Caymus vs Lexus?

Having just bought a new to me Triton (4th one) I'm not sure if I'll be buying another boat or not, but these 2 brands (maybe along with Phoenix) have intrigued me and other then sticker shock, what is the biggest difference in them?
    Last edited by dbs1; 03-28-2021 at 04:05 PM.

2. Member
    83 looks and not 1 reply? Y'all not proud of your rigs or what?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    83 looks and not 1 reply? Y'all not proud of your rigs or what?
    Currently running a Triton 21TRX and taking a serious look at a Caymas CX21. Vexus is not for me.

I thought it was a boat vs a car!!

5. Member
    If Lexus is making a boat I’m going to go ahead and assume it’s out of my price range :)

I do like my Caymas though!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    I thought it was a boat vs a car!!
    Same here!!

I think the over all fit and finish is maybe 25% better than the Tritons, I have had time to go over mine pretty good, the flake, the clear coat, the hull lines and pinstripes all look better. The back battery compartment is 75% better, it’s clean, pumps have lids making it easy to get to your pumps plus giving you all kinds of room. To me that compartment has every boat beat bad. It’s real clean looking as far as wiring goes also. It handles great with the fuel tank up in the middle, three year old can drive it now!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

7. Member
    Sorry guys, stupid spell checker, should have read Vexus.

Anyway, I have to say the first Triton I owned, a 99 TR-21 which build quality was so-so. My next 2 were a 04 & 05 TR-196 which I thought quality was pretty decent. My latest, a 2010 TR-21hp...build quality is not impressive at all. I was entertaining the idea of retiring next year but may have to ride the horse longer and get a newer caymus. My brother has a 21’ Vexus and it does nothing for me.

8. Member

Anyway, I have to say the first Triton I owned, a 99 TR-21 which build quality was so-so. My next 2 were a 04 & 05 TR-196 which I thought quality was pretty decent. My latest, a 2010 TR-21hp...build quality is not impressive at all. I was entertaining the idea of retiring next year but may have to ride the horse longer and get a newer caymus. My brother has a 21’ Vexus and it does nothing for me.
    We started selling Tritons in the fall of 1996, had very good results with the ones we sold. In my opinion the 2004, 2006 were the best boats Triton ever built, less problems all the way around. I think Caymas is way ahead from what Earl was seeing back then, the fit and finish is very strong as i have already said. I think he has something special right now and all you have to do is talk with him for a while and you will find out he thinks the same thing. I have known him since the early eighties and he face just lights up when talking about these Caymas boats and i mean the big water boats also. I would advice you to go meet with Earl, (email me be happy to meet you up there sometime) and let him give you a tour and see the glow in his face as he does it.

9. Member
    When I bought the 99 Triton I flew back and did the plant tour. Earl wasn't there but it was a fun gig.

Rodney I think you're right, that battery compartment has me drooling!

10. Member
    Lexus does make a boat. They start at about $3,000,000.

11. Member

12. Member

I have a 99 TR-21, why do you think the build quality is so-so? Caymus is on my short list of the next boat I hope to get. Doubt I will buy new this time with how expensive they have become.

13. Member
    The 99 Triton control center to the right side was pretty crappy for the faux wood trim to stay attached to. New boat kinks.

14. Member
    The 99 Triton control center to the right side was pretty crappy for the faux wood trim to stay attached to. New boat kinks.
    Yeah I can agree with that on the control panel.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    We started selling Tritons in the fall of 1996, had very good results with the ones we sold. In my opinion the 2004, 2006 were the best boats Triton ever built, less problems all the way around. I think Caymas is way ahead from what Earl was seeing back then, the fit and finish is very strong as i have already said. I think he has something special right now and all you have to do is talk with him for a while and you will find out he thinks the same thing. I have known him since the early eighties and he face just lights up when talking about these Caymas boats and i mean the big water boats also. I would advice you to go meet with Earl, (email me be happy to meet you up there sometime) and let him give you a tour and see the glow in his face as he does it.
    I have to agree, I had a 2005 TR20X, second best boat I have ever had. First being my current 2016 BassCat Puma.

16. Member
    After having my cx20 for a couple weeks now I feel like Caymas has the best boat on the market right now.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    After having my cx20 for a couple weeks now I feel like Caymas has the best boat on the market right now.
    Been out in mine still getting break in on it and after my last trip i have to agree one of the absolutely best running, fishing, ridding total performance bass boats i ever had and i have had a lot of them the last 50 years!!