Thread: Insulin Shots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Insulin Shots

Anyone care to share their thoughts and experiences with taking them on a daily basis? Yes, it's higher then normal.

2. Member
    Type 1 here. Take 3-4 shots of Novolog and 1 shot of Lantus daily. No big deal for me, just part of normal life at this point.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTNFisherman View Post
    Type 1 here. Take 3-4 shots of Novolog and 1 shot of Lantus daily. No big deal for me, just part of normal life at this point.
    May I ask how long you have been doing it.

4. Member
    Type 1 also. I use Humalog at every meal and a few times a day for corrections. It’s not a big deal for me. I can give myself a shot driving down the road. I do not change the needle for every shot and normally I give my shots through my shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNFisherman View Post
    same here. 32 years
    Also wear a Dexcom sometimes but it causes skin irritation. Libre down right ate my skin.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    same here. 32 years
    Also wear a Dexcom sometimes but it causes skin irritation. Libre down right ate my skin.
    I am lucky, I have been using the Libre for a few years without issue. I have thought about the Dexcom. Does it have alarms?

7. Member
    My mother did that thing of reusing her needles it all but killed her she got an infection in her blood.So please change your needle everytime.

My girlfriend wears a pump.

9. Member
    my libre quit giving me rashes back around october of last year. I think they changed the adhesive.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

10. Member
    Been Type 1 for almost 13 years. I was an oddball that got it at age 38, which is pretty rare. Like others above, I use Humalog with every meal and for corrections, and Lantus at night. It's inconvenient, and that's about the best way I can think of to describe it. My dr has been trying for years to talk me into a pump, but I can't stand to have something attached to me all the time. I told him I'd wear one as soon as they come out with one that does everything. I don't want to have to wear one thing to check my BG and another for insulin. The technology certainly exists to make a single unit that does both.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipperfeet View Post
    May I ask how long you have been doing it.
    Going on 10 years now

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Been Type 1 for almost 13 years. I was an oddball that got it at age 38, which is pretty rare. Like others above, I use Humalog with every meal and for corrections, and Lantus at night. It's inconvenient, and that's about the best way I can think of to describe it. My dr has been trying for years to talk me into a pump, but I can't stand to have something attached to me all the time. I told him I'd wear one as soon as they come out with one that does everything. I don't want to have to wear one thing to check my BG and another for insulin. The technology certainly exists to make a single unit that does both.
    I was diagnosed at 45. I feel exactly like you about a pump, I will stick with my shots for now.

Quote Originally Posted by hobie246 View Post
    I am lucky, I have been using the Libre for a few years without issue. I have thought about the Dexcom. Does it have alarms?
    Yes you can set alarms for any number you want for HI LO and rate of change. You don't have to wave it over your arm as long as your meter or phone is within 40 feet or so it reads. If you use your phone to read it you can also share alarms with someone else so they know whats happening also

14. Member
    Two injections per day. Pen needle last 2 days. There's worse stuff to deal with.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

I cant wear a pump cause I would pull the hose out working on cars all day. The Omnipod is an option but Im also afraid of knocking that off since I have trouble keeping a Libre/Dexcom on full time

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    I cant wear a pump cause I would pull the hose out working on cars all day. The Omnipod is an option but Im also afraid of knocking that off since I have trouble keeping a Libre/Dexcom on full time

Thank you all. Very informative. Kinda getting the jist of it. Still, not looking forward to it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipperfeet View Post
    Thank you all. Very informative. Kinda getting the jist of it. Still, not looking forward to it.
    Think of it like this, it's really just basic math. You have to do math all the time. After a while it becomes second nature. It's a pain, but it's manageable. Don't let it stress you out and you'll be fine. If it's the shots you're worried about, those tiny needles are super sharp and before long, you won't even feel it anymore. Hang in there.

18. Member
    Type 1 since August 1974. I will be 51 in September. This August will be 47 years of taking insulin for me. Beef insulin, pork insulin then “human” insulin. I use Novolog at meals and for correction if my blood sugar is high. I take Toujeo each morning and evening. I have not had an a1c above 6.5 in the last 15-20 years. It’s a daily balance with taking the right amount of insulin combined with your amount of physical activity and the kind and amount of foods you eat that day. I’ve been doing it so long, it’s not something I have to think about very often.

19. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Wife has been type 1 for 40+ yeas. Some times things were difficult. Especially during her pregnancies.. She would have low blood sugars that were problems.
    For the most part we have dealt with it normally..now that she's older its become harder to make everything work correctly. She is like the others here.. two different types of insulin..one long acting and the others short acting.
    She wears a Dexcom and it has alarms.. for both low and high blood sugars.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    I currently use the Medtronics pump, but am considering a change to the Omnipod DASH System. You may want to check that one out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast