Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    So my xi5 had the GPS replaced in the spring of 2018 I'm not sure if I have the old GPS or the newer version. It will follow a route mostly ok and I always cancel NAV before I reach the end of the route.My biggest gripe is the cruise control will ramp up to full power on its own...wondering if the dongle addresses that problem...And for what it's worth Motorguide sent out dongles about a year after the Xi5 were released it was for the cruise control problem same thing plug it in to the gateway and Mail the dongle back.
    Last edited by JTN; 04-14-2021 at 05:58 PM.

2. Member
    Ok so I received the Motorguide email as well after taking the survey I received the following; "Dongle Update Needed Since your Model Number starts with L2.0, you will need a dongle update from a service center. (Dongle Kit: 8M4006087. Hardware: 8M4005956.) Please contact Customer Service to find a dealer near you that has a dongle available for updates. "

Does everyone receive the same Dongle Kit and I sent Motorguide an email what should I expect next ?

Thanks.

3. Member
    I e-mailed them asking if they would send me a dongle, they replied that i would have to take the motor to service center, Its 700km round trip and in a covid hot spot. Hopping when more come available i can get my hands on 1 some how. As a day off work, 7 hrs of driving and risk getting sick for a 10 second update seams silly. I also just got the motor 2 months ago and i has yet to touch water.

4. Member
    Let the healing begin...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjeremiah View Post
    Let the healing begin...

How does one acquire such power?

6. Member
    Can't wait to hear your experience Mr. Jeremiah.

I think the acquisition question is important...our best option to get one is to squeak loudly. The 700km trip is just too much and I hope that with some additional contact they will send you one. Try the MG corporate facebook page and just make a post about it. This is what Mr. Jeremiah said he finally did to get one shipped. Now, he has 2 years of dealing with this issue and they may have recognized that and expediated his update. But, perhaps they just respond better through FB...worth a try, I think.

I contacted through the FB page and got a response with the survey...at least I know they are actively checking and responding.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyRulz View Post
    Can't wait to hear your experience Mr. Jeremiah.

I think the acquisition question is important...our best option to get one is to squeak loudly. The 700km trip is just too much and I hope that with some additional contact they will send you one. Try the MG corporate facebook page and just make a post about it. This is what Mr. Jeremiah said he finally did to get one shipped. Now, he has 2 years of dealing with this issue and they may have recognized that and expediated his update. But, perhaps they just respond better through FB...worth a try, I think.

I contacted through the FB page and got a response with the survey...at least I know they are actively checking and responding.
    There is a MG Trolling motors FB page that is separate from the corporate page. That's where I "squeaked" loudly and finally got recognized. There are a couple of "angels" lurking there (angels meaning MG software engineers).

8. Member
    I also took the survey and my brand new xi5 also needs the update.i’m lucky enough to have a service center in my city but they were unaware of the dongle and of course there are none available at this time. O well I’m not even sure what issues i might have as I’m still waiting for my boat to arrive.patience i guess! If i had more patients i’d of been a doctor!

9. Member
    Just took the survey and was told to download a file onto a SD card..... which I have done.
    I do not get the "TROLLING MOTOR NOT DEPLOYED" or the "NO AUTOPILOT COMPUTER" messages on my screen.
    The only problem I occasionally get with my Xi5 is that it takes off at full speed in a different direction while following a preprogrammed route that is on my Lowrance.
    To say the least I've got a case of the willies to install this update. I'm thinking I'll discuss with Motorguide Customer Service before doing so.
    My serial number is 9D345698 Model # 940800230
    I've attached a couple of screen shots from the PDF install instructions.

If anyone would like a copy of the instructions PM me with your email address and I'll send them your way

3.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 04-21-2021 at 04:33 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Just took the survey and was told to download a file onto a SD card..... which I have done.
    I do not get the "TROLLING MOTOR NOT DEPLOYED" or the "NO AUTOPILOT COMPUTER" messages on my screen.
    The only problem I occasionally get with my Xi5 is that it takes off at full speed in a different direction while following a preprogrammed route that is on my Lowrance.
    To say the least I've got a case of the willies to install this update. I'm thinking I'll discuss with Motorguide Customer Service before doing so.
    My serial number is 9D345698 Model # 940800230
    I've attached a couple of screen shots from the PDF install instructions.

