Trailer Bunks....

I've got a 10 year old trailer, noticed this weekend that one of the smaller outside bunks, has become detached from the rear. Looking for experience here, who has replaced and did you use treated or untreated wood?
    '21 Silverado 1500 Duramax
    '12 Nitro Z9 Mercury ProXs 250
    Power Pole
    Lowrance
    Elite Rods
    Venom Lures

If using treated lumber use kiln dried pressure treated (kdpt)

read standard green pressure treat the chemicals react with fiberglass and lead to blisters as well as the screws not holding well.

other wood choices are good but I can't state what type because I don't remember but something like cedar?

im about to need new bunks and am looking into gatorbacks rather than carpet.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Look up gatorbacks or ultimate bunk boards.com.

I did the gatorbacks. Very nice product. To the OP you might as well replace all of the boards.
    Last edited by BMCD; 03-30-2021 at 08:34 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I replaced my bunks last year with green-treated and Gatorbaks. I wouldn't do it any other way, for sure.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I did the gatorbacks. Very nice product. To the OP you might as well replace all of the boards.
    How did you deal with the planed out area at the end of the outside bunks? I am going to the lake this afternoon to replace mine that I built according to a drawing Tracker sent to me. It showed the last `12" of the boards planed down 3/8". Funny thing is I'm pretty sure the screws were the same length as the others. I'm going to use 1" instead of 1-1/2" to make up the difference but I'm thinking I would really like to switch to a different material next time.

U just taper it off. Not sure I'm understanding the question. I used the existing lag bolts with no issue.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    That's what I was asking essentially. The person at the trailer plant said they put 4 layers of carpet in the planed area. I was wondering if you put anything under the gatorbak in the planed area or just installed the gatorbak over the planed area.

I did not but you could definitely could do that, in the past I just took the carpet they had and put it under the the material.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team