Took out my 00 TR21 for the first time..

So I took out my 00 TR21 for the first time over the weekend. Needless to say I was not impressed. First off lets get the specs and details out of the way. Its a 2000 TR21, with a 04 225 Optimax spinning a 25 tempest. 10" set back, motor set at 2 3/4" PTP. Boat is fully tournament loaded. 3 group 31, Ultrex, and three graphs. Two guys, not sure how much fuel. The boat only ran 66.7 mph at 5300 rpm, my motor is a 5750 max rpm motor, with a 1.78 lower. Hole shot sucked, very sluggish. I had two plugs completely removed from the prop. Absolutely no chine walk, and the boat didn't seem like it was lifting at all, felt like the nose was way down. I kept trimming until it ran out of trim, waiting for the bow to lift, which it never did. Rooster tail was about even with the cowl at wide open. I was hoping for at least 70-72 mph after reading everyone's post on their boat set ups. I think I need to check if I'm actually getting wide open throttle. Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?? I don't think I want to raise the motor anymore or Ill loose more lift then it already had. I talked to Mark Croxton today, and he said that I should have the motor set at 1 3/4" ptp, I feel like that is really high. I had plenty of water pressure at wide open though. I have heard of some people installing 2.5 degree wedges for more trim angle. I was just very let down and was expecting a lot more.

I would not be afraid to go to 2" PTP
    my 03 Tr21 liked 2 1/4" PTP
    The 03 is a little heavier boat but I ran 72-74 depending on the load
    I would suggest balance and blueprinting that 25 Tempest and make sure its not the prop
    Another thing to try would be a Trophy
    My hull liked the 4 blade and ran within 1 mile an hour of the tempest but the Trophy was much easier to drive and came out of the hole better

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

3. Member
    Try a 24 tempest.

4. Member
    I have 99 TR 21 with 99 Mercury 225 EFI. Running a 26 four blade trophy. 5700 RPM. 8 inch jackplate. Will check P2P. 4 group 31 batteries, 2 people, 1/2 tank fuel, live wells empty we ran 74.9 Saturday morning.

5. Member
    There are a lot of possibilities as to why you ran slower. I'm curious were your wells full or empty? Weight is defiantly going to mess with your hole shot to say the least. Weight reduction/balancing is cheap and easy place to start. When was the last time the plugs were changed on the motor?
    2004 Triton TR-186DC - Mercury 175 Optimax

6. Banned
    Have you done a compression test?

7. Member
    Motor height is dependent on which lower unit you are using.

8. Member
    It really sounds like you are down one cylinder have you checked to make sure that all six are firing