Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member

Great News!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    I am happy to report I finally got out to test the units and after 7-1/2 hours I can say I didn't have a single issue

This is the first time in a very long time I've had them networked without any issues for a full day one the water

I have been following this thread and watching carefully. I want to say that it is great that you finally got this resolved! I have learned a lot from several people here. All of the information and detail that is shared is VERY much appreciated by many of us that do not have the experience or knowledge that some of you do.

Yourself, SLY and Bob always have good ideas. I read all of your posts just to help with my learning curve.

Thanks to all of you for all the time and effort put into helping others solve their issues. I can only imagine how many people get help without ever having to ask for it because of the detailed answers you all have provided!

THANKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Roy, Glad to hear about your units functioning great! Have you put in all your menu's and options? The Windows comparison might be somewhat valid , but I feel that all the browsing data is what slows windows down not to mention all the online shenanigans with your info is another demand added on. You could assume some clutter or (known only to HB) some drag on the system for some reason they are not sharing. Hope it stays in its present state forever. Please keep us informed. Bob
    Bob,

Yes I put in all my custom windows, menu settings and overlays not to mention turning off the 178 globals in the units

Like windows when you do an update it’s not like a freshly written OS.
    Each update comes with install files and it also has to deletes some files and they may not always get every little bit of code and leave small bits and pieces here and there

This can add up over time and cause unforeseen issues and slow the OS down when it tries to work out why that code is still there

It’s always better to have a "clean" copy of an OS rather than a piece mealed version
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by ncggun View Post
    I have a single Solix 10 G1 on my boat with last autumn's software version (3.64 I believe). I live in western Canada so don't use the boat much when the lakes are frozen. I usually update the software before my first trip in the spring but aren't sure now that I should. The last version seemed to have the unit performing pretty good and I don't see a lot of advantage to the newest version so should I update? I thank you for your thoughts, sometimes updates have been really good but some have been major steps backwards so I really appreciate the input.
    ncggun,

If your happy with the unit and the current update doesn't have a fix or feature you really feel you need I would leave it alone
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    I have been following this thread and watching carefully. I want to say that it is great that you finally got this resolved! I have learned a lot from several people here. All of the information and detail that is shared is VERY much appreciated by many of us that do not have the experience or knowledge that some of you do.

Yourself, SLY and Bob always have good ideas. I read all of your posts just to help with my learning curve.

Thanks to all of you for all the time and effort put into helping others solve their issues. I can only imagine how many people get help without ever having to ask for it because of the detailed answers you all have provided!

THANKS!!!!
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Well after talking to the HB CS Today they have requested that I send both units back for evaluation at no cost

Well no cost but shipping

I will update you once I know more
    You're a lucky man. My gen 1 Helix 12 crashed last week doing the update ( No loss of power as I set and watched it the entire time). After 15 to 20 min. it shut down and restarted and then went into a continual shutdown restart procedure while I waited on hold. Spent more than an hour on hold waiting for a tech. Battery voltage was a constant 12.8 the entire time. He had me unplug the unit from power to see if that would fix anything. Of course it didn't. Then he informed me the only option was sending it back and pay $320.45 for them to fix it because it's out of warranty. With 4 birds on the boat I think they've cured me of ever doing another update and likely cured me of ever buying another Humminbird if that is how they choose to handle this.

6. Member
    Seems there a lot of people having to send in units after these updates. Makes you wonder if they do this on purpose of leaving old programming in so you have to pay to get them fix when it was there fault with faulty updates. Another way for them to create revenue???? Just a thought. We always sit here and wondering why these updates aren't tested on all units before they put them out. Just my 2 cents.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar76 View Post
    Seems there a lot of people having to send in units after these updates. Makes you wonder if they do this on purpose of leaving old programming in so you have to pay to get them fix when it was there fault with faulty updates. Another way for them to create revenue???? Just a thought. We always sit here and wondering why these updates aren't tested on all units before they put them out. Just my 2 cents.
    planned ob·so·les·cence
    /noun
    a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of nondurable materials.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

8. Member
    Guys, keep in mind very few people with perfectly running units do much input on these forums. "Seems like a lot of people sending units back" needs to be compared with how many units are out there. No, HB is not perfect. But nobody is. I have been frustrated before. That's how I ended up with HB units for a dozen years or so now.(frustrated with Lowrance) Stuff breaks and people mess stuff up. Keeps the service people busy. It is expensive to keep switching brands as well. Even without covert marketing tactics, it can be frustrating. Good fishin Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I believe that many of the issues which come up are "self inflicted". With the ever increasing complexity of fishing electronics these days, you can't just pull them out of the box, plug them in, and go fish. To maximize the benefit, it takes some investment of time and a willingness to dig in. That's the true value of forums like this... There are always things to learn from people who have been there and done that.

I follow several Humminbird related "Fakebook" groups as well and I'm amazed at the basic questions people will fire off because they have probably never viewed a single page of the owners manual. The number of wrong answers people will provide on those groups also amazes me. There is much more value to specialized groups like this BBC forum to get real help on tough questions.

Yes, I contribute to this group quite a bit but I also learn a lot from this group as well. It's definitely a two way street!
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I believe that many of the issues which come up are "self inflicted". With the ever increasing complexity of fishing electronics these days, you can't just pull them out of the box, plug them in, and go fish. To maximize the benefit, it takes some investment of time and a willingness to dig in. That's the true value of forums like this... There are always things to learn from people who have been there and done that.

I follow several Humminbird related "Fakebook" groups as well and I'm amazed at the basic questions people will fire off because they have probably never viewed a single page of the owners manual. The number of wrong answers people will provide on those groups also amazes me. There is much more value to specialized groups like this BBC forum to get real help on tough questions.

Yes, I contribute to this group quite a bit but I also learn a lot from this group as well. It's definitely a two way street!
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    SlyDoggie and Wayne,
    First of all, I'm a new member here but have been a lurker on this sight for awhile. Thank you for the huge amount of help and support you guys have provided for people like me. If you have any insight in something I screwed up on I'm all ears. The tech couldn't answer that question and I'm still left with a large bill to pay. I don't care to be in this position again. Thanks again. Bob

While I'm typing this 5 posts in the top 10 posts have a title about issues with updates

now maybe (And I say maybe) a couple are self inflected but there is clearly a trend here
    "The handicapped angler"

13. Member
    Happens to me as well. I type slow!
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

14. Member
    I am happy to report I finally got out to test the units and after 7-1/2 hours I can say I didn't have a single issue

This is the first time in a very long time I've had them networked without any issues for a full day one the water

Roy I'm really glad to hear that your units are working as they should. I truly hope your issues are fixed. Great news!
    Best of luck,
    RoyT

Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Roy I'm really glad to hear that your units are working as they should. I truly hope your issues are fixed. Great news!
    Best of luck,
    RoyT
    Thank You

But if you still visit the Garmin forums you will notice I’m hedging my bet by buying a second Garmin and Livescope

I’m done solely depending on HB

I know you have had issues with the live scope and hope you got a handle on that but even a ghost tree is better than waiting for mega live at this point

"The handicapped angler"

16. Member
    Yes my Garmin Livescope has issues but I can't imagine fishing without it.
    Really, really looking forward to what HB has to offer. Just seems like it might be a long wait. :)

Well that didn't take long

4th and 5th trip out the console 10" has to be rebooted units touch screen stops working, sonar locks up and map/chart is low to render when you switch to that page

these units should have never been released like this
    "The handicapped angler"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234