Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

favorite 16-20lb flouro??

I have been using sunline sniper in 18lb and 20lb and the memory and coiling has been bad looking for some other options without spending a bunch. Would appreciate any feedback :)
    Last edited by emccarthy; 03-23-2021 at 10:55 AM.

What technique? Casting reel, I'm assuming?

If you're having problems with the memory with Sniper, the only fluoro that's any more manageable is Tatsu. Put another way, you're not going to do any better without spending a bunch.

Line conditioner is one thing to try. I throw 18 lb Shooter on my dragging rod and have had some fights with memory. Shooter is worse than Sniper at that lb test rating, by the way. I tend to hit it with some KVD Line and Lure the night before fishing and it definitely makes a difference. I basically just tie it off to something, take off walking until I get about a cast length out, spray the spool, then reel myself in, spraying it maybe twice on the way in and once after it's all on the spool. A small bottle lasts a long time, and it's reasonable to boot. That's definitely what I'd try first.

You could try *gently* stretching it by doing the same thing I mention above and just stopping and leaning on it a little before reeling yourself back in. Just don't pull on it hard as you can fracture the line and you'll have a completely different problem. You shouldn't have any issues with line that heavy, so I suppose I mention "gently" in case someone sees that and tries it with 6 or 8 lb test. Mono, you can stretch as much as you want. Just gotta be careful with fluoro in my experience.

Past that, braid to leader is really going to be the only other solution short of going to mono or copoly. If you did the latter, you'd need to buy based on diameter as a lot of monos and copolys are thick for their rating, and even then I'm not sure you'd gain a lot. Sniper is really, really manageable for fluoro.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I haven’t used Tatsu. but the only other fluorocarbon I hold in the same regard as FC Sniper is YoZuri Top Knot in my experience. Very similar mile diameter too, which is something to consider. Sunline seems to have small diameter for its line ratings

4. Member
    If you want the most manageable fluorocarbon out there you’re going to have to pay to play. Tastu is expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion.

5. Member
    It is Sunline Sniper or Super for me. We did get a bad batch of Sniper last year which Sunline took care without issue. The replacement was great. I have played around with other brands and it just isn't worth the effort anymore. Sunline has the best stuff for me.

6. Member
    Drew has great info. 16-20# flouro is gonna be ugly to work with. Cold weather it's gonna be stiff. Lots of memory. I liked yamamoto 16# sugoi for jigging. tough line!!! Only put 20 yds on at a time. One spool last me a few years. I switched back to mono (spro g line) for most anything. I don't fish enough to justify the $$$ to spoil up flouro and have the headaches. I did have some great luck with some 12# triple fish flouro. Was on 2 reels for 5 years. Worked great. Just stripped it off last year. Caught a lot of big fish with that.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emccarthy View Post
    I have been using sunline sniper in 18lb and 20lb and the memory and coiling is has been bad
    That was my impression of Sniper as well. I switched to Invizx and has been great for me. PLine Tactical is another good one.

8. Member
    15 to 17 lb Invisx works for me ,Use line conditioner

9. Member
    I have only been using straight flouro on a few rods one I generally skip docks with and do not want a braid to flouro union knot. I have tried that gentle stretch method tied off to a fence post in the past with some success. Maybe I just got some bad spools of sniper I dunno just putting a feeler out to see what guys are using

10. Member
    Like Drew, I gently stretch my Sniper line(12, 14, 16 and 18#) before every outing. I hook the line to a nail on the fence and stretch it about 35 yards, spray it with KVD line and lure, reel it back to the fence and spray it again. Works great the next day, no coils. I also spray the line while fishing especially during the winter.

11. Member
    Definitely use line conditioner as stated above, I use it on Seaguar invisx although I never really had much of a coiling problem with invisx
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

12. Member
    As was said earlier, Tatsu is worth every penny of its' cost, and then some.

A good Copolymer works fine and still catches fish just as good, IMO. I have a reel filled with 6 lb Tatsu that's almost unused, so I'll be using that for Dropshot leaders. When it's gone, I'll change back to copolymer leader.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Member
    I used some basspro line conditioner and stretched it out a bit nite and day difference :)

Give it a good stretch and then spray down with conditioner. Works great for me on Sniper.
    USMC Vet!

16. Member
    I like 16lb sniper wind it on tight and hit with a little 303

17. Member
    A trick a friend showed me decades ago that has helped my fishing line woes was to soak the spool of line for a while in warm water right before spooling up.

I left flo last year for top mono made by Berkley called Spectra...16#...big spool, glue my knots and have been quite pleased...
    big time saver/cast saver due to much less memory...just my 2 cents

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

19. Member
    I use Sniper in 12#, 16#, and 20#. Never had a coiling issue.

20. Member
    Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast