Best shaky heads?

Need some advice on different shaky heads. Currently using owner and jewel squirrel heads. I seem to miss alot of fish with the owner heads. The jewel heads seem to have better hook up, but the hook is pretty light. Have to straighten it ever so often. I have read some different articles about some head designs not working well for shaky heads? Anybody got any recommendations?

2. Member
    I've switched back/forth with 3 primary shaky head jigs - Secret Lures, Megastrike and Sieberts. I like them all, but if you prefer something with a little thinner wire, I'd say the Secret Lures might be the best of those 3 options and I rarely have them bend out (if so, usually pike are the culprit). I prefer their Wide Gap Tail Shaker jig for fatter worms/creatures, and the J-bend jig for thinner worms.

To me, it's a big deal that they be built with the bait keeper on the hook shank. The screw lock varieties look nice and don't snag up very easy, but the screw lock eats up your hook bite and orients the bait so that the hook point is way too parallel with your bait causing the hook point to penetrate further "along" the bait when you lean into one instead of out of the bait and into the fish's mouth. When the keeper is on the hook shank, the bait stands up better, and when one grabs it, the hook point is oriented perpendicular to the soft plastic so it punches right out of the bait and into the fish's mouth.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I like the vmc finesse rugby for 7” worms

5. Scraps
    Just watched a Randy Blaukat video last night, he claims Davis Baits O'Shaughnessy bend and the Picasso Rhino head. Neither are screw lock.

2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Need some advice on different shaky heads. Currently using owner and jewel squirrel heads. I seem to miss alot of fish with the owner heads. The jewel heads seem to have better hook up, but the hook is pretty light. Have to straighten it ever so often. I have read some different articles about some head designs not working well for shaky heads? Anybody got any recommendations?
    Interesting....first Shakyhead I tried was the Jewel squirrel head and I NEVER boated a fish on one. I blamed the light hook for flexing...it was sharp enough. Since, I've tried a bunch of Shakyheads, from VMC to Owner to Dirty Jigs, and had very good results with all of them. All have had corkscrew bait holders, tho I liked the baitholder on the Jewel just fine. The two things I learned was that the Owner is quickest to replace the plastic bait, the football works better in rock and the ball head works better in weeds. The Dirty Jigs "Scott Canterbury" seems to work well in both, tho.

Do NOT overlook using a 5" Zoom lizard on your shakyhead....6" if you don't have smallmouth in your lake.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

7. Member
    Frenzy Nail head.Only one that I use and works with Elaztec worms

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Frenzy Nail head.Only one that I use and works with Elaztec worms
    Do you happen to know what brand of hook they use on those? The info on TW didn't say.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Do you happen to know what brand of hook they use on those? The info on TW didn't say.
    no ,Havent broke any with a fish but have snapped one on a snag

10. Member
    Crock O Gator my favorite shacky head
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

11. Member
    Buckeye Spot Remover. Rarely miss fish.