Thread: Crab Orchard

Crab Orchard

I am planning on hitting Crab Orchard on Friday and looking for suggestion on a good ramp to use for solo launching. It has probably been 30 plus years since I have been there but it was always one of my dad favorite lakes. Also anyone have a read on water temp down there?

Thanks,

2. Member
    Never fished Crab but last week up the road at Kinkaid water temp was 60. This cold front probably shut em down pretty good but good luck! Better than laying on the couch!

I haven’t been there in a couple of years but always used the Northwest ramp. It’s a nice ramp
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Do yourself a favor, go to Kinkaid. You will be happy you did.

5. Member
    Any new updates on Crab, with the warm weather this week I assume it would be good.

I went today and didn’t catch a thing. Granted, that’s the first lake I’ve even fished in IL and not really even sure how the fish set up there. I fished mostly shallow backwaters but did venture out on the main lake a little before I broke my trolling motor prop and called it a day. Only fished for about 3 hours.

Water temp was 61 on the main lake and as high as 67 in the backs of creeks. Water clarity was about a foot. Lots of Shad activity and the crappie anglers seemed to be doing well.