Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote:
    Unfortunately I have a Simrad up front at the trolling motor. It's the Simrad Go7, which I bought before the Lowrance and actually like better as it's total touchscreen. It doesn't work with the TM either and never has.

I would argue both companies have limited competency...

Simrad supports MotorGuide and this includes GO7.

May need to update your software

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/it-i...tware-Upgrade/

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjeremiah View Post
    Don't give up - yet! It does sound like this new update, which Motorguide is now rolling out to service centers, addresses all of these issues and more and after flashing the new firmware, the trolling motor will work exactly as it is supposed to (and should have from day one). If you're on Facebook, I would suggest joining the "Motorguide trolling motor owners" FB page. It was originally started by a fellow in Europe who was having the same Xi5 TM issues everyone else has been having. Just by word of mouth and social media, all of us who've had this issue have been able to find each other and band together in order to demand a fix and it sounds like it's finally worked. There is now over 5,000 members on that page. You'll see on the FB page several of those members were beta testers of the firmware update and have confirmed it does fix all of the issues. They also endured the frustration that you and I and many others dealt with over the past couple of years. There's no way to go back and undo all that frustration and time that could have been spent fishing rather than dicking around with electronics, but at least there's hope in moving forward that we can utilize this technology, that we spent the money on in the first place, to it's full potential.

thanks you have now given me some hope.

3. Member
    No luckily I'm not a programmer it's far to boring to do full-time. I'm an EE, but I'm able to code.

SWUP is not AC70 proprietary it's used for all Simrad NMEA 2000 (and SimNet) devices. I have a Simrad ST-10 USB to CAN adapter to load software using the SWUP program. A Kvaser USB to CAN can also be used, I have one of these as well. And I have Actisense NGW-1. Both the Kvaser and NGW-1 are compatible with CanKing software and allows the NMEA 2000 traffic to be monitored.

4. Member
    Unfortunately I have a Simrad up front at the trolling motor. It's the Simrad Go7, which I bought before the Lowrance and actually like better as it's total touchscreen. It doesn't work with the TM either and never has.

I would argue both companies have limited competency...
    Simrad pioneered NMEA 2000 (SimNet) and Lowrance brought the Suzuki engine interface and digital gauges used by Suzuki and Evinrude to the market 15 years ago so it's not the lack of NMEA 2000 competency which is the Navico bottleneck, it's that the number of embedded software engineers are too few for all the tasks.

I have seen post from reliable sources that say the dongle is real and it has resolved the issue.
    Dont give up

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I have seen post from reliable sources that say the dongle is real and it has resolved the issue.
    Dont give up
    I have too. It's nice to know there is a fix out there, but still frustrating not knowing when the fix will happen. Some already have it. You can call into MG and depending on who you get on the phone, they'll still deny the problem even exists. Guess I have to be more patient, but after 2+ years of wanting a working combo patience is wearing thin...

7. Member
    JasonJeremiah: You are knowledgeable and certainly invested in this issue. I'm sure you check the MG FB page as well as BBC for info, perhaps other sources. With the uncertainty about where the dongle is in circulation, perhaps a call to the BBC membership is needed. A sort of APB post with a specific title including the dongle fix in the General Bass Boat topics section, Lowrance and/or Trolling Motors sections would help us track the circulation and hopefully get it into the Xi3/5 owners hands. If we know which dealers have it we can start a system of requests. Perhaps members in close proximity to one another could hold an "upgrade roundup".

A post like this can die a slow death to obscurity but if those interested commit to updating it we can keep it on the front page.

8. Member
    Does anybody have information for the MotorGuide Xi5 trolling motor:

1. The part number for the dongle?

2.How do we get one, call (number) or web site (www.) ?

3. How do we install this part?

9. Member
    I think KennyBryan is asking all the right questions...thanks for that!

It has been established that the dongle will attach to your Xi3/5 gateway NMEA port. How it goes on to initiate a firmware update is unknown to me...unless it's as simple as "plug-n-play" instructions will be needed. Firmware is tricky and updates can completely brick electronics if done incorrectly. I'd like to know THAT it works and HOW it works before taking that risk. Once installed and uploaded the dongle would need to be removed in order to reestablish the Xi3/5 gateway NMEA connection.

I had not considered the dongle a part that would be ordered. I assumed it would be "borrowed" and returned. Usually dongles can't be copied and are made in a limited number. But I'm more familiar with software licensing dongles used to restrict access to a specific user number.

So many questions...the best being where the heck do we get one? Anyone?

10. Member
    Sorry, but I only check in periodically. It would be a good idea to establish a list of dealers that have the dongle. It's my understanding you must first contact Motorguide and open a case using your serial number and they will ask for software version also. Then I would let them know who your closest service center is. Then, call the service center and have them put a call in to Motorguide to be put on the list for dealers to receive the update. From what I understand, they are trying to get it out as soon as possible, but it depends on who you talk to at Motorguide. I've been spending more time with my telescopes/astrophotography and have sort of put this on the backburner for now. I've spent 2+ years trying to get this to work. 1 or 2 more months isn't going to kill me.

11. Member
    Just got off the phone with MotorGuide. 920 929 5040.

They said they are "working on the update". It "may be ready" in a week or so".

And he stated that ONLY authorized MotorGuide Service centers will provide this service. In Georgia only Bass Pro Macon is authorized.

So we customers will not be able to get this product.

I will be at ICAST in July. If this is still an issue by then, I will head right to their booth and discuss this issue we are all dealing with.

12. Member
    Damn! Have to take it to a service center...that's BS. Probably just Bass Pro and big boat dealerships (that aren't MinnKota exclusive). Hope you can get somewhere with the MG reps at iCAST.

13. Member
    I’d drive to Macon if I knew I could get a fix. Guess I’ll follow this and share what I find out.
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.

14. Member
    Instructions titled Xi Pinpoint Dongle Instructions.pdf (8M4006077/A) are being made available to service centers as a shop service tool. This service bulletin and resolution supersedes the instructions noted in service bulletin 2018‑01 where an upgrade dongle was required. This update addresses the following:

A recent software revision for the new Xi5 and Xi3 GPS module doesn’t properly communicate with Lowrance MFD units when connected via the gateway. Customers using a pinpoint trolling motor, Pinpoint Gateway and Lowrance display may receive a trolling motor needs update/update required error on the Lowrance display when the motor is powered on, have issues with the Xi trolling motor spinning 360 degrees when entering anchor mode, experience improper Route Follow/Arrival functionality, or experience a complete loss of connection to the Lowrance MFD.

Update is done by connecting dongle to gateway cable and going through specified sequence. After update is completed, a compass calibration (2 times) and a keel alignment calibration will be required to complete process.

15. Member
    Here you go https://www.motorguide.com/us/en/ser...Bo28jDxhRyLuJs

Video at bottom of page shows installation of update via dongle. Appears to be instructional video made for dealers.

16. Member
    Yes it does. Very straightforward update process. Thanks to those who would not let this go...MG appears all-in to get this fixed. Going to put a bug in my service dealer's ear about this.

17. Member
    I sent them and email last week complaining and they replied they were aware of the frustrations for many ppl and working on a fix, and that I would have to take it to the service center ugh! Today I got a new email.

Xi Series Updates Now Available
    For those networked via a Gateway Kit (8M0092085), there could be updates available that address connectivity/performance issue you might experience during use of your Pinpoint GPS enabled Xi Series motor. We've created an update questionnaire (linked below) to help guide you to the applicable update for your Xi Series motor. It is very important that you follow the directions provided at end of the questionnaire before making any updates to your Xi Series motor.

Please make sure your Lowrance/Simrad MFD is running the latest software, you have your Xi Series model and serial numbers, and are able to access your networked trolling motor before starting this process.
    NOTE: This only applies to Xi Series motors equipped with a Pinpoint Gateway System.
    Items needed to complete the questionnaire:

• Model Number
    • Serial Number
    • Access to your NMEA Networked Lowrance/Simrad graph
    • Access to your Pinpoint enabled Xi Series motor
    • Sufficiently charged batteries

If you are not connected to a Lowrance/Simrad MFD and are having performance issues with your Xi Series trolling motor, please contact customer service or your nearest service center.
    Please contact us if you have any additional questions or run into any issues.

18. Member
    The newest update from MG regarding the update dongle. Spoke to Larry this morning and sounds like 18 dongles total were sent out to dealers across the US. Unless you're lucky enough to live within reasonable driving distance to one of these service centers, it's going to be another 4-6 week wait. He said there's a hardware shortage of the components needed to make the dongles and will be another 4-6 weeks before the next batch goes out to dealers/service centers.

19. Member
    The newest update from MG regarding the update dongle. Spoke to Larry this morning and sounds like 18 dongles total were sent out to dealers across the US. Unless you're lucky enough to live within reasonable driving distance to one of these service centers, it's going to be another 4-6 week wait. He said there's a hardware shortage of the components needed to make the dongles and will be another 4-6 weeks before the next batch goes out to dealers/service centers.
    UPDATE: A Motorguide tech reached out to me on the FB Motorguide page and is sending me an update dongle via UPS tomorrow. Said 23 have been shipped out and 200 more are labeled and on the way out. He asked that I ship the dongle back immediately when I'm done. I'm hoping this is the end of 2.5 years of problems.

20. Member
    Fantastic! I know you will keep us updated on your results...if you can pull yourself away from the telescope!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast