Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I realize that. But there’s more places in the country other than the 4 listed that are more than capable of handling a classic with a good body of water close by.
    You also have to factor in the "Want To" of the venue. The city/tourism/venue has to be willing to pony up a big sum of cash as well as provide a lot of man hours of service to get the event. Extra police, extra city workers hauling trash, buses, different things.

When setting up one of these deals, be it an Elite Tournament, a Classic, or a Major League Fishing Bass Pro or whatever, there's a huge punch list of things that have to be done, services that are needed, equipment, tools, you name it. My guess is the comfort of all involved plays a factor in it.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Knoxville was awesome. Expo, weighin, and launch all within walking distance
    Went to both. I liked Greenville a lot better. Better expo layout. Knoxville take off was a cluster.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    They had an Elite Series there in 2008 on Old Hickory. It was in June and the weights were terrible. I think about 55 lbs won it for a 4 day tournament. 5 fish limits were in the single digits! I don't think the Elite Series ever went back.
    I remember that. Kevin Wirth won it I think. Old Hickory has been a really good lake the past several years. Grass has really come on in the lake has helped a lot. It's chock full of fish and not much dead water. Guys would be able to fish their strengths and still be competitive most likely. Usually takes 18-20lbs to win one day tournaments there but weights are always tight down the list which would be entertaining for a multi day event. In March when the Classic would hypothetically be there it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the winner would have between 55 and 60lbs for 3 days which would put it on par with many recent Classics. Priest usually has a little higher weights and kicks out 7-9lbers a couple times a year. Some solid smallies in Priest as well. Either would make a great venue imo.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    You also have to factor in the "Want To" of the venue. The city/tourism/venue has to be willing to pony up a big sum of cash as well as provide a lot of man hours of service to get the event. Extra police, extra city workers hauling trash, buses, different things.

When setting up one of these deals, be it an Elite Tournament, a Classic, or a Major League Fishing Bass Pro or whatever, there's a huge punch list of things that have to be done, services that are needed, equipment, tools, you name it. My guess is the comfort of all involved plays a factor in it.
    Not sure if most folks don't realize or just don't take into account how important all that is but you are absolutely right.

Not a fan of going to the same place over and over.

6. Member
    Great news. Don't have to travel for this one.

7. Member
    Why is the expo and weigh ins at two different locations?
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    There is no arena at the expo center.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    Because the Expo is so massive it takes up all of the 91,000 square feet at the Greenville Convention Center. Plus its only a 5 min drive depending on the traffic to the Bon Secour Wellness Arena.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    Agreed! Bring it back to the OH River!
    I agree with this. Make them fish some where they truly have to fish

11. Member
    Like to see it at Table Rock someday..

12. Banned
    As long as it’s not 11 degrees at takeout again, I’m in. I marshaled at the last classic there before all the guys left for mlf.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger62 View Post
    Already reserved us a campsite at Tugaloo State Park. Can watch them on the water or drive to the expo about an hour away. Any excuse to use our camper lol.

Nice campground but that's sure way up the Tugaloo, did you look at any of the state parks, private campgrounds on the SC side? Twin Lakes on the Seneca river is a nice campground and very close to Green Pond. There's a KOA right at the entrance to Portman Shoals. Both those campgrounds have close access to I-85 also. There is also Springfield campground on the south end of the lake on Big Water.

Looking forward to it. Not far from the house.

15. Member
    I would love to see a mid June Classic on Lake Minnetonka. The lake is plenty big enough to host a 50 boat tourney and so many different patterns would be at play. It would take 75-80 to win a 3 day event out there. Smallies and Largemouth mixed, everywhere from deep rocks, weeds, slop, docks. Would be a lot of fun to see. Lake Vermilion would be another great venue for a June Classic or an Elite event. I don't think you could host an Elite on Tonka, don't think it would hold that many boats for a four day event.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StretcherJockey View Post
    Not sure if most folks don't realize or just don't take into account how important all that is but you are absolutely right.
    I ran a county fair for about 20 years as board treasurer and one of the 3 guys that handled the livestock events. (Horse show and mule pull) We, the livestock guys, made the money that paid for the rest of the fair, and the first couple of years were "Experiments". We figured out in time what we needed, what worked, what didn't work, etc. By year 10 we had it down to a science. Everybody on our crew knew what pieces were their responsibility, where to call to get it, and so forth.

People ask "Why Guntersville?" Sure, there are plenty of lakes in Alabama. We fished Wedowee last week. On some places around the lake a cell phone had 1/2 bar of service. Most of the lake, none. That's not acceptable to operate a Bassmaster Classic that needs a strong cell signal to send information from the boats to the control center for the internet, television, etc. Guntersville has that.

When they went to a Early Spring Classic they limited themselves in areas of the country due to weather. They got lucky at Loudon 2 years ago.

The first Classic I worked on Guntersville seemed better than the last one. The Construction at BJCC had the parking screwed up. The first one they had a big enough boat yard that we could park there and go to the weigh in. Last year the parking was a cluster down there. Knoxville, UT is pretty greedy on parking too. I'd say that's on someone's punch list if they come back to Knoxville.

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post

I don’t think you will see Nashville hosting a Classic, we are overrun with events. The city is broke and they sure don’t need to pony up money to host a fishing tournament. Also, Old Hickory while it may take 17lbs. to win a one day event, I don’t think can support a multi-day showing required to gain interest. Both the local lakes get beat to death weekly as it is now.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

They haven't been to NY since 1980
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    They have not been at Grand since 2016
    2019 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PT180 View Post
    I don’t think you will see Nashville hosting a Classic, we are overrun with events. The city is broke and they sure don’t need to pony up money to host a fishing tournament. Also, Old Hickory while it may take 17lbs. to win a one day event, I don’t think can support a multi-day showing required to gain interest. Both the local lakes get beat to death weekly as it is now.
    City is broke, so they don't want to have an event that will bring in millions of dollars in revenue.....makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    City is broke, so they don't want to have an event that will bring in millions of dollars in revenue.....makes sense to me.
    City does not have the money to hand out. They have plenty of events that they don’t have to fund in order to be had in Nashville. Economics of city management and Nashville is not good at it.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast