12/24 motorguide battery wiring

I recently bought a 1998 procraft 180 combo with a 12/24 motorguide trolling motor. One of the TM batterie was missing so im not sure how i should have the wires connected to both batteries once i have a second battery installed. There appears to be 2 red wires and 1 black wire leading to the batteries. In addition there is another short (about 12 inches) red wire that has two terminal rings on it. I think that wire could be a jumper but its seems a little thin for that as its the same gauge as the other wires. Any help with how i should connect this so i can run my motor on 24 V without problems would be helpful. I an provide pics if needed.

2. Member
    Chances are there are 2 positives and 2 negatives and the jumper to make 24 volts is in the plug up front. If you have a volt meter, you can wire it using one pair from the batteries, with a jumper between. Since the 2 reds are the same color, a voltmeter will tell you which is which up front once you hook it up.

3. Member
    One red to the positive of one battery, the other red to the positive to the other battery. The jumper wire goes to positive to negative between your batteries. The black wire is ground and will go on the negative of the battery without a wire connected to it.

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    A short jumper does not need to be near as large at the long run power wires......it will have little voltage loss being a short length.