Keitech Swimbait Rod

What suggestions are out there. Was considering a Conquest 903...thoughts.

Literally an ugly stick will work for kietechs on a jig head. I'd probably pick something in a 7 or 7'3" mh for most of the 3.8 and up and your favorite spinning rod for smaller .

3. Member
    Depends on size. For 4.3/4.8 I use a mh/fast casting (poison adrena), for 5.8/6.8 I use an extra heavy/mod-fast (shimano expride). They are rigged weedless about 90%+ of the time for me. If you're strictly throwing the small ones any medium power/fast action casting or spinning rod should suffice. The loomis 903 should be good up the 4.8, 5.8 might be pushing it. A conquest for this very simplistic cast and retrieve technique is way overkill imo unless you plan to use the rod for other things too, with that budget you could get a decent rod and reel combo.

4. Member
    Have you ever heard of Douglas rods? They are a newer high end rod company that makes phenomenal spinning and casting rods. I've been using them for a year now and absolutely love them. I'd look at their matrix series if you want the best. For small keitechs, I love their x matrix 6103XF Spinning rod and for larger keitech swimbaits I like the 715F or 765XF.

5. Member
    Im usually throwing 3.8 and 4.8 in the impact fat swimbait. keep the suggestions coming!!

6. Member
    I use a G. Loomis EX6 Swimbait rod- 7 foot 4 inches (EX6 884C SWBR )

7. Member
    How are you rigging the keitech? I mean you can fish that thing on a 1 ounce football head or 1/4 or lighter need more info

8. Member
    Currently got a 3/8 once belly weight hook on it, but want to get some swimbait heads.

9. Member
    Don't need to work for spaceX to throw these. I throw stuff like this on my basic swimbait set up. Tfo swimbait rod, 12-17# line, whatever you got. Also used a 7 ft rod med hvy tfo rod, not sure the model( low end). Same line. Money better well spent on quality heads and hooks. I'm in the process of throwing to together a light saltwater spinning set up. Walleye guys use stuff like that alot.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

10. Member
    I throw alot of 3.3 and 3.8 with 1/4 and 3/8 oz heads, I use my imx pro 853. Also happens to be my finesse jig rod. Works good for me.

11. Member
    I like my Megabass Orochi XX Enforcer for 1/4oz ball head jigs and 2.8-4" paddle tails. It's a really versatile rod, but I don't think you have to spend a ton of money for this technique.

The Levante Enforcer would do well.

12. Member
    NRX 893 for 3/8 ounce head is money. If going up over 1/2 ounce I like a 854/894. The diameter of your hook and line and leader are all part of the equation on getting a dialed in setup.

I throw these baits on pretty dramatically different rods depending on what type of cover I'm fishing, even for the same size swimbait and same weight. If I'm covering water around hard cover (rocks, wood, docks) or slow rolling them through deeper rocks, I'm throwing them on more moderate action rods, the same type of rod I throw my chatterbaits, swim jigs, buzzbaits, etc. on. MH/Mod fast, allows me to bomb casts, and allows the fish to get the bait good before I lean into them. If fishing them in grass, I want a faster rod so I can feel when they get into the grass, and easily pop it free. That's where the Phenix Feather (MH, XF rated) does work for me.

If you're fishing them weedless, you're probably going to want a more powerful rod to make sure you drive the hook home. If with an exposed hook, you don't need as much power of course.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    That 903 is great for what you want to do.

15. Member
    7 ft. MF spinning
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

16. Member
    E6X 884SWBR
    Everyone should own one of these.
    Great larger keitech rod amongst a lot of other things.
    I throw the 3.8 and 4.3 on a GL2 893 jwr.
    1/8 oz ball head and 2.8/3.3 on spinning rod

Do yourself a favor and call Alex at ALX. He will fix you up with the ideal rod for how you personally fish. He has so many models its like getting a custom stock rod. He will probably save you money because he's not shy at recommending a lower price model if that's the one that would fish best for your particular style.

The phone call is easy and he's a fun guy to talk with. Guys here are good at helping but that's what Alex does for a living and he knows his rods and what questions to ask you to get you dialed in to just the right setup.

It's a no brainer, really.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellison View Post
    E6X 884SWBR
    Everyone should own one of these.
    Great larger keitech rod amongst a lot of other things.
    I’m considering this rod, would love to know what other uses you’ve found it good for outside of paddle tails.

19. Member
    Either a MB XX EMTF or MB Daemos, both baitcasting rods with a Lews Custom Pro. 30lb Power Pro with 10-14 fluoro leader or straight 10-12 fluoro. Of course I typically throw them for on bodies of water with big Smallmouth or in the river in the Fall for either large or smallmouth