Thread: Impact Tape

Impact Tape

In all my years of practice, and taking lessons last year, I had never used impact tape. After reading the practice manual by Adam Young, I realized how important it is to understand where you are hitting the club face.
    So, I purchased the impact tape and placed it on my 52 degree wedge. I hit ten shots and all the shots felt like they normally do, which is mildly acceptable, but not great. I look at the tape and all the shots were consistently on the toe
    of the club and low. So, I moved 1/2 inch closer to the ball. Still had a tight grouping, a little higher on the face, but still to the toe side of the club. So, I moved another 1/2 inch closer to the ball. Before I even looked at the tape I could tell
    by the feel and sound I was hitting the center, plus I was making a nice divot. Sure enough, when I looked a the tape I had a nice grouping in the middle of the club face.

I have read for years the importance of hitting the sweet spot of the club, but until you exprerience it you have no idea......I was swinging at 50% speed and my ball was flying 80% of my normal distance. It was one of those moments
    when you think to yourself why oh why did I not do this sooner.

Just thought I would share my expeience. My address position now has the hosel of the club lined up with the ball, without reaching, and that now allows me to hit the center of the club face with my swing. I will try again Saturday and hopefully get the same results.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Foot spray powder works as well.

Well, for those following along at home, more practice with the impact tape. I hit 100 balls and I am hitting just to the toe side of center, but it is a consistent pattern. So, that is acceptable to me for now, ball flight is good. After the first 75 balls, all of which were at about 50% swing speed, I started to crank up the swing speed. So, the next 20 I was up to about 80% swing speed and 15 yards longer than my usual distance. I tried to Bryson the last 5 just to see how far I could hit it, but that did not go well. I hit it a long ways but also a massive pull shot. So, I will keep tinkering with swing speed until I find a balance between power and a constant center of club face strike. I have plenty of tape, so the journey conitinues...we need a golf emoticon.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.