Big heavy spinnerbaits

Thanks to the swap and sell board and too many drinks, I am the proud owner of a nice collection of big heavy spinnerbaits. 1 oz+ couple of ledgebusters, revenge, Stanley etc. Since I'm based in the poverty stricken area of the country called " upstate New York ", I Was wondering about the possibilities of these baits. Smallmouth?? Conditions? Tackle?? Stripers?? Lake trout?? Thank you for your time!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

2. Member
    River with heavy current ran over current breaks/wood

Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Thanks to the swap and sell board and too many drinks, I am the proud owner of a nice collection of big heavy spinnerbaits. 1 oz+ couple of ledgebusters, revenge, Stanley etc. Since I'm based in the poverty stricken area of the country called " upstate New York ", I Was wondering about the possibilities of these baits. Smallmouth?? Conditions? Tackle?? Stripers?? Lake trout?? Thank you for your time!
    yes! I use a heavy on Cayuga with good success, those deep weedlines......... I do mess with blades sometimes big, sometime small to burn deep.

4. Member
    Take a #7 Hildebrand Colorado and either walk in down the drops on the river channel or weed-lines. You will need a heavy action rod. As soon as the bait stops on the fall , snap the rod upwards about 12/14"" and let the bait fall. The bite will just be a tick like a jig bite, while the bait just starts to fall.

5. Scraps
    This is a technique I've had on my list of things to try along deep weedlines and across rockpiles in a quarry lake I fish. Have also been reading about big spinnerbaits with an oversized blade fished up shallow around the spawn. Big, thumping blade mimicking what a chatterbait does. I'd say being in NY there are tons of applications for those baits. Gotta have the right tackle to enjoy using them. I'd say 20lb line and a heavy rod.

Also remember Robert Hamilton uncovering the technique of ripping a big spinnerbait off the bottom during his Classic win. Say what you will, that guy was a talented fisherman.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

You didn't say what colors your bought. But, an all chartreuse (head, skirt, and blades) is a smallie killer on Lake Erie. You can slow roll it. But, the fish will also come up out of the deep to whack it when fished just a few feet below the surface.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 03-25-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Thanks jeff, I did the all chart deal for years. All those baits disappeared. Gotta reload on those someday. I do have some all white that paid the bills for a few years.
    Thanks for the info everybody. I'm gonna play around with these this spring. Stripers on the hudson, lake trout on some other lakes. Just to get a feel for them. Maybe get some followers. I got a bunch of blades and skirts in the bunker. I've been putting off dragging those tubs up. Gonna fill the dining room with spinnerbaits parts!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"