boat salvage yards

Did an act of DUMB, and shattered the port windshield on my 1989 stratos 289FS. Tried google, and left a couple of messages at a couple of sites. Most boat salvage yards are for BIG BOATS.
    Found out who the original manufacturer was for the windshield glass, and contacted them. No luck. They will try to match it; but they will only do it in plexiglass, and need a template. As there is a slight bend in it, kinda hard to do a template. A local glass place said they could do it until we found the slight bend in the glass. Then it was game over.
    I have contacted C&O marine. They have nothing in a walk-through windshield.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Steve

try great lakes skipper

3. Member
    Why not let the insurance do the leg work and find the replacement?

Walk thru windshields are not cheap and you are going to pay out of pocket regardless, so pay the deductible and let them work for you.

Just a thought.

4. Member
    Thanks for the responses.
    Thanks to the help of a gentleman from a local glass company, I found out that the original came from Marine glass specialties, which when you go to their site, connects with Taylor made.

They said they could reproduce it; but only in plastic.
    I found another thread from a person who used custom mold and tint, and I will be contacting them as soon as time permits. I'm retired; but it seems more things pop up that I have to take care of, then when I was still working.
    I have not checked Great Lakes Skipper; but I will.
    As far as the insurance company, from what I read the average cost of the glass will be between $150.00m to $160.00. Which is close to my deductible, so I'll just pay for the new glass.

Thanks again for all the response. It is appreciated.

Steve

5. Member
    Glad you have located it. Not worth filing claim for that amount as ins. companies can/do penalize for claims. I try to save mine for a major expense.