Stratos 200 pro xl 225 pro xs 4 stroke

Just repowered from 225 hpdi and 6 in manual plate to Mercury 225 pro xs 4 stroke and 10 in hydraulic plate ran 72-74 loaded with water in wells with Yamaha 69-70 with the Mercury. 24 fury 73.7 solo with low fuel and no water in live wells to 69 with 2 people and water in wells and 55-5600rpm 23 fury 73 with tackle but not much fuel and no water in wells to 70 loaded with 2 people and live wells full at 5800rpm. Is the extra length on the jackplate hurting it or is that motor just 2-3 mph slower? I need to run a different brand prop like a tempest but I’m not impressed with the power of the motor yet that’s for sure.

2. Member
    I feel the same way going from a Merc 225 Pro XS 2-stroke to the Merc 225 Pro XS 4-stroke. Still need more time on the lake working with the hydraulic jackplate and trim, but my sense is this is a step backward in power/overall acceleration. When testing 3 props recently I felt it took forever to get to top speed. Hole shot was very much improved, RPMs got up there reasonably quick but then top GPS speed was slow to reach from there. I've been driving this boat for 14 years and I know how it performed with the 2-stroke really well. It seems to me it zips out of the hole and on up to mid-range better than my 2-stroke did. But then it slowly grinds its way from mid-range to top end.

3. Member
    I agree feels good all the way up with the 23 pitch but just doesn’t go anywhere once it gets to 70. Feel like it needs to trim higher, I just trim it until it stops then mess with the jackplate. I could over trim with the 2 stroke. Ran a 27 pitch prop on the 2 stroke and a 23 on this one, old prop slipped a lot and this one is like 3 percent but slipping or not it was faster.

4. Member
    4 stroke is a slower winding motor.

5. Member
    Power comes quicker from a 2 stroke

6. Member
    The added weight from a 2 stroke to 4 stroke might hurt top speed

7. Member
    They claim the 4 stroke is lighter by 25-30 lbs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    The added weight from a 2 stroke to 4 stroke might hurt top speed
    They both weigh 515#.

Power comes quicker from a 2 stroke
    Ran a 27 pitch prop on the 2 stroke and a 23 on this one, old prop slipped a lot and this one is like 3 percent but slipping or not it was faster.
    This is true, also there is no way that a 4-stroke with a 23P prop is going to be faster than a 2-stroke with a 27P as long as the rpms are in the same ballpark.
    4-Strokes just don't have the power to turn the same prop we ran on the 2-Strokes. They had to go to 8 cylinders and still lagging a bit behind. But I love this freaking motor!!!!
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

10. Member
    You might try a 2 to 5 degree wedge to get more trim if you feel like speed stops when the trim does.
    Matt I
    2006 Triton 20xhp 225 Merc Pro XS
    Solix 15 G1, Solix 12 G2, Helix 12 gen4 12 gen3 , Ultrex 112, Mega 360, Mega Live

11. Member
    I just started looking into the wedges, I may try that. Thank you

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RVR-RAT View Post
    I just started looking into the wedges, I may try that. Thank you
    The new 4 stroke motors are limited to a certain degree of trim angle by the computer. If you are already reaching max trim per the computer, the wedges will not do anything. You cannot "trick" them with trim extenders or wedges like we could the two strokes.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    The new 4 stroke motors are limited to a certain degree of trim angle by the computer. If you are already reaching max trim per the computer, the wedges will not do anything. You cannot "trick" them with trim extenders or wedges like we could the two strokes.
    The PCM that is putting limitations on the trim can be programmed to go higher or lower (within established limits) on the 4-strokes. First thing to do is have mechanic check it out for you.
    Last edited by BrownTrout; 04-16-2021 at 04:26 PM.

14. Member
    Ok, I’ll have to take it back in and see what they can do. I’ve been to busy fishing lately to worry about it, just been running the 23 fury and going slow.