Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Need To Clean AllThe Goop From The Bilge Area?

I've got to check and possibly replace the livewell valve activation cables and as of now I can't see them to well. My question is what is the best cleaner can I use to to clean all this mess? I had thought Greased Lightning might be good but wondering if that stuff might harm components in the bilge? Thanks for any suggestions. Oh Yeah I would appreciate any idea as to the best way to apply and a procedure to clean this Goop?

Last edited by Speedboat; 03-28-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Put a good amount, 1/4 cup say of Dawn Liquid Dish Soap into the bilge, disconnect the auto bilge pump, close the drain, dump about 5 gallons of water in ON TOP OF THE DAWN so it foams up. Now drive for about 15-20 min, stopping and starting to "Shake" up the mixture. Then open the drain and flush the soapy water out. Depending on how bad the bilge was, you may have to repeat. I've do this a few times a year, usually when I'm going to a lake an hour or so away. Put it in before I leave, drain it out before launching. I have a Remote Drain Plug, so just before heading back to the launch, I'll open the drain and let some water in, then drain it all out on the way home.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Put a good amount, 1/4 cup say of Dawn Liquid Dish Soap into the bilge, disconnect the auto bilge pump, close the drain, dump about 5 gallons of water in ON TOP OF THE DAWN so it foams up. Now drive for about 15-20 min, stopping and starting to "Shake" up the mixture. Then open the drain and flush the soapy water out. Depending on how bad the bilge was, you may have to repeat. I've do this a few times a year, usually when I'm going to a lake an hour or so away. Put it in before I leave, drain it out before launching. I have a Remote Drain Plug, so just before heading back to the launch, I'll open the drain and let some water in, then drain it all out on the way home.
    Good deal Man. Once I get this bilge cleaned up I will do your procedure as a maintenance procedure.

4. Member
    I once read of a guy who simply put the remainders of bars of soap into the bilge. Rather than throw those small pieces away, they become his Always-ON, Bilge-Boy.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    I once read of a guy who simply put the remainders of bars of soap into the bilge. Rather than throw those small pieces away, they become his Always-ON, Bilge-Boy.
    richg99 that is what I heard years ago and I put a bar of LAVA soap in my bilge , in my opinion it didn't work! When I removed batteries and battery tray I found almost a inch of goop in the bilge so... I used over 2 1/2 gallons of Simple Green and boiling water and a pressure washer to get most of this stuff removed. I have a gallon of Dawn ready for when I get everything back together and ready to travel I'll pour about a quart of dawn drive to the ramp drain off the stuff in the bilge and have at it, I hope!!

6. Member
    i have used engine degreaser spray. i spray everything under the panel with it, let it soak about a half hour then open up the drain and just take the hose to everything and rinse it out good. everything in the hull comes out shinning. the degreaser is made to spray on engines so it will not hurt hoses or wiring

7. mikesxpress
    Purple Super Clean from Y'all Mart. I've not found anything this stuff will not clean. I keep at least two 2.5 gallon jugs on hand and a couple spray bottles full. Tires/wheels, engine bay, garage floor epoxy, bilge, tractor.

Pour a quart in the bilge and haul it around a couple miles then rinse.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Cle...1-gal/23752162

8. Member
    Super clean 9.00 at walmart. 16.00 at Amazon. same one gallon size too, it appears!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    i have used engine degreaser spray. i spray everything under the panel with it, let it soak about a half hour then open up the drain and just take the hose to everything and rinse it out good. everything in the hull comes out shinning. the degreaser is made to spray on engines so it will not hurt hoses or wiring
    harrys, I had thought about using that stuff but wasn't sure it wouldn't harm boat hull, wiring ,and or hoses and clamps. Glad to see you used that stuff and I will get a can or two and do the final cleaning before installing the activation control cable when it come in after Easter.

10. Member
    Try using Simple Green. Works really well and is safe for the environment. You will not be disappointed..
    2003 Nitro 901 CDX w/2021 Mercury ProXS 4 Stroke, 6" Slide Master Jackplate, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades, 22P Fury prop, Minnkota Ultrex 112

11. Member
    Simple green did not work for me fwiw

I think it really just depends on how bad it is. The bar of soap and dawn didn't work for me first time, but I don't think the bilge in my 06 had ever been cleaned once in its life. I had to simple green and toilet brush for half a day. Now that I've done that the quick soap/wash brings it right back to clean without any elbow grease.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

alot of great ideas

14. Member
    I used Simple Green that wasn't diluted much and then used a steamer on it. It cleaned it up easily with no scrubbing.

15. Member
    dawn and simple green add water and go for a drive

16. Member
    Do the Dawn trick twice a year and it works great.

17. Member
    This is a little above and beyond but, I used Dawn plus Awesome! from the Dollar Store for the tough stains.

Last edited by bqtoot; 05-27-2021 at 08:52 AM.

18. Member
    Awesome is some good stuff, 20 oz bottle for a dollar goes a long ways.

Just thinking...has anyone every tried grinding up a couple of dishwasher tabs in hot water and pouring it in and letting it stand for a few hours? I know they work great when you put one in your coffee stained Yetti coffee tumbler.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

20. Member
    A pressure washer takes all that crap right of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast