ONIX 10 SI issues

ONIX guru's, I have triple ONIX 10's that have worked flawlessly for some time. Recently both, about a month apart, stopped scrolling D2, or DI/SI.

What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it? If it is the transducers, what are the recommended models for both the trolling motor and the main.

Thanks in advance.
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons
    3 X Humminbird Onix 10 SI/DI

www.HotSeatCustombaits.com

There is one transducer that is used on the transom and on the trolling motor. The difference is the included mount and cable length----20' for the XT and 15' for the XTM.

XT 14 20 HDSI T
    XTM 14 20 HDSI T

BUT both of those are not on the Humminbird website anymore.
    Now it shows:
    XM 14 20 MSI T
    XTM 14 20 MSI T
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thanks for the response Wayne, greatly appreciated. You think the MSI models will work? They appear to be much less expensive.
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons

Quote Originally Posted by drwaggs View Post
    Thanks for the response Wayne, greatly appreciated. You think the MSI models will work? They appear to be much less expensive.
    The link to the source is why the price is a lot higher. Some site electronics dealers may have one or check Ebay.

The MSI will but will not add MEGA Imaging, I don't think. I don't have an ONIX anymore to check.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    This is a link to a transducer compatibility chart. I think your info is on the second page. Link: Humminbird Transducer Compatibility Guide
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Wayne, Bob - thanks much guys! Greatly appreciated.

I did reinstall software yesterday. I was running 3.00 and the website said it was up to 3.35 with a required upload of 3.04 before 3.35. Did that and things 'appear' to look pretty good, at least from a software perspective. Will be taking it out on the water Saturday to see how she looks. Crossing my fingers that that is the simple fix. SD card: $19.95. XT 14 AND XTM 14 = $656.77 (Amazon). BIG difference there!

Fingers crossed!
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons

8. Member
    So ran it with new software this weekend.

DI & SI worked for about 20min then stopped. Never had 2D and no depth. I'm of the opinion this is leaning towards a non-transducer problem. Software more likely. Would enjoy hearing others thoughts on this.

Software update did make things faster and the map & map options were nice, but 3 Onix 10's with no SI, DI, 2D and depth are pretty useless - so still searching for resolution.

Thanks
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Have you tried hooking the transducer to one of the other ONIX units? It still sounds like it could be a transducer issue to me. Have you checked the pins on the transducer cable?
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

10. Member
    Thanks for jumping in Sly, no I have not swapped transducers. I'm leaning away from transducers simply because I have the same problem with both the front, trolling motor transducer, as well as the rear transom transducer that feeds the console. I have checked the pins and they look good. No bends, dirt, or rust. I think a viable option is to actually get a new transducer (or barrow one), plug it in and give it a try.

I did see on here somewhere that someone had a similar issue and they moved all of their waypoints to an SD card, cleared/deleted their waypoints, and restarted. Their problem went away when they did that. That is my next step.

Thanks for the assistance thus far. All other comments welcome.
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Thanks for jumping in Sly, no I have not swapped transducers. I'm leaning away from transducers simply because I have the same problem with both the front, trolling motor transducer, as well as the rear transom transducer that feeds the console. I have checked the pins and they look good. No bends, dirt, or rust. I think a viable option is to actually get a new transducer (or barrow one), plug it in and give it a try.

I did see on here somewhere that someone had a similar issue and they moved all of their waypoints to an SD card, cleared/deleted their waypoints, and restarted. Their problem went away when they did that. That is my next step.

Thanks for the assistance thus far. All other comments welcome.
    Yes, waypoint corruption can cause all kinds of strange problems. Good plan.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

12. Member
    Update to my issues. Could never get a good scroll on 2D, SI or DI. Bit the bullet and got a new transom transducer last week, took it out yesterday and wouldn't you know it, same problem - all three displays. Guess its time for me to suck it up and sit on hold with Humminbird to try and resolve this. Frustrated...
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    My ONIX 10 suddenly stopped scrolling 2D, DI and SI last year. I unwrapped the spare ONIX xducer I have and same result. I took the ONIX off the glass boat and put it on the tin boat as a 360 and mapping specific unit. It still does those two things very well.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Use the callback feature at the bottom of the main page of the Humminbird FishSmart App. Just click the link and they will call you without any waiting on hold.

15. Member
    I know its been almost a year from the OP, but wanted to give an update and see if anyone else has any ideas.

I got a new transom transducer, offloaded waypoints, updated software, did a factory reset, etc. Sat on the phone with Humminbird who advised me to clear saved tracks and some other memory saving steps and STILL have the same problem.

I have great SI/DI - but zero 2D and no subsequent depth reading.

The only thing I have not done, is disconnect console and trolling motor cables from the ethernet hub, i.e., try and look at them isolated. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get 2D back? It sure feels like a software/setting issue, but man I cannot find it if it is.

Thanks

D
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons

I know its been almost a year from the OP, but wanted to give an update and see if anyone else has any ideas.

I got a new transom transducer, offloaded waypoints, updated software, did a factory reset, etc. Sat on the phone with Humminbird who advised me to clear saved tracks and some other memory saving steps and STILL have the same problem.

I have great SI/DI - but zero 2D and no subsequent depth reading.

The only thing I have not done, is disconnect console and trolling motor cables from the ethernet hub, i.e., try and look at them isolated. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get 2D back? It sure feels like a software/setting issue, but man I cannot find it if it is.

Thanks

D
    With no other cables connected, just the transducer, do a Restore Factory Defaults. The unit will recognize what the transducer is and set the unit to use it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Ok, thanks! I'll give it a shot!
    2015 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12' Minn Kota Talons