Thread: 175 pro xs 4s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

175 pro xs 4s

2021 Phoenix 818
    175 Pro XS S/N 2B777531
    23 tempest 3 big hole plugs
    WOT 5600-5700 rpm 62 mph (22 PSI)
    PTP 1 3/8”

Hole-shot is sluggish to me. And the jackplate is adjusted all the way up.
    Last edited by andy52887; 03-28-2021 at 08:30 PM.

2. Member
    Move your thread down to the four stroke forum and you will get some good advice. I have the 175 Pro XS 4 stroke with a 23 Temptest but am not a guru or professional so can't advise you. I haven't had mine in the water enough to know how it does.

3. Member
    +1. When you do, be sure to include your engine serial number (required) and any other pertinent information you see in the Announcement at the top of the 4 stroke forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I will move your thread to the 4-stroke forum for you.

Please provide your Engine Serial Number, and let us know:

-What boat you're running

-What your WOT RPM's and Water Pressure are.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Updated.... thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy52887 View Post
    PTP 1 3/8”
    This seems WAY high to me, but then again, I know nothing about that boat.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would concur- though the other data doesn't necessarily "seem" out of line for a much lower setting.

Do you have a HAND throttle or a Hotfoot?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Yeah, slip seems fine.

9. Member
    I have a hot foot. So i talked to Phoenix today and they recommended 3-3.25” ptp. He did tell me they had another 818 need a 21 tempest. I agree 1 3/8” is to high. I dropped it slightly last night and seemed to improve slightly but still probably need a 21.

10. Member
    If you have solid plugs in the holes take them all out not sure what plugs you have exactly. It does sound like a lot of prop for a 175. I have a 23 Tempest with a 200 and 5900 is about all it will turn.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    If you have solid plugs in the holes take them all out not sure what plugs you have exactly. It does sound like a lot of prop for a 175. I have a 23 Tempest with a 200 and 5900 is about all it will turn.
    I believe the gear ratio is different the 175 I think is 1.85 where as yours is 1.75
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

12. Member
    I have tried 1 big hole plug 2 open. Then all plugs removed the boat would blow out. Now I’m running 3 big hole plugs and seems slightly better.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have tried 1 big hole plug 2 open. Then all plugs removed the boat would blow out. Now I’m running 3 big hole plugs and seems slightly better.
    ANY combination is fine as long as it results in a good holeshot on YOUR rig. Note that MANY of the 4-strokes, when properly set up do not really require any PVS openings (solid plugs often work).

I would strongly suggest two things:

1. Return engine to correct PTP height: 3.25" is a good starting point if running a Fury.

2. Have a dealer check your hotfoot setup to confirm it is consistently reaching the IDLE position, and that you can reach 100% Demand Linear CONSISTENTLY. This is perhaps the MOST important item- do NOT spend money on props until this is done.

14. Member
    I lowered the motor to the recommended 3” ptp and will try it this weekend.

15. Member
    At 3” PTP holeshot was slightly better but only turning 5400 Rpm WOT. Looks like a 21 tempest will be the fix.

16. Member
    Please take the advice that Don gave you in red letter above.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would strongly suggest two things:

1. Return engine to correct PTP height: 3.25" is a good starting point if running a Fury.

2. Have a dealer check your hotfoot setup to confirm it is consistently reaching the IDLE position, and that you can reach 100% Demand Linear CONSISTENTLY. This is perhaps the MOST important item- do NOT spend money on props until this is done.
    Until both have been done correctly, you are likely just throwing your money away. Can't stress this enough: Greater than 50% of the boats I see (first time in) ARE NOT SET UP CORRECTLY!

18. Member
    I haven’t been able to get to the mechanic yet but did run a 21 tempest plus today. 3” PTP WOT was bumping 6,000 rpm and only running 60 mph. The holeshot was better but going to try and play with the jackplate a little to see if I can improve top end.

19. Member
    I think the red letters indicate very important information.

Most likely your your results will improve after hot foot setup is confirmed with the appropriate Mercury computer software.

Let us know how it works out.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

20. Member
    I haven’t been able to get to the mechanic yet but did run a 21 tempest plus today. 3” PTP WOT was bumping 6,000 rpm and only running 60 mph. The holeshot was better but going to try and play with the jackplate a little to see if I can improve top end.
    That's 7% slip. You're not going to improve top end with that prop. The 23P should be your prop. Or, maybe even a 24 depending on your load.

• Calculated Pitch: 24.12
    • Calculated Weight with engine(s): 2,508.10 lbs
    • Calculated Engine RPM: 5,850
    • Calculated Boat Speed: 65.22 mph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast