Low water yr in St Lawrence River

In laws wanted to make use of the great weather last week, so we opened up the lake house for the yr up at Blind Bay/Chippewa Bay area. As I walked out onto the back deck, I was greeted by what I have not seen in a few yrs, very low water level to the point where I am wondering if I will even be able to have the boat at the dock. WTF, these morons that I controlling the water level have no freaking clue of what they are doing, since we have gone from 1 side of the pendulum to the other side.
    So, unless the levels comes up some, be aware of all the shoals that will be coming out, and all the near shore fishing spots that you will not be able to use, since all the crap that was covered or floated in the last high water yrs onto shore, now looks like total azz.
    Anyway, sorry for the rant, but it sucks for all of us that enjoy The River, and I wish y'all a great new fishing season.

2. Member
    I hear ya. In laws just spent some serious coin on raising their breakwall/docks to match the recent high waters. Now we've gotta construct some sort of dock to get down to the water. Really screwing with us now.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

3. Member
    The one thing they can't control is Mother Nature. We had very little snow this year and almost no rain this Spring. Erie is low as well, it's no ones fault. If lake level had been kept high going into winter and we got hit, property owners would be screaming because of the flooding. Sometimes things just are what they are. Hopefully April and May will be wet or we are in for a bad fishing and boating season. People are already having a bear of a time getting boats off of trailers and this is supposed to be when it's easiest.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    We had very little snow this year
    yeah we got it all down here 102 inches

5. Member
    KK, I believe that your snowmelt goes down southward, but the thing that ticks me off is no correction was done even though they could clearly see that way into Feb, we had very little snow or precipitation of any kind. I guess that once they set a contract for the amount of hydro power to all the big cities, it hard to let go that money and kickbacks.
    BTW, Rochester area, we supposed to get somewhere between 100-120" yr, but the entire state was lacking, since even my uncle Bruce was complaining that he was short changed up at Lowville cutting into his snowmachine fun time.

6. Member
    It has a lot to do with upper Great Lake level as well. If Erie is low, it has to come from somewhere.

7. Member
    jerzia,
    I understand all the flow of the Great Lakes, and that we are the last one. However, the Canucks control the flow valve, so it is kinda like me making the money and my wife is the 1 managing the spending, which works about as good as the IJC with the water level.
    I know the problems that the shoreline has had in the last few yrs, and some of my neighbors couldn't even work on their flooded property cause Ferguson Dr, West Beach Rd, Lakeshore Dr, E n W Wantoma, Edgemere Dr, etc were under water, but I am sure we can all agree that between the shipping companies and power companies, we matter the least.
    I am sure we will get through it, and like C-19, we will navigate through it some how.

8. Member
    Man I sure hope so. The last few years being idle only for much of the Spring early Summer was bad enough. Low water, at least for boaters and fisherman could be even worse if we have a hot dry Summer.

9. Member
    Yea, 2016 was pretty nasty and did most of my fishing up near the channel islands, shoals and drop off. If it stays low, I will launch at Schermerhorn and not even bother putting in a dock for the 14' tin boat since it only needs a few inches of water with the 9.9, since I don't really keep the bass rig in the water most of the time anyway.
    We were able to put my FIL 21' Penn Yan at the dock for them to use most of the yr, and I was hoping to do the same this yr, since they are in their 80s with mom not being in the best of health.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    KK, I believe that your snowmelt goes down southward, but the thing that ticks me off is no correction was done even though they could clearly see that way into Feb, we had very little snow or precipitation of any kind. I guess that once they set a contract for the amount of hydro power to all the big cities, it hard to let go that money and kickbacks.
    BTW, Rochester area, we supposed to get somewhere between 100-120" yr, but the entire state was lacking, since even my uncle Bruce was complaining that he was short changed up at Lowville cutting into his snowmachine fun time.
    for sure why i said we got it all down here you guys were very lacking up there the southern tier part of new york took a pounding.

11. Member
    Good news and bad news, and the bad news it is snowing out on April 21 with 3" on the ground though I was mowing in T top 2 days ago.

The good news, more water throughout the great lakes to bring things up some, and IJC had acknowledged that lake Ontario level is at near critical low level, so they are going to cut back on the outflow to normalize levels. They are going to monitor conditions and the information on the hydrologic conditions and water level, and outflows, including graphics and photos will be available at:
    https://www.ijc.org/en/loslrb and also posted on their Facebook page.