Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury 4 stroke 250 issue

Last weekend it was “sluggish” and lost maybe 3-4mph top end. Wrote it off to weather conditions, but felt like I couldn’t get any bow lift at all.
    Fast forward to this weekend and Saturday had lost maybe 5-8mph and still no bow lift, holeshot wasn’t great but not extremely poor. Went back Sunday and lost 8-10mph and around mid morning when cranked you could just tell it didn’t sound right, holeshot was drastically diminished and surf out of the hole delayed and poor. I have maintained full RPMs (around 5700-5900 on 26p 3 blade fury). Doesn’t miss a lick, runs good but sounds funny now (almost echoing/no growl/like it is getting air or something) so ended with funny sound at idle and running (no knocking just different pitch noise than normal) lost 10mph speed, poor holeshot, and no bow lift. Shop can’t get to it until next weekend. Any ideas what to look at? Not sure if I’m leaning towards coil pack or compressor type problem - but have not played with the new 4-strokes yet - used to the optimax’s. Any help appreciated.

250 4 stoke
    Serial #2B592978

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to have them check the basics... Print the Run and Freeze Frame (Fault) Histories, and check for any exhaust problems (such as idle relief/muffler tube loose).

Really need to get that engine up into the 6100-6200 RPM range... as you're leaving a lot on the table in terms of performance. 24P Fury (MAX) on that 21' Ranger (and could probably run a 23P if you're loaded heavy, especially in warmer weather).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I’m running upper 70s as is - ran a 24 and it was poor, couldn’t get any speed before running rpm limit. Holeshot wasn’t even that good. I have guys every weekend quizzing me on setup given I run past them all the time. Never had one setup this perfect, she will stroll for a lead sled as they say.

Update: shop can’t get to it until next week. Cranked it on the VesselView to check it and nothing beneficial there, not much better intel than the smart craft gauge. Will see what gives next week.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Josh... Smartcraft is Mercury's proprietary engine communication technology (not any particular gauge). Your Vessel View is "Smartcraft" as it's connected to the Smartcraft Network communicating between the engine and you. ALL Smartcraft Instruments utilize and offer essentially the same information and data to you in some format or another (differences are primarily the user-interface).

I definitely have to agree- that has GOT to be one of the best set-up Rangers... to lose 8-10 MPH and still be in the upper 70's as-is. If you can replicate the setup, I'd bet there are a few folks that would be glad to have your help with theirs.

Be sure to report back after your dealer gets it checked out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Clarification: I’m referencing when motor is fully functional when I’m stating upper 70s, not right now. I’m down 10 from that due to some type of issue right now.

6. Member
    Curious what Ranger hull you're running.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

7. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    I would check the gas cap vent if that’s where it’s vented.

Fastest Ranger on the water sounds like! Hope you get it worked out.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

9. Member
    Yep, he is flying.

10. Member
    Hi guys - shop figured it out we think. Lower unit was failing. Found shavings and “an ear/tooth” laying inside that had chipped off. Warranty should cover unless something crazy happens.

sounded like they were not surprised and had seen quite a few already, betting merc is working on a gen 3 to support the extra torque on the V8s long term.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Doubt that they're working on a "gen-3" as this is a whole new gearcase already. Haven't seen much for problems on this case.

I'm sure that the dealer will reference Service Bulletin 2004-11 to rule out any potential problems with Impact (single-tooth failures are listed in the bulletin).

12. Member
    Don, think you nailed it. i'm havent had a chance to speak with any of them yet but got a note today indicating Merc wasnt going to cover under warranty - the text indicated they were citing impact damage - i'll be honest, theres no chance of that - i haven't hit anything so im at a loss.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See if you can get a couple of high-resolution pictures of the damaged components (as well as the broken tooth area of the gear) to post.

14. Member
    supposed to pick it up this week, will see if i can get pics. Merc held firm on no coverage. Claimed scratches and chips on skeg were indicative of impact (im paraphrasing through dealer). will see what i can come up with but between insurance and dealer i should be back on the water this weekend.

15. Member
    Friend told me good luck getting a 250 or 300 lower unit warrantied
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Friend told me good luck getting a 250 or 300 lower unit warrantied
    Ron... Let's be fair here. I'm fairly confident "Friend told me" isn't going to trump "Factory Warranty Coverage or Guidelines".

The guidelines used for what is, and what is not covered under the Factory Warranty have been outlined since at least 2004... and those are the same guidelines referenced today.

17. Member
    So I got boat back and ran this weekend with new lower unit that insurance covered. Absolutely no change or improvement in my issue. I cranked it up and knew it wasn’t right. You can hear the problem. It lost the growl and just sounds like an echo or something. Just weaker. Holeshot remains sluggish and still about 10mph off top end but full rpms consistent with full performance prior. Any ideas what to check? Engine report from shop shows no issues.

18. Member
    Don - I believe they wrote off the issues as lower unit once they checked it and assumed issue was resolved. I’ll call them to review but can I check the idle relief/ muffler tube myself?

19. Member
    If it’s still running the same rpms as before, but less speed and no bow lift, is the trim working ?

20. Member
    I thought the same about trim but doesn’t explain the reduced power holeshot. But inspecting the trim I can’t find any issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast