Gen 1 Talon Cable Mess

One of my 8' gen 1 Talons got stuck while retracting. I tried to manually raise it but the crank was very hard to turn. The aluminum stage was fully deployed but the spike was retracted. The cable had jumped off the wrap drum is knotted around the shaft. The shaft drum might have some damage but I couldn't work the cable free. My question is can I cut the cable and install a new one without removing the wrap drum? If the wrap drum is damaged can I remove it or does this require special tools? One local Minn Kota ASC doesn't work on Talons and the other says they are no longer supported and parts might not be available. Leaves me with not too many options. I think I can find parts online but couldn't locate any service manual instructions for replacing the cable or wrap drum. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by mac18; 03-25-2021 at 06:47 PM.

2. Member
    The Gen 1 does have parts still available. In order to get this fixed you will have to do a compete tare down on the Talon. There are special tools for this tear down that ASC have. the cables and the wrap drum should be replaced. Along with the gibs that allows the second stage to retract and extract.
    See parts list below. There is a drop down screen on the top that allows you to jog to the different sections.
    If no one in your area works on them and you want to spend extra money for shipping you can ship it to me and I will fix it for you. Shoot me a PM if interested.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...ner_Assemblies

Brad, Isn't the motor & magnet the only parts not available or are there more?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    The Gen 1 does have parts still available. In order to get this fixed you will have to do a compete tare down on the Talon. There are special tools for this tear down that ASC have. the cables and the wrap drum should be replaced. Along with the gibs that allows the second stage to retract and extract.
    See parts list below. There is a drop down screen on the top that allows you to jog to the different sections.
    If no one in your area works on them and you want to spend extra money for shipping you can ship it to me and I will fix it for you. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Hey I really appreciate the info and your offer to fix it. I am going to take a little time and consider upgrading to Power Poles, Raptors or maybe 12' Talons. I just added a Garmin Force trolling motor over the winter and have been very happy with the gen 1 Talons combined with the Force. Not sure what to do at this point and whether I want to sink another 3 or 4 thousand into the boat for new shallow water anchors.

5. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post

Thanks for the link!
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

6. Member
    After exhausting all the possibilities of getting this Talon repaired locally, I looked into shipping it for repair and it is so expensive that it just isn't worth it. With very little to lose, I decided to take a stab at fixing it myself even though its seems really tough to do. I got a hold of pictures of all the special tools included in the Minn Kota Talon tool kit so that was helpful. I am hoping to come up with some work arounds for the tools or fabricate my own. After looking at how the cables are routed in my working Talon and partially disassembling the broken one I can see how most of the parts fit together. I spoke with a Minn Kota tech and he gave me some tips on the repair over the phone. So I have a new cable kit, wrap drum assembly, all the gibs and bunch of other small just-in-case parts. What would really help if anyone knows of a video or written instructions that list even the basic order of putting it back together. I was surprised not to find anything useful for a gen 1 Talon on Youtube. Anyway if you have done this repair just a few points about what order to put it back together would be helpful.

I am most unsure about what comes after the new cables have been attached to the piston and the inner assembly has been reinstalled into the main extrusion with new gibs and the new cables routed and finally run out the top by the motor. Do you install the cable ends into the wrap drum before it is installed on the shaft? Specifically I am not sure about the last major step- is it tensioning the last pulley at the opposite end of the wrap drum?
    Last edited by mac18; 04-09-2021 at 10:48 AM.