My lead sled just got slower with new Ultrex. Ranger z21

I have a 2007 Ranger z21. Just went from 36v Fortrex to 36v Ultrex. Anybody know the weight difference--I cannot find anywhere. Anyway--I lost 2 mph. Anybody else experience this? The z21 is already nose heavy. Guess I dont need lithium batteries as I need some weight in the back to get the nose up:)
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If I recall correctly, the weight difference is about 13 pounds, and right on the nose of the boat, that can make a difference. These balance issues are often very boat-specific; that is, it might make a noticeable difference on your boat and not on another boat. You could always put heavier batteries in the back.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    If I recall correctly, the weight difference is about 13 pounds, and right on the nose of the boat, that can make a difference. These balance issues are often very boat-specific; that is, it might make a noticeable difference on your boat and not on another boat. You could always put heavier batteries in the back.
    Well DAMN, now I guess I need to go on a diet !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    move some weight rearward!! or clean out front boxes some? more lift might help as in 4 blade or worked prop?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Not a Ranger but yes ultrex from maxxum I have lost 3 mph and than added big graphs and lost some more .That weight up from is a speed killer.

6. Moderator
    This is interesting. I added 1 blade and an ultrex to my 518 and literally didn't lose ANYTHING....Only difference is that I have to keep a little throttle to keep water from splashing on the back deck because of the power pole bracket causing water to crash over.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If you added 13 pounds to the bow and 50 or so pounds to the stern, you probably kept the same balance in the boat. And on many rigs, an additional 60 or so pounds overall won’t significantly hinder performance. On the balance issue, I noticed once or twice when I’ve been fishing solo in my current rig that if I take an extra 60 pounds of tackle in the front compartments that my hole shot becomes instantaneous: bow doesn’t rise more than 3 inches before planing. Those are situations, though, where I’m on a small lake and not concerned at all about top end speed.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. mikesxpress
    Don these Z21's are pretty weight sensitive. Putting 13 more pounds on the bow has to hurt it. I'm curious what a Ghost TM would do to it? That would be like strapping an 11 year old on the bow considering the massive profile.

I only carry a Wal-Mart bag equivalent of tackle in my front box and with the 2 stroke propped correctly it carried the bow just fine. I haven't got to do a run video with this V8 four stroke yet.

9. Member
    Mike

Thanks for the reply--I missed this somehow.. I am guessing I will just live with it. Between the Ultrex and new electronics I have added some serious weight to the bow. I had good bow lift and could hit 71mph plus before. I may see if I can get some cup in my prop to give a little lift.

Thanks for all your posts--I enjoy them
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

10. Member
    Yep--electronics and ultrex--lost 4mph
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

11. Member
    go to a 4blade prop drop one size from your 3 blade. i actually gained mph going from a 3 to 4 blade as the the boat lifts more. you can also try dropping the motor down a little if you have a jack plate

12. Member
    Catfish--I had not thought of 4 blade--that is something to try for sure
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by lunker56 View Post
    Mike

Thanks for the reply--I missed this somehow.. I am guessing I will just live with it. Between the Ultrex and new electronics I have added some serious weight to the bow. I had good bow lift and could hit 71mph plus before. I may see if I can get some cup in my prop to give a little lift.

Thanks for all your posts--I enjoy them
    While a 4 blade may be another option, I never found one that didn't kill the top end drastically with the 2 stroke on my Z21. Robbie at Propeller Dynamics should be able to tweek your existing prop to get some of your performance back.

14. Member
    Thanks Mike--I have a call into Robbie now!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

Ultrex sets higher and graphs more air also. Weight didn’t help
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

16. Member
    quick update--moved tackle to the back of the boat--also got rid of stuff I never used. Crazy--I gained 3mph. IN these nose heavy z21's the weight distribution makes a huge difference
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250