Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Work bet what would you do?

Two guys got to the job first and had all the tools and material they needed to do the job (small two man job for the most part). 4 more of us pull up to give them a quick hand One of the original guys that was first there asked me if I had a 3/8 1/4” impact chuck i told him yea In my locker. The hex/Allen socket set they had was for 3/8” drive and all the chucks they had was 1/2”. So he went and got mine After completing the job we was getting all of our tools up and one guy said that’s my impact I said ok but that’s my chuck and he said no it’s mine I again said ok but that’s my chuck he said you want to bet a $100 on it (all six of us are standing in a semi circle now). I told him I’ll bet $5000 that’s my chuck he said BET took his glove off and stuck his hand out I looked over to the guy who originally asked and borrowed it “you did get that chuck off of my truck” He clearly Diddnt want to be the man in the middle of the bet plus we all get along and are friends for the most part he looked at me and nooded his head yes before I could get my glove off my hand he was trying to shake my hand. He spoke with pride saying look at this if it was yours then why does it have my initials on it? I calmly pulled the hex socket off and said yes that’s yours but the CHUCK is mine. You can only imagine how that went over with a group of high ego, arrogant, knowledgeable construction workers.... all he could say was payment plan $100 a week. He walked over to me at the shop and tried giving me a $100 dollars I told him hold on to it will work it out. Then right before we got off he tried giving it to me again. It’s weighing pretty heavy on him (he’s a huge marketplace seller willing and dealing anything for a dollar). He’s not broke by any means but he really has no conscience when it comes to selling stuff so this to me is some form of karma making it’s way back around. With all that being said I’m not gonna take the money even if he tries to give it to me but I really ask myself given the dirty stuff I’ve seen him do for a dollar Would he take my money if i would have lost what kind of good ideas do y’all have for me to keep him on the edge about it
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

I would never take the money. But, I’d tell him that he owes you a big favor. Whether you ever call that favor in is up to you.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    I would use spaces.
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

4. Member
    The chuck is part of the impact driver. Sounds like you are talking about a socket adapter.

I would call it even.

5. Member
    My way of thinking about your scenario is; you have to do what is "right" by you, you can't worry about trying to figure out what he would do.

Quote Originally Posted by R83steve View Post
    My way of thinking about your scenario is; you have to do what is "right" by you, you can't worry about trying to figure out what he would do.
    x2

7. Member
    Take the $100 money. Make him take it to a charity of your choice and get a reciept. Humility could be contageous.

8. Member
    Take the money and buy everyone lunch. Then tell everyone to thank him for the free eats.

Tell him you're afraid of needles, but need a CDC Covid-19 immunization card.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Take the $100 money. Make him take it to a charity of your choice and get a reciept. Humility could be contageous.
    If this was me, I’d be along these lines..... I’d tell him he didn’t owe me anything, but if it makes him feel better he can donate all or some of the money to a charity.

But if you’re looking to get a laugh out of it, and he’d do anything for a buck like you said..... maybe tell him you’ll write it off if he comes to work wearing...... get creative ...

11. Member
    I think.... This is a case for The People’s Court.

This is why it takes so long to get a job done lol

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    I would use spaces.
    LOL

14. Member
    I'm taking the week off to think about this...

Drills have chucks. Impacts have adapters.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

16. Member
    Very good suggestions and opinions I would have to agree with y’all on Chuck or formally known as impact adaptor around here we call it a chuck and we all know what we mean when we break one
    and yell down for someone to get you a new chuck But he knew he couldn’t play the wordy word game “chuck/adaptor”. Im gonna wait him out and let him sweat a little. Good call on the use some spaces I’ll shamefully admit i lol at your comment myself
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

17. Member
    you seem to be doing the right thing, even though I'm not sure what a chuck is or what it does. If he offers $100 bucks again, take it and call it square

if he ever crosses you in the future just say, now remember you still owe me $4900 (as a joke)
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

18. Banned
    Take it and call it a lesson learned for him.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Drills have chucks. Impacts have adapters.
    An impact driver does have a chuck.

20. Member
    I'm confused. Who the Hell is Chuck?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast