launching 175 TXW solo - what do you do?

I bought a 175 TXW last fall and only got to take it out once before winter set in and it was with a buddy. I saw that to get the boat in the water good, the back bumper was all the way in the water with the short tongue it has. I usually fish alone and wondering what y’all do that fish solo to keep from having to wade to get in the boat. I also see that this boat will be harder to climb into ( especially at my age ) so I’ll need to put a step on the tongue. I’m an experienced boater but have only fished from 20 - 21 ft glass boats and this is a bit different. I used Liquid Rollers on my old Skeeter as it was tough to get off. Thinking I may could spay down the bunks and just get the motor in and drag it off as it worked wonders on the Skeeter. What do you solo guys do?

2. Member
    If the ramp is close to the dock, just use a rope to launch til the boat floats. Get out and pull to the dock. Sometimes I get the boat in the water and then climb into the back of the truck and then onto the boat.

3. Member
    I can probably do that at some ramps, but the one at the lake closest to me has a dock too far from the ramp. Also, I have a suv, a truck would be handy.

Take a look at the Z-Launch. From your description, it sounds as though it will work for you.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/t-h-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Use a long rope, when you un hook your boat, tie the rope to the eye and and the other end to your winch stand, leave it coiled on the front deck, back the trailer in until the boat floats, get out of your SUV and pull the boat to the shore and beach it. Park your SUV, get on the boat, walk to the back deck, the boat should float away from the shore because the added weight caused the bow to lift.

6. Member
    I use the rope & doc method too. I keep a pair of muck boots, in boat, for reloading. Sometimes, when reloading, I need to get in the water. A step is a good thing. I bought mine from BPS and it works very well. The step attaches to the vertical post of the winch mount

For your first attempts, do it with a partner in the boat. It's the best way to learn what will work for your situation
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

7. Member
    Back it in until the rear starts to float, put the truck in gear set the Ebrake, turn it off and put a chalk under the rear tire. Unhook the bow hook, climb in the boat and back it off of the trailer, tie it up and go park the truck. When retrieving it I don't back the trailer in as far so it will center up better, I come it with a good amount of speed and give it some gas to get up on the trailer, then hop out hook the winch up and crank it the rest of the way.

8. Member
    Long rope hooked to the bow eye and the winch stand, coiled on the front deck, back it in slow until it floats off the trailer and the pull up enough to get the rope off the trailer without getting your feet wet. Then just pull the boat to the bank, throw the rope up the bank, park the vehicle and go back and remove the rope, step in the boat and your done. I load with the bumper just close enough to the water I can climb out and hook the strap, never get wet that way.....

9. Member
    Thanks, Looks like the rope method is what works for most. One more question: I always had a keel guard on my glass boats and would have no problem beaching on the ramp after taking it off the trailer. Is it ok to gently beach a metal boat on the ramp / concrete? I’ve never seen a keel guard on a metal boat.

10. Member
    No problem doing that with an aluminum boat, I do it all the time, they can take more abuse than a fiberglass one.

11. Member
    I made my own elastic launch rope with a nylon tubular cover. I also have a rubber keel guard. I pull the trailer up and beach the boat on the ramp. I click the Talon footswitch, unhook the elastic launching cord and park the trailer. This is probably cheating. It's pretty easy. I'll drag the boat off to the side if the ramp is busy.
    2021 Gator Trax 21' Strike Series
    Mercury 250 ProXS #3B134663

12. Member
    I don’t have a Talon on this boat, I had 2 on every boat I had since they came out. Man, I miss them. I have a 60hp on this boat, maybe I’ll have room for a Raptor, I’m worried Talons might be a little heavy for this boat.

13. Member
    I wade personally since I launch almost every time solo. I just put some tennis shoes in the boat and wear muck boots outside it. Doing anything fancy just bugged me. Worked well for me and my 175.
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

14. Banned
    I never get wet launching and loading solo. Don't understand why guys get in the water. Launch rope with large clip or caribiner. Hook to one of front cleats or bow eye. Attach other part of rope to tie down in bed or hold rope out window and let it feed. Back in till boat floats off pull forward a bit then pull boat to bank or to dock. Very quick and easy. I can be in the water solo in probably 5 minutes and that includes unhooking the transom straps motor toter etc.. don't make it a project

15. Member
    I do not have a 175 but I drive mine off the trailer and dock it. I think it takes 5 minutes max from getting out of the truck to driving on the lake unless the parking lot is a crap show.

I use a long rope. Launching is not an issue, no wet feet. Loading when the water is cold I use hip boots. Most lakes here in NJ you can't use the big motor so no power loading. I have a trolling motor on the transom for the electric only lakes so it helps when loading but I'm still getting out and cranking it in.

You can put a keel guard on an aluminum hull. You may end up with a gap at the bow where the "seam" is at the center of the hull. If so, just fill the gap with marine goop or 3m 4200 and beach away.