2020 pro Xs prop 1/8 to 1/4 turn loose

Why does the prop on my 250 pro Xs always end up an 1/8 to 1/4 turn loose after a day on the water?? I’m going to replace the washers and nut but it seems wierd.

2. Member
    Are you torquing it to 50 ftlbs? With a good wrench
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Yes sir 55 with 2 different torq wrenches

4. Member
    Are you sure its loose? The new sst hub is different than the older style. If you put the wrench on it it will move a little before it breaks loose. The new rubber is meant to do that. If its not that it could be a bad lock nut. Hope this helps

5. Member
    Ahhhhh I will check that tomorrow

6. Member
    The Belleville washer is probably backwards. It is the thin one in the middle, the cupped side should be toward the lower unit or the nut will loosen.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Correct on the placement and direction of the Belleville washer, though if you were to reverse that washer's orientation by accident, it WOULD NOT cause the nut to loosen.

Torque the hub to 55 lbs/ft and it's probably wise to retorque it after one outing on the water (the rubber portion of the SSR may seat slightly after the first good run on the water). Some movement may be noted after this as it IS a hub kit meant to absorb clutch rattle and the harsh engagement of the gears.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Changed nuts and washers to new...tq at 55lbs...marked the shaft ...after a day on the water it still
    Moved an 1/8. I’m at a loss

Some movement may be noted after this as it IS a hub kit meant to absorb clutch rattle and the harsh engagement of the gears.
    Re-torque it and try again, be careful to note if it does have to move to be the same.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter66 View Post
    Changed nuts and washers to new...tq at 55lbs...marked the shaft ...after a day on the water it still
    Moved an 1/8. I’m at a loss
    You marked the shaft. WHAT (precisely) "Moved an 1/8" (and by 1/8 do you mean inch, turn, mm, etc)?

As stated earlier- if you are referring to the PROP or the HUB, there is INTENTIONAL, BY DESIGN movement in the SSR Hub Kit. It is supposed to permit movement as it absorbs alternating forces.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I marked The Nut to the shaft and the nut backed off 1/8 of a turn.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the threads on the shaft. Beyond that, if you've tried a new nut with the same results, I'd have to see it. Not much help, I know... but I've never (not even one time) seen a case of that particular nut (which has been used for decades on thousands of different models) backing off all by itself.

Doesn't mean yours can't... just means if it is, it's one very special situation.

13. Member
    Well I tried a bit of blue locktite not a lot yesterday and it moved 1/2 as much without it. So it backed off a 1/16 of a turn but still moved according to the marks I put on. Man I agree it’s strange.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have a PM.

15. Member
    Update went to 65ft lbs from the spec of 55ft lbs and the Nut has stayed in place the last few tournaments. I believe this has corrected the issue.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Curious of something- when was the last time your torque wrench was calibrated?

That's about the only thing I could think of... every once in a while we get someone that bought a torque wrench that for whatever reason was WAY off and resulted in loose (or even broken) hardware.

17. Member
    Thought the same and while I was having issues I bought a new one and we still had the issue at 55 ft lbs.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm going to be watching for this myself, though I do not recall having any difficulties with nuts coming loose (been using that nut/washer configuration for about 20 years now).