Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod rack for ALOT of rods...

I am looking to build rod racks for my wall. I have probably 50-60 rod and real combos. This includes both spinning and BC combos. I thought about two from the ceiling of the garage going opposite directions for each. Any other ideas?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    I have a (roughly 5') rack above my boat with metal conduit hanging from 8" chain from bottom of ceiling and have rods laying both directions. Only access from boat or ladder out of the way and didnt give up wall space PM me a cell number I can text you a picture.

3. Member
    I have peg board mounted on the wall in the garage. I bought the bass pro rod socks for my combos. The BPS socks have a nylon loop at the top and elastic to go around the reel, so I can hang the rods from the top of the peg board

4. Member
    I made a rod holder out of old rod shipping tubes (I have way to many, even now). I used 1x4 pine and used a hole saw to cut a 2" hole. I tried to tilt the drill slightly so that when I put the PVC in it was at a slight angle up. The PVC is about 8" in length and holds the rod handle well. I mounted these above the garage door track (I have about 3 feet of space above the garage door in the up position). I drilled the holes at about 8-10 inches on center (I used a rod with a reel on it to get the spacing). I then attached the pine boards to the wall using screws. I have about 12 or 15 rods stored above the garage door now that I use on a limited basis.

I think I saw this on here some time ago. It has worked well and keeps the rods up out of the way.

5. Member

I fit 28 rods on this rack 14 in each direction 2 to a dowel and it's only 30 inches vertical length with 2 inch dowels. The 30 inches is all the room I had. The 2 inch dowels would fit reels attached in both directions if I thought ahead and made them 4 inches and spaced them a little more. I predrilled the dowel holes at a slight angle. Total materials one five foot 1 x 3 and two 3/8 dowels.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 03-29-2021 at 10:30 AM.

I'm in the process of designing and building a rack. I only have about 1/2 the combos you do, but still need the space. I don't have the available wall space, so I'm making it as a rack with casters I can roll around. I'm using 1"x 6" Pine, plywood and 2" PVC tubing. When I get it done, I'll post some pics.

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have mine mounted from the ceiling. Access from the boat or a ladder. Gave up no wall space. Sold off about twenty last year.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

8. Member
    I made a rod holder that holds around 3-40 rods. I put it on wheels and used Berkley rod holders. If you can line your garage wall, I would just use some cheap 1x4 s and use those berrkley rod holders I mentioned.

9. Member
    I repair and build custom rods and here is the tip I have for you. If you want to store them horizontally you should make sure that they are supported at three points. I see so many rods that are warped from improper storage.
    The worst is leaning them up in a corner followed by two point horizontal storage. If they are stored improperly and some place that gets hot like a shed or garage that is a killer. Don't store rods horizontally with a reel attached either. They warp even faster. The best is vertically with minimal leaning without reels. I know it is hard to imagine that these composite materials can warp but they do. I see it all of the time.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    I repair and build custom rods and here is the tip I have for you. If you want to store them horizontally you should make sure that they are supported at three points. I see so many rods that are warped from improper storage.
    The worst is leaning them up in a corner followed by two point horizontal storage. If they are stored improperly and some place that gets hot like a shed or garage that is a killer. Don't store rods horizontally with a reel attached either. They warp even faster. The best is vertically with minimal leaning without reels. I know it is hard to imagine that these composite materials can warp but they do. I see it all of the time.
    Crap! I store mine in the basement. Reels attached to most. Butt on floor. Tip leaning against a wall. Some in a corner. Never thought about the possibility that I could be hurting the rods. Guess I should spend some removing the reels at the very least.

So what I need is a way to store the rods vertically, but with something to keep them from sliding sideways and falling over?

11. Member
    I put an 8' section of 2x4 a foot off the ground horizontally, then screwed 3" section of 1.5 inch pvc about 6' above 2x4. I cut an angle on one side of the pvc to allow acces to screw pipe to wall. Put rod tip through pipe and put butt on 2x4. Put as many pvc pipe sections for as many rods u have. Rods r stored completely vertical and rest on inside of pipe. Best I can explain it. Works awesome. I can send pics if u pm me your cell.

12. Member
    I use 6inches 1 1/4 pvc pipe with a hole drilled in it to get a screw to back of it into a 2 by 4 and screw the 2 by 4 to wall. If you don't have wall space you can make it free standing. My current ones are 8 years old and still work fine. I keep all my fishing equipment in a spare bedroom so it is temp controlled. Not to hot and not to cold.

13. Member
    I get 27 rigs, mixed BC & spin w/ reels on, in 80" of ceiling, going one way only. Could probably get double in 50% more space, going both ways.

14. Member
    I have 2 on my garage ceiling and I just built a stand up rack that’s 6 feet long to go next to the wall. All together I can store about 40 rods and reels. The stand up one I bought the eagle claw rod mounts and use them to keep the rods standing up without falling over.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

15. Member
    I stand the rods I'm not currently carrying in my boat in a cardboard box in a corner of my garage... Pretty efficient use of space.

oe

16. Member
    Here's what I have done. Basically using pvc pipe cut off at 1 1/2" half the number cut a 90 degree slot out. Two keys. 1. drill the screw holes prior to cutting the 90 slot. 2. be careful when using cut off saw.
    IMG-0908.jpgIMG-0909.jpg
    I have several racks in the basement and two above the boat in the garage.

I did this and it will hold a pile of em. It has space on top and bottom. I've never counted but I believe it'll hold about 30. I see I put that 4 years ago and still using it today.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer2 View Post
    I put an 8' section of 2x4 a foot off the ground horizontally, then screwed 3" section of 1.5 inch pvc about 6' above 2x4. I cut an angle on one side of the pvc to allow acces to screw pipe to wall. Put rod tip through pipe and put butt on 2x4. Put as many pvc pipe sections for as many rods u have. Rods r stored completely vertical and rest on inside of pipe. Best I can explain it. Works awesome. I can send pics if u pm me your cell.
    You explained it very well. I like this idea a lot. I probably have around 90 rods total. Maybe I can store 3 rods per PVC?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    You explained it very well. I like this idea a lot. I probably have around 90 rods total. Maybe I can store 3 rods per PVC?
    Maybe if u use bigger PVC, however the problem is at the bottom. If you leave the reels on the rods its hard to even have 2 through the same pvc. I have one rod with a reel and one rod with out through the same PVC and that works well. Also, I have rod socks on almost all of my rods and that helps a lot. If you don't have reels on, you can probably do 3 rods.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer2 View Post
    Maybe if u use bigger PVC, however the problem is at the bottom. If you leave the reels on the rods its hard to even have 2 through the same pvc. I have one rod with a reel and one rod with out through the same PVC and that works well. Also, I have rod socks on almost all of my rods and that helps a lot. If you don't have reels on, you can probably do 3 rods.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast