Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Do a search on Reddit, I was over there a few months ago and there was a guy, I think he was an attorney, who told the story of how he went after a boat company (don't remember the brand) and won. As others have said, I would want a new hull, and probably not that model. I am kind of leary of Crestliner now after hearing your story and others, also I contacted one of their dealers a few weeks ago by email with just a general question regarding the price comparison of a Crestliner vs Lund and never got a response.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    Do a search on Reddit, I was over there a few months ago and there was a guy, I think he was an attorney, who told the story of how he went after a boat company (don't remember the brand) and won. As others have said, I would want a new hull, and probably not that model. I am kind of leary of Crestliner now after hearing your story and others, also I contacted one of their dealers a few weeks ago by email with just a general question regarding the price comparison of a Crestliner vs Lund and never got a response.
    The lund boats cost more but the riveted construction allows some flex and it cuts down on stress cracks like with welded boats, im not sure if lund has went to all aluminum construction like crestliner or if they still build them with wood and composite for deck and transom. However Lund, crestliner, and Lowe boats are all owned by Brunswick corporation!

3. Member
    mine broke like that on the keel also, then broke just like that on the second weld,same spot.. had a guy do the same thing with a solid piece that now goes over the keel, it's holding up for now
    2018 Crestliner PT20
    2018 Evinrude G2 200 H.O.
    Duel 8' PP blades
    Atlas hydraulic jackplate

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ram rod View Post
    mine broke like that on the keel also, then broke just like that on the second weld,same spot.. had a guy do the same thing with a solid piece that now goes over the keel, it's holding up for now
    Did you lose any performance after they put a piece on the keel? After crestliner put wedges on my hull it has to be trimmed all the way up to get any lift over 4500 rpm and it tops out at about 50 mph as it stands rn with a 200 merc pro xs fourstroke.

5. Banned
    One guy on here, I think his name is Z Kenneth fishing or something like that, had a PT20 that was a turd, long battle and he ended up with a basscat. You could tell from his posting afterwards that if you read between the lines he ended up with some sorta buyout settlement that he wasn't allowed to discuss. I have seen another PT20 that had every bell and whistle on it, less than a year old and it was falling apart, transom crack in same spot as your and it cracked multiple times, plus other problems. I think the mx21 was an attempt to get away from the PT20 and all its problems.

6. Member
    I had the keel break on my VT18. Not a weld, but the keel itself. I found Crestliner good to deal with, but that was pre-covid and I know they've been crazy swamped. They offered to let me dealer try to fix it, but we both felt more comfortable sending it back to the factory for repair.

This sucks though...hope you get the remedy you're looking for.

7. Banned
    wow, lots of problems with these..............

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam.dfishing View Post
    Did you lose any performance after they put a piece on the keel? After crestliner put wedges on my hull it has to be trimmed all the way up to get any lift over 4500 rpm and it tops out at about 50 mph as it stands rn with a 200 merc pro xs fourstroke.
    It preforms about the same as before the fix. I have the wedges also along with a hydraulic jack plate and have never experienced the porpoising that other have.
    2018 Crestliner PT20
    Duel 8' PP blades

9. Member

Update on repairs.

Just got the boat back with the new bracing welded on. going to the lake to test it out tomorrow. here's some pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Well, it looks like they did a good job (to my untrained eye at least). I hope it works out this time. You have been through hell with this boat. My next stop would be at a dealership to order a different new rig. Best of luck to you. Let us know how the test run goes.

11. Member
    I was out on conroe and put a pretty good beating on the boat, not a single drop of water came out when I pulled the plug, I'll be going to Sam Rayburn for 5 days next week due to a tournament. Hopefully it makes it through that to.

12. Member
    That was the factory fix? I'm no welding expert by any means and that may be a great welding job. But I'm shocked they didn't at least paint it. Regardless, hope it proves reliable for you

13. Member
    Your fix looks exactly like mine. They didn’t paint mine either
    2018 Crestliner PT20
    Duel 8' PP blades

14. Member
    That's got to help the re-sale value! Glad the repair works, but amazed they're happy to send that out as a representation of their craftsmanship.

15. Member
    Well guys update on my crestliner pt20, the repair they added to the keel has started to crack where the two pieces were welded to the other piece, there are multiple cracked welds under the lids still, and a popping and squeaking noise when walking around the cockpit of the boat, also when motor is shifted into gear vibration cause a knocking noise that sounds like a loose internal stringer. Pray that crestliner does me well this time should be able to bring it in after new years. Boat only has 276 hours of use. Last repaired in april 2021

16. Member
    As others have said, it's long past the time for you to lawyer up. Hopefully you've got an attorney buddy who doesn't mind taking on this deal. It's actually a pretty simple deal IF you've got good records. Often times, ONE letter from an attorney might well turn the tide.

IF you choose this route you need to go to the dealer and demand the records regarding this boat. Run it by your lawyer FIRST, but, he'll need as complete and detailed a record as you can provide him/her. Your pictures (and any others you might have in your possession) are testament to the situation (and very strong evidence), but, any and all communications between yourself, the dealer, and Crestliner itself are essential. If you can formulate an accurate timeline that will help your case as well. Obviously, you'll need the original contract and all the receipts you have in your possession in regards to all the additional work that's been done to the boat.

I did a lot of due diligence before I bought my used Al boat. I also did same so as to determine what I wanted to do with the boat renovation. The PT20 was one I was warned not to buy. There's also numerous consumers who've experienced similar issues as yourself. I'd research those threads/posts and bookmark/print them as it will help buttress your case.

This hull obviously has issues and they know it. I'd imagine they're counting on a clause in the contract and/or you to either be too poor, or too lazy, to pursue legal action.....many corporations operate exactly that way.

Great luck!
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-06-2021 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Adding info

17. Member
    If I was you I would be checking into the Federal Lemon law, no way in h--- would I keep that boat much less put up with what you have so far.

Link to a Federal Lemon Lawyer just for information might be worth to do more digging into this.
    https://lemonlawnow.com/is-the-lemon...-for-vehicles/

18. Member
    It’s disappointing that a boat with such potential has what are basically structural and design problems. Perhaps even weld quality problems. I currently have a 20’ Excel aluminum bay boat with a pad v hull. I bought it new in 2015. There is not one weld that is even giving a hint of cracking. The boat is built incredibly well. It will last longer than me. I’m mentioning this because the problem appears to be Crestliner design or build quality.

Lawyering up is exhausting, expensive and time consuming, but in this case, the boat is having real long lasting problems. These problems will affect long term resale value and potentially future reliability. All of these repairs are also changing the factory finish, which cannot be replicated in a normal spray booth and look half way decent. So even if they repair the boat, five years from now it could all start again. And if you decide to sell the boat to be rid of the problem, you could also expose yourself to some liability by a future owner. I doubt you want to pass that problem to someone else. So really, this is a Crestliner problem. I hope they make you right.

19. Member
    I hate to read stuff like this. After years of glass bass boat ownership, I had my first welded aluminum bass boat built. I convinced myself that it's the last boat I will ever buy, and that it's nearly indestructible(.190 thick Strike Series)...I hope it is. Good luck with your resolution.

I would get a lawyer and do it now. I would not use it or fish out of it or anything before talking to a lawyer.

If you let them weld it and call it fixed and pick it up at the dealer ---- it may be that you are accepting it to be repaired and repaired to your satisfaction since you are using it.

I would have a lawyer on the phone ASAP.... I would let him tell me what to do. You have too much money tied up to just sit and let them roll over you. That hull.needs to be replaced. It is ridiculous what is happening to you. I would also be all over their Facebook pages and groups telling my story. This is not right. Don't take the boat back. It will be inconvenient maybe, but do what the lawyer tells you to do.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast