2007 optimax 90hp lower unit install

#1B350045

on day 2, tried and can't get the lower unit the last 1/8th inch after an impeller service. tried for 1 hour yesterday and another hour today after some research but the lower unit always stops dead and won't budge the last 1/8th. I know I'm missing something but can't figure it out at this point. The shift shaft is engaged, at least somewhat as I can move the throttle to F N R and the prop follows suit. i installed it in N.

the drive shaft seems to generally be engaged as the fly wheel turns the prop and vice versa.

the back end seems like it wants to fully mesh as i could probably force the gap shut but something up at the front is absolutely not moving.

thanks in advance

2. Member
    if it only like 1/8 its probly just dowells not ingaged in holes snug it a lil with wrench
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    My 2.5L Optimax has been that way since new and have always had to draw it up using a wrench to fully seat dowels.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    ok great, i've been using a ratchet strap for a second set of hands as it gets heavy fiddling around for an hour. i will add the washers and nuts back on, tighten them up and report back

this makes sense as it was a pain getting off in the first place, needed some solid whacking with a mallet - (drive shaft splines were not corroded)

5. Member
    OMG dont be whacking on nothing thats gold under that black paint
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    OMG dont be whacking on nothing thats gold under that black paint
    You got that right!

Also- make sure you don't have any grease ON TOP of the driveshaft. Splines: Yes. Top of driveshaft must be dry.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    ok noted- i used a rubber mallet and a wood buffer so i don't think i did any surface damage but the lower unit wasn't coming off without persuasion. In the future would you suggest gently prying at the seam then if this lower unit will continue to stick both on and off ?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't pry- that's a good way to damage something. Rubber mallet (within reason) is normally sufficient.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    RESOLVED.

Thanks Joe, Silverfox & Don. I added the nuts back on and it sinched right up with the wrench.

10. Member

11. Member
    That's what I have to do every time I service my lower unit, including a plastic dead blow to get lower off the dowels. Next time I have lower unit off I'm "massaging" the dowel pins and/or holes as the lower unit isn't getting any lighter and I'm sure not getting any younger.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax