Store charcoal outside?

Anyone keep their charcoal outside? I am tired of having bags piled in my basement. I bought a tote and put a bag in it to try. We are getting a downpour now so I will find out how well it works. It’s under my stainless table and not in direct rain so I think it should be fine. I was wondering about moisture in the air.

I keep my Lump in a big plastic tote it is under roof But is out side and I haven't had any problem with it.
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by repdept View Post
    I keep my Lump in a big plastic tote it is under roof But is out side and I haven't had any problem with it.
    Cool. Good to know

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just be aware that there is a small possibility of wet charcoal spontaneously combusting. Keep it dry.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I keep my lump coal in a metal trash can with a lid for 15+ years never had any issues with it. Not sure how the humidity will affect charcoal briquettes though.

6. Member
    I use the Kingsford 32 qt. totes, from Amazon, for my wood pellets. They are outside year-round, and no problems. Might work the same for your charcoal?

7. Moderator
    Charcoal absorbs moisture. Can be stored outside for short time.

8. Moderator
    So far I have been keeping it in a tote outside since I asked this question with no issue. I use my grill 2-3 times a week so I would notice something pretty quick I believe. The tote sits under my stainless table up against a brick wall so it doesn’t get direct rain. So far so good but I will report back with any issues.

9. Member
    I think if you have it in a tight container, and you’re using it as often as you are, I don’t think you will have problems. I do pretty much the same thing you’re talking about and I have no problems.

10. Member
    I use leftover buckets that previously contained pool chemical. If you do not have a pool, stop by a pool store and get some. They will have plenty of buckets with air tight lids.

I store my lump charcoal inside the cabinet on my outdoor kitchen. I store it in the original bag, and make sure the top is closed. Never had any issues.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"