Pro XS 175 Pacemaker

Anyone have experience with Mercury's pacemaker program?
    Any reliability concerns vs new?

A dealer near me has a "new" 175 Pro XS they have been talking to me about upgrading to from my 150 4 stroke. Warranty and all seems good (current motor is out of warranty anyway 2014).

Boat is a 2014 Ranger Reata 1850, which has been great, but it's always bugged me not having maxed out the HP rating.

I bought a pacemaker motor from Don a number of years ago. It ran perfect and had 1.5 hours on it. It was a nice discounted price and even bought 2 more years of Platinum PPP as well. I would not hesitate to by another.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Thanks SB! Interesting thought on the Platinum PPP. I will have to inquire.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to see if you can get the Serial Number. Make sure it's a Pacemaker (and not a CPO... as there is a difference in Warranty coverage).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Very good point Don. I'm told (need to confirm) by the dealer that they actually have one of each. I'm thinking the Pacemaker would be my preference, but I'd be open to suggestion if anyone had a dissenting opinion.

6. Member
    So my dumb question. What is a peacemaker and a CPO?

CPO = Certified Pre Owned

Pacemaker: It was pulled from the line for testing, classroom demonstration, or some other reason. Don will clarify. Motor’s serial number has an additional character in it. Mine had a “P” at the end.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    CPO = Certified Pre Owned

Pacemaker: It was pulled from the line for testing, classroom demonstration, or some other reason. Don will clarify. Motor’s serial number has an additional character in it. Mine had a “P” at the end.
    That pretty much covers it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor