Thread: Santee in April

Santee in April

A couple of my buddies and I are bringing our sons down from April 8-11. We are staying at the State Park, but can trailer anywhere. I'm asking if anyone could share some locations and techniques for finding and catching largemouth bass this time of year? I've fished here before, maybe three times total, and have a basic knowledge of the system. I guess I'm looking for any info that might help us save some time finding areas where we can catch some bass and make some memories.
    Thanks in advance.

I'm leaving Wednesday and will be there until April 12. If you recall seeing the show that Zona did with Patrick Walters, they were fishing the slave ditch area of Angel's Cove on the lower lake. That show was shot in early April of 2019, just a week after I came home. Jack's Creek should still be good, as should the Bass Island area in the upper lake between the Diversion Canal and Rocks Pond. If it gets super windy (and it will a day or two) you can always launch at the Hatchery and fish the ditch behind it. Those are most of the areas that we usually fish this time of year.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I'm leaving Wednesday and will be there until April 12. If you recall seeing the show that Zona did with Patrick Walters, they were fishing the slave ditch area of Angel's Cove on the lower lake. That show was shot in early April of 2019, just a week after I came home. Jack's Creek should still be good, as should the Bass Island area in the upper lake between the Diversion Canal and Rocks Pond. If it gets super windy (and it will a day or two) you can always launch at the Hatchery and fish the ditch behind it. Those are most of the areas that we usually fish this time of year.
    I saw about a 100 boats heading to each of these spots this AM. Have a save trip Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    I saw about a 100 boats heading to each of these spots this AM. Have a save trip Jeff.
    No kidding. Went the other day and it was ridiculously crowded. Fishing in a crowd like that isn't for me. As soon as someone pulled off of an area, someone came in and it went like that over and over. I also kept my eye on everyone and didn't see the first fish catch.
    USMC Vet!

5. Member
    Was down there Friday and Saturday fishing just outside of Taw Caw. The BFL armada on Saturday headed those directions as well.

6. Member
    my last trip early april...we caught two bass over 3 days, fished the entirety of stumphole basically, eutaw and the hatchery...i personally didnt catch a fish in three days

caught some decent by catch at least i guess...dont catch too many blue cats, big gar, chain pickerel, giant bowfins, and shellcrackers up north. Also had a 100+lb alligator gar follow a chatterbait boatside...scared the living hell out of me.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

7. Member
    We smoked them this past Sunday. We caught 73 bass between 10 and 2. Was not very far from the state park. Best day of fishing I have ever had. Many many 5lb class bass. It as really slowed down sense then. Caught around 30 bass since Sunday. Black and blue flack was the only color they would bite.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    We smoked them this past Sunday. We caught 73 bass between 10 and 2. Was not very far from the state park. Best day of fishing I have ever had. Many many 5lb class bass. It as really slowed down sense then. Caught around 30 bass since Sunday. Black and blue flack was the only color they would bite.
    These posts kill me. How much time between fish? I guess yall were hooked up every couple of mins for 4 hours?
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    These posts kill me. How much time between fish? I guess yall were hooked up every couple of mins for 4 hours?
    Pretty much. For the most part sure the F did!

Pretty much. For the most part sure the F did!
    Ok, i did the math. You had to hook one every 3 mins and 30 secs for 4 hours. That also has to include fighting all those 5lbers, driving around from spot to spot , taking pictures, taking a piss, drinking water, changing baits or whatever else.

IF you say so, i guess you did it.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    Ok, i did the math. You had to hook one every 3 mins and 30 secs for 4 hours. That also has to include fighting all those 5lbers, driving around from spot to spot , taking pictures, taking a piss, drinking water, changing baits or whatever else.

IF you say so, i guess you did it.
    Your math would be right if I was by myself but I was not. There was three of us. You have no clue what you are talking about. I have nothing to prove to you and could care less about your opinion.

12. Member
    Going with my son tomorrow, but we’ll be 180 degrees away from where you were, we’ll be either in lower Marion or somewhere on Moultrie. You get them on trees or pads? Any on beds?

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Going with my son tomorrow, but we’ll be 180 degrees away from where you were, we’ll be either in lower Marion or somewhere on Moultrie. You get them on trees or pads? Any on beds?
    Typically the majority of bass are spawning in March on Santee. Probably will be after post spawn bass. I would expect it to be very tough and crowded. Hate to sound negative, but Santee is not typically a place where 50+ bass are caught in a day.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

14. Member
    Thought I'd update this.
    Fished for 3 full days, Thurs - Sat. Weather was awesome. Lake is a full pool, good water clarity. Caught 6 fish. Really frustrating place to fish. Everything looks fishy, but so few bites. Did lose a monster in the Hatchery. Other than that, I do not plan on returning here. Too far to go for to few fish. I know the locals whack them here, and good for them. I'm sticking closer to home. Thanks to everyone who tried to help out with advice and information.

15. Mike Lamb
    We had club travel tournament 10th - 11th April. I weighed in 7 bass and lost way to many. It was great lake and time. Other then the place we stayed (owner). I will head back. Only way I could catch them was on frog. I was fishing behind the road in Jacks creek. I did loose two that hurt. One was possible my PB. It was close to double digit bass. Now running from spot to spot. I was little scared. so many times it was idle.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by ldzoller View Post
    Thought I'd update this.
    Fished for 3 full days, Thurs - Sat. Weather was awesome. Lake is a full pool, good water clarity. Caught 6 fish. Really frustrating place to fish. Everything looks fishy, but so few bites. Did lose a monster in the Hatchery. Other than that, I do not plan on returning here. Too far to go for to few fish. I know the locals whack them here, and good for them. I'm sticking closer to home. Thanks to everyone who tried to help out with advice and information.
    Thats how i feel about Santee nowadays. Its just not worth it to risk crashing every time you run on pad, fighting crowds , and just not catching many fish. If i were you , I would take the trip to Erie for smallmouth. Its great every time i go up there in the spring.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

17. Member
    Santee is a amazing place to fish. You just have to put in the time to learn the lakes. You are not just going to show up once a year and whack them but that's true with any lake.

Santee is a amazing place to fish. You just have to put in the time to learn the lakes. You are not just going to show up once a year and whack them but that's true with any lake.
    THIS^^^. We fished from April 4-10. I've been fishing there for 35 years and my buddy grew up fishing there. It still took us 3 days to begin to narrow our search. the first wave had spawned and the second wave hadn't staged shallow yet. The fish should have been on the trees stretching from the mouth of the canal to Rock's Pond...but they weren't. They should have been in some of the black water ponds in that same area...but they weren't. We did catch some fish in the lower lake. We had a good day in the swamp...our best 5 would have gone 22 pounds. Then, we had an epic day on the lower lake (exact area will remain anonymous!) and our best 5 would have gone 31 pounds!

As noted above, Santee is not a place you can just show up and catch fish. You need the patience to figure them out.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Member
    I've fished Santee for over 30 years and it can be challenging at times. Water temperature, water level, moon phase, water clarity, all play into your strategy. For the majority of time you can find fish but it does seem it gets more and more difficult every year.