Props on New Merc 225 Pro XS 4-stroke Motor

Finally got around to testing some props on the new Merc 225 Pro XS 4-stroke motor I put on my Z19 after the old Merc 225 Pro XS 2-stroke motor quit on me. Made 3 runs with each of these props: B&B'd 23 Fury 3 blade (1 PVS plug), Tempest 23P (2 plugs) and the B&B'd Tempest 25P (2 plugs) that I had on my old motor. Full fuel (to start), two guys (~400#), usual tackle.

23 Fury - Very impressive hole shot, top speed 68.2 (GPS), RPMs 6063 (avg of 3 runs).

23 Tempest - OK hole shot, a little blowout coming up on plane, top speed 64.8 (GPS), RPMs 6125 avg of 3.

25 Tempest - Not so great hole shot, some blowout, top speed 68.7 (GPS), RPMs 5800 avg of 3.

Mark recommended the 23 Tempest for bow lift advantage over the Fury so I went out and bought one. Wish now, I'd bought a 23 Fury instead. Really don't think B&Bing the 23 Tempest will improve it so much it will match the performance of the Fury.

What do you guys think?

2. Member
    I have had quite a few Fury 3’s, Tempest Plus, Tempest A-45’s and Trophys all worked by Mark. Most of my Fury’s ran good out of the box, improvements were negligible and probably the most gains I have seen were maybe 1-2 mph. On the other hand, Tempest Plus and A-45’s I saw big improvements 3-4 mph. In addition, my Trophy's saw big gains bout the same as the Tempest props. Each prop is different even if they are supposed to be identical. Some come brand new straight out of the box out of pitch and balance. Best to find one that you like the way it runs then send it to Mark. I know a lot of people on the forum like the Bravo series but I have never run one but I want too! I do know this, my Puma with a 250 4-stroke really liked my worked 25P Trophy. It came out of the hole really well no matter how heavily loaded and the top end was decent around 75 mph, problem is I was turning too many rpms. Now I’m running a 25P Fury 3 blade. I’m not really sure how fast it will go but I’m guessing around 77. I’ve got several props that I need to go run I just haven’t had time. Lately if I’m lucky enough to get to go to the lake I want to fish not fool with props!

3. Member
    Where did the 23 tempest come from?
    Was it in great shape?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    Where did the 23 tempest come from?
    Was it in great shape?
    It was a used prop but in very good condition. Not B&B'd though.

5. Member
    R your rpms read from a merc smart guage??

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    R your rpms read from a merc smart guage??
    RPMs were read from a new MercMonitor that was installed when they put on the new 4-stroke motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Finally got around to testing some props on the new Merc 225 Pro XS 4-stroke motor I put on my Z19 after the old Merc 225 Pro XS 2-stroke motor quit on me. Made 3 runs with each of these props: B&B'd 23 Fury 3 blade (1 PVS plug), Tempest 23P (2 plugs) and the B&B'd Tempest 25P (2 plugs) that I had on my old motor. Full fuel (to start), two guys (~400#), usual tackle.

23 Fury - Very impressive hole shot, top speed 68.2 (GPS), RPMs 6063 (avg of 3 runs).

23 Tempest - OK hole shot, a little blowout coming up on plane, top speed 64.8 (GPS), RPMs 6125 avg of 3.

25 Tempest - Not so great hole shot, some blowout, top speed 68.7 (GPS), RPMs 5800 avg of 3.

Mark recommended the 23 Tempest for bow lift advantage over the Fury so I went out and bought one. Wish now, I'd bought a 23 Fury instead. Really don't think B&Bing the 23 Tempest will improve it so much it will match the performance of the Fury.

What do you guys think?
    Sell the 2 props you don’t like and buy a Bravo 1 FS 25 pitch. If the 23 fury turns well on your boat, this will give boat better hole shot, control, acceleration, and overall boat lift (bow and stern). Might lose a little top end, but in rough water, boat will ride nice on top. I have never been able to drive so fast in rough water until I got my Bravo 1 FS.