Banned

"level wound" Flourocarbon

It's my understanding SEaguar no longer fill spools using their level wind technique. I feel this is very important with flouro as its very sensitive to kinks.

What brands use fill their spools this way?

If I can't find one that's reasonable, I might have to go back to Trilene XT!

I thought that Seaguar still did it with Tatsu, though maybe they gave that up as well. I know that Sunline spools their Shooter that way.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Never felt it made a difference to me, new or old spool versions.

4. Banned
    I can't justify Shooter/Tatsu as far as cost. In fact, I tried both several years ago and didn't care for it.
    Probably confidence thing for as I tried a few brands that were all crisscrossed on the spool and they lasted about an hour before I stripped it off.
    I know, I know, once its on my reel, its crisscrossed....I know.
    XT caught alot of fish over the years. My just go old school.

I agree that I've never found it to make a difference. I use Sniper for just about everything where I use fluoro--my dragging rod that gets 18lb Shooter being the exception--and I've yet to have a single issue with it that wasn't self inflicted (i.e., blowing up my reel, being impatient getting the backlash out, then sending a bait flying off into oblivion when it later breaks inside my spool). That said, I'm assuming the reason the level wind is restricted to the highest cost lines is that it's more expensive to spool up that way.

The only thing I'll say about Trilene XT is to watch line diameter. They rate it in a way that makes it seem like it's a whole lot stronger and tougher than it really is if you're comparing apples to apples. 8 lb is 0.01 mm larger in diameter than Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb, and 12 lb XT is 0.01 mm larger than Sunline and Seaguar 20 lb. That last one is particularly eye opening: The diameter of stuff that people pitch and flip with is actually smaller than 12 lb XT. Just one more example of needing to be very careful comparing lines by lb test rating.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I agree that I've never found it to make a difference. I use Sniper for just about everything where I use fluoro--my dragging rod that gets 18lb Shooter being the exception--and I've yet to have a single issue with it that wasn't self inflicted (i.e., blowing up my reel, being impatient getting the backlash out, then sending a bait flying off into oblivion when it later breaks inside my spool). That said, I'm assuming the reason the level wind is restricted to the highest cost lines is that it's more expensive to spool up that way.

The only thing I'll say about Trilene XT is to watch line diameter. They rate it in a way that makes it seem like it's a whole lot stronger and tougher than it really is if you're comparing apples to apples. 8 lb is 0.01 mm larger in diameter than Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb, and 12 lb XT is 0.01 mm larger than Sunline and Seaguar 20 lb. That last one is particularly eye opening: The diameter of stuff that people pitch and flip with is actually smaller than 12 lb XT. Just one more example of needing to be very careful comparing lines by lb test rating.
    Just had this talk with a friend that throws what he thinks is 8# Izorline XXX Super Co on Jerks, the actual diameter is .011.

Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    Just had this talk with a friend that throws what he thinks is 8# Izorline XXX Super Co on Jerks, the actual diameter is .011.
    Nah, he's throwing 12 lb!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

the 200yd spools of invisx and tatsu I ordered a month or so ago were level wound. Last year is when they stopped level winding the bulk spools.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

9. Member
    Drew, why do you use Shooter for dragging instead of Sniper?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 4 Fun Txn View Post
    Drew, why do you use Shooter for dragging instead of Sniper?
    It's tougher, and maybe a touch more sensitive. But the primary thing is I want the extra abrasion resistance when I'm dragging football jigs, C Rigs, etc. through rocks, zebra mussels, etc. Sniper handles better, but the Shooter is tougher.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"