Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    20210427_185545[1].jpg20210427_185559[1].jpg20210427_185610[1].jpg20210427_185654[1].jpg OK so I think my ground wire is connected from ball to trailer or am I missing the point? The first picture is from the connection between trailer to lights and from the 7pin. But the ground is screwed at 2 points on the tongue and the solenoid bottom. The lights only flickered when I wiggle the tongue or the solenoid. I've tried moving all the wires around but doesn't affect the flickering. I don't know if this was caused by taking apart and reinstalling the actuator back in place or was it always the issue because I've never really pay attention while hooking the trailer to the truck in the past.

2. Member
    Ok so if you already have that white wire into your 7 pin, the ball to tongue connection isn’t the problem. Not sure I’m completely following what is happening after that. The ground then goes back to the solenoid and then to a screw into the frame? Or does it go from the 7 pin to a screw on the frame and the solenoid is also screwed to the frame?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Ok so if you already have that white wire into your 7 pin, the ball to tongue connection isn’t the problem. Not sure I’m completely following what is happening after that. The ground then goes back to the solenoid and then to a screw into the frame? Or does it go from the 7 pin to a screw on the frame and the solenoid is also screwed to the frame?
    Yes, The ground goes from the pin to 2 screws, one into the bottom of solenoid and other one goes to under the swing tongue. But Im wondering why the lights flickered when Im swing or moving the tongue side or side with every wire point tightly fit, nothing was loose, only the solenoid part which goes into the shock/piston is little loose but how can that interfere with the ground?

Sounds like you have a Ground issue. The Ground wire on the trailer needs to be attached to the trailer frame on the boat side of the swing away tongue. Also, you need to check for power from the Truck to the plug on the truck, then thru the Plug. The white wire is ground and the blue wire is the back up lights/brake lock-out. Try un-hooking the trailer from the truck but leave the plug in and then see if you have all lights, running lights, stop lights, back-up lights and turn signals. Everything should work with out the trailer connected. If not, then most likely its the ground wire from the plug to the trailer.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    The lights only flickered when I wiggle the tongue or the solenoid.
    Sounds like a ground issue.

Check or redo each crimp for each of the ground connections for corrosion or poor contact.

Some solenoids use the mounting bolt as the ground for the solenoid.

Good Luck

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Sounds like you have a Ground issue. The Ground wire on the trailer needs to be attached to the trailer frame on the boat side of the swing away tongue. Also, you need to check for power from the Truck to the plug on the truck, then thru the Plug. The white wire is ground and the blue wire is the back up lights/brake lock-out. Try un-hooking the trailer from the truck but leave the plug in and then see if you have all lights, running lights, stop lights, back-up lights and turn signals. Everything should work with out the trailer connected. If not, then most likely its the ground wire from the plug to the trailer.
    Yes, the ground is screwed on just like you mentioned. see the above pics for reference.

LOL, so the trailer is supposed to be hooked up to the truck via ball and the plug? I've just been plugging the lights into to truck BUT not hooked up to truck. With just the plug in, the lights do come on though. But this is only to test why the lights flickered when wiggling the tongue.

My real problem is why the REVERSE lights go off, or is locking when I back up in my driveway? And not locking with no plug in.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    Yes, the ground is screwed on just like you mentioned. see the above pics for reference.

LOL, so the trailer is supposed to be hooked up to the truck via ball and the plug? I've just been plugging the lights into to truck BUT not hooked up to truck. With just the plug in, the lights do come on though. But this is only to test why the lights flickered when wiggling the tongue.

My real problem is why the REVERSE lights go off, or is locking when I back up in my driveway? And not locking with no plug in.
    The ball plays no part in the lights or brakes on the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The ball plays no part in the lights or brakes on the trailer.
    Just wanted to make sure he wasn't using the trailer ball for a ground
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12