If anyone would like a copy of the instructions PM me with your email address and I'll send them your way

3.JPG
    Do you have model starting from L1... ?

Screenshot_2021-04-13_11.58.41.png
    Lowrance Live 16 + AI 2-1 + AT

11. Member
    Yes.
    Capture22.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Sand View Post
    Do you have model starting from L1... ?

Screenshot_2021-04-13_11.58.41.png

12. Member
    Just got a return call from a nice gal by the name of Jody from Motorguide (Mercury in Fond du Lac).
    She said that as long as the survey ended with instructions to download and install the software up-date I should be "good to go"

I told her that the only problem that I was experiencing was the occasional taking off in a different direction at full speed while following a route. She said that this is one of the problems that the patch should fix.

Crossing my fingers! Will report back. Wish me and the others patching their Xi5 and Lowrance luck!

13. Member
    Just went out to the garage and did the update (with fingers crossed).
    All went well according to the directions. No surprises.

The final instructions are to do a Compass and Keel Alignment which I can do on the water this afternoon.
    After the calibrations I'll do a final road test to see if I still get the route dropping and acceleration situation. It's an occasional situation so it may take a trip or 2 to see if the problem has been eliminated.

14. Member

The final instructions are to do a Compass and Keel Alignment which I can do on the water this afternoon.
    After the calibrations I'll do a final road test to see if I still get the route dropping and acceleration situation. It's an occasional situation so it may take a trip or 2 to see if the problem has been eliminated.
    Congratulations. Mine have L2 version so only dongle update :(
    Lowrance Live 16 + AI 2-1 + AT

Please let us know how this worked out. I have the same model as you.

16. Member
    Well, so far so good.
    I plotted a bunch of routes on my little local river and told the Xi5 to follow them.
    It did as it was originally designed to do.
    No dropping the route and heading out on its own at full speed.
    But remember my problem is sporadic. So I'll keep reporting as time goes on.

Oh...I decided to toss a DT-6 for a while too. Bumped into a pack of 16-17" smallies to top the afternoon off!
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    Thanks, WisconsinF...guys like you make this board the valuable resource that it is. Nice smallie!

18. Member
    One of the problems I had was the Lowrance screen indicating the trolling motor needed to be updated but the update freezing the screen. For those of you who have been able to do it, has the dongle update fixed that issue (either eliminating the fishfinder thinking the trolling motor needed to be updated or allowing the update to happen)?
    Thanks

19. Member
    Trip #2 with new software update this afternoon.
    So far so good.

I layed down some complicated routes and it followed flawlessly without taking off in a different direction at full speed.
    Next time out I'm going to narrow down the XTE limit and see if I can force it to get off course and take off.
    Also going to lay down a very long course and just let it cruise for awhile

Stay tuned for the exciting news!! Ha!

JasonJeremiah....waiting to hear back from you on how the dongle update has worked....this is your thread...please check in!

20. Member
    Trip #2 with new software update this afternoon.
    So far so good.

I layed down some complicated routes and it followed flawlessly without taking off in a different direction at full speed.
    Next time out I'm going to narrow down the XTE limit and see if I can force it to get off course and take off.
    Also going to lay down a very long course and just let it cruise for awhile

Stay tuned for the exciting news!! Ha!

JasonJeremiah....waiting to hear back from you on how the dongle update has worked....this is your thread...please check in!
    Sorry - between working on telescopes and guitars and trying to squeeze in fishing, I don't get much time to post online. Hell, I'm used to being ignored. Don't know how many times I posted on here over the past 2+ years and either got ignored or told the problem was of my own making or didn't have some setting right. I believe we may have messaged back and forth because you thought the problem may have been with the XTE limit setting as to why it wasn't following a route.

Yes - the trolling motor works great now and as it should have out of the box. A shame it took 2+ years of countless phone calls, frustration, and being told I was doing something wrong and to just sell my equipment and quit complaining by the Lowrance and MotorGuide fan boys. Funny, I don't see any comments from those same people that were so convinced I was wrong and didn't know what the hell I was doing. But, I'm not one to hold a grudge

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast