Rear tires rub on sidewall of fiberglass fender?

New Bass Cat Owner! Tandem axle 2019 Caracal rear or first axle from motor tires are rubbing fender on sidewall. I just bought the boat Monday. Boat driver side rubs more than passenger side. Thoughts ideas or suggestions?
    The boat so far blows me a way I have to wait a few days to get on the water and get some seat time but very impressed.

Thanks

2. Member
    Are you a second owner? You need to post some detailed pics so guys can be better informed on how to comment. Best to get it to a dealer if it’s under warranty if not a trailer shop for evaluation.

do you have the 18" Bass Sport wheels.....did previous owner put those wheels on himself? If so those wheels require a different fender. As mentioned post some pictures and that will be helpful.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

CB79A2EE-AE88-4AE4-8242-4C464448079E.jpeg This is the boat driver side, most wear. Bass Sport rims are on build specs from factory.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Take the wheel off and check to see if the torque arm is loose on the axle.

6. Member
    From the side view, it seems there is plenty of clearance between the tire and fender. BTW, that is the correct fender for the BCB 18in wheels.
    That is a wide tire mounted and they seem pretty new. Make sure its the correct size for that 18in wheel.

If the TQ arm has loosened, you should be able to tell by raising it (the tire) and grabbing the tire and checking for movement.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Yes, the arm can also be move one notch and reset, raising the trailer slightly.

Tire is rubbing on the inside, sidewall.Top to bottom no clearance problems. I will check this weekend.

What size tires are those?
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Tire size
    255/55/R18
    General Grabber

Happy Easter Boys/Girls!
    I may have fixed rub issue. When I took tire off fender was rubbed thru. Not good. I noticed front the axle hub arm was flush to axle shaft and rear was further in. See pic of rear. I moved rear arm out to match front axle and now looks good. I only moved 3/32 of an inch. Sound ok?70DCF976-A713-411E-92A5-89FA93847B1C.jpeg

It’s the same issue as there is a radius notch in the splined shaft, which the bolt rides in the radius of. The reason it floated inside is the bolt tension (torque was off at some time and the bolt rode inside. It doesn’t have that much play in it and there is no saying this is the original arm.

That is a brakes rotor and they are significantly more expensive. We will be running a special on complete brake idler assemblies in a few weeks. We have several Vault style in stock for replacement and we are just going to blow them out and go all grease.

We think that will require a complete axle and idler assembly. If you remove it either the radius groove or bolt are worn. It could be the idler is stretch oval and oblonged also.

BCB

I have owned my first Bass Cat for a week and if I understand correctly you are telling me I need to spend a significant amount of more money on a trailer Bass Cat prides itself on being superior? Its a 2019 and was built for Dylan Pierce. I assumed I got the best of the bunch. I apologize if I am coming across a bit upset, but this issue does not sit well with me right now.

It never sits well with us either though something caused this issue, they don’t just happen. No matter who’s boat this was, it’s now been through one or two owners since manufacture. Also we don’t make any of the components as you vent about the trailer. If one wheel has an issue, then the question is what and why.

We buy the best we can today and those are Dexter/UFP, which Dexter bought UFP about 2017 range. They also bought Tie Down and two other smaller manufacturers and they now control the major portion of the marine trailer market. We feel all of those are sub-standard to where they were pre-Dexter. We are all scrambling now to find an exit from Dexter as the marine segment is only about 6% of their revenue. Thus they show little interest, it seems, on improving.

When it gets pulled down you will be able to see what the cause or what is happening. If the bolt is in the slot and the idler is not oblong then nothing may be necessary. These bolts are torqued to 150 ft. lbs. and they must be kept tight. The bolts used in a 2019 are the ones Dexter provided were grade 5 and in 2020 we changed to our own purchased Grade 8 idler bolts, which seems to have helped immensely. We have not have an idler issue wince going to Grade 8, this was against Dexters opinion.

There you have more and we have our own vent.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Cullbynoon View Post
    I have owned my first Bass Cat for a week and if I understand correctly you are telling me I need to spend a significant amount of more money on a trailer Bass Cat prides itself on being superior? Its a 2019 and was built for Dylan Pierce. I assumed I got the best of the bunch. I apologize if I am coming across a bit upset, but this issue does not sit well with me right now.
    you did purchase a used boat and upon inspection of the boat before signing the check going through the trailer thoroughly you should have caught the rubbing and negotiated that into the price....a 2019 trailer could have upwards of 30K miles on it...one trip hopping a curb could cause the idler arm to loosen or improper torqueing as BCB mentioned. I had to replace all four idler arms and both axles on my 2013 as the previous owner was inept at towing a trailer or any basic trailer maintenance. unfortunately most all boat trailers use the same torsion axles and idler arm setups so it is not BCB specific and is all that is offered outside of the traditional leaf spring setup.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Does it matter that inner tire touching on fender only happens when turning or backing up and turning. Straight line with normal bumps etc tires do not rub. Boat was towed home 1200 miles. Tried moving torsion arm out and also moving up 4 splines. No help.

Thanks

BassCat=Family!
    Super Happy my inner tire wear issue has been resolved! Thanks for the help, communications and follow thru BassCat! Big shout out to Daylon and the BassCat trailer Guru Guy who supplied pictures and instructions on where my spindles should be set. BassCat even offered to pay for the work. At this point I think I could work at BassCat I have removed my tires and spindles so many times! I did the work myself. Once more time, not a problem! BassSport rims and tires are heavy boys and girls. After resetting spindles I grab my kids sidewalk chalk marked up inside of tires and went for a ride. My expectations were low because I did this once but only on the axle that rubbed. Not both axles. Sure enough as soon as I pulled out of my driveway no squeaking went around town a few miles turning sharper than I have been to really test axles. Got home checked chalk and all marks still there! Icing on the cake BassCat shipped me 2 new General tires yesterday! Above and beyond my expectations!
    Thanks again BassCat! I am an official BassCat life Member!

18. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools