Thread: Help with setup

Help with setup

Hello all I am new to this forum and new to gambler boats in need of some advice. I have bought a 1993 gambler intimidator with a 2003 250 mercury racing outboard. It had a bravo 31p prop when I bought it and I could not get rpms out of it I went to prop shop they said it was over propped and hooked me up with a 25p tempest. Now with 2 guys 3 batteries half tank fuel empty live wells and set up with all the fishing gear the best I can get is 5650 rpm and 58 mph. The tag on the motor says 5800 rpm i assume that is where it preforms the best. Not saying that I couldn’t live with this but after reading gambler boat forums before I bought the boat I was expecting a lot faster boat. I just don’t want to leave anything on the table if I can get more out of it. The prop shop said I could go down to a 24p prop and could probably get sixty out of it by getting the rpms up. But the rpms to mph ratio seems way off to what everyone else in gamblers are getting. If anyone would have any ideas or advice or if this is all I should expect out of the boat anything appreciated thanks.

2. Member
    Sounds like you’re down a cylinder.
    Bith my Intimidators 20’1” with a Mercury 225 EFI would turn a TRO4 27 to 6100.
    You should be able to turn a 28 to the limiter on that combo.

3. Member
    That’s what I was thinking to start with when it had the old prop on it so I did a compression test all the cylinders tested between 120 and 123. Then I started it on muffs and pulled the plug to each injector one at a time each one I could tell when I unplugged them. So I called a marina down here to ask them if there was anything else I needed to do to check for it being down a cylinder. They told me I would be able to tell opening it up on the water they said I would be able to hear the miss but it sounds good and strong on the water. I am open to trying anything though if you give me any ideas I do appreciate the input.

4. Member
    Might be air and fuel pressure related. You need to get it to a certified Mercury dealer. Multitudes of things it could be.

5. Member
    I couldn't tell when my opti lost a cylinder by sound. Just the loss of power

6. Member
    Thanks for the input guys I guess as much as I hate to I will have to take it to the marina to get the motor checked out it just takes so long to get anything done around here they are all so busy hate to lose the fishing time. Again I appreciate the advice thanks

7. Member
    If your numbers are correct, you are getting a lot of slip( > 20% ). Check your numbers again, RPM, speed by GPS, prop size, and prop to pad. What is your current prop to pad measurement?

8. Member
    I ran it for 1 1/2 hours playing with trim doing everything I could to try to make it better. The mph are from gps and the rpms are from digital mercury smart gauge. Prop to pad is between 3 and 3 1/2. It is on a 10” manual jack plate and prop says 25p tempest on it. Like I said I’m new to the gambler world and also new to trim gauge when I would get the trim gauge up to or above 2.5 I would start to loose water pressure not sure where it should run. If you can give me any more advise from this info would be nice. What would cause this slip you are talking about I have heard that term before just not sure what causes it. Thanks

9. Member
    How far are you trimmed up? Sounds like you're not up on the running pad yet. Most people would have to learn to how to counter the chime at speeds above 60 or so. If that's not the case. I would say that you probably have a motor issue. That setup should run in the mid 80's easy!

10. Member
    What is your water pressure at WOT? Carefully measure your ptp, then run boat at WOT. Note speed, water pressure, and RPM. Raise motor 1/4 inch, then run boat as before. Keep raising motor until you lose water pressure or you see no increase in speed. Prop slip is determined by comparing your actual speed to your theoretical speed.
    Theoretical speed = RPM x prop size ( Inches)/ gear ratio x 1056.

11. Member
    So when I’m at WOT trimmed mostly down it will have around 15 psi or a little more I will keep trimming it a little at a time and watch the rpm and speed until water pressure gets down around 8 or 9 psi I have been afraid to get below that my trim gauge says like 2.5. The 5650 rpm and 58 mph I was at I trimmed it up and got a beep on my gauge that said I over trimmed I backed off the trim a bit and got that reading that was the best I’ve been able to get. I am going to try to get it back out Sunday and try to see if I can get some different numbers I will re measure me ptp. I appreciate all the advice is there anything else I should work on besides the ptp when I go out is there any other numbers I should be looking at? Thanks

12. Member
    Raising the jackplate and Trimming the boat are not the same. I don't think the boat is trimmed properly. You won't get a beep by trimming the boat. Didn't hear anything about chime walk yet. That tells me the boat may not be on the running pad yet. JMHO

13. Member
    Just a little update had our crappie camp last weekend took boat out to do some fishing thought I would keep track of some numbers see if anything changed. It ran good for 3 days didn’t go very far but seemed fine but nothing different on the performance. On the forth day we ran about a mile or so at around 50mph and it just quite it fired right back up without any problem but didn’t have enough power to get on plain so I shut it off and trolled back. I have it at marina now but it will probably be another week or so before they can look at it I will let y’all know what I find out I appreciate everyone’s help. I am pretty stressed right now wondering how much this is going to cost to fix if anyone has any ideas of something cheap it might be to take my mind off of the expensive stuff that would be cool.

14. Member
    most likely just a coil finally failed completely.