Boat trailer brakes

Why do my brakes on my trailer try to lock up when the shoes are wet? When they are dry they are all right but when wet they lock up and unlock on and off but when they dry off they work fine everything was new a couple of years ago the brakes are set pretty loose as in not hardly any drag when you spin the wheel. Are they set to loose is that my problem ?

2. Member
    Are they drum brakes? If so, they are most likely swelling up when wet. Could also be from a leaking wheel cylinder. After being used a few times they dry out and work ok. Change the shoes and drums.

3. Member
    Well they do it every time I put it in the water but after I pull it awhile they work fine.

4. Member
    Yes they are drum brakes

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Do you ever back up other than when launching? I’m wondering if it’s backing rather than being wet that triggers the problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    No not usually I load and take off and when I hit the brakes it wants to lock up till I pull them far enough to get them dry then they are fine

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bites View Post
    No not usually I load and take off and when I hit the brakes it wants to lock up till I pull them far enough to get them dry then they are fine
    I’m just wondering if backing is causing the actuator to stick and not extend fully until you drive a while. Wet brakes locking up seems really odd.
    nothing else matters.​

Just a thought--------
    Since there drum brakes I'm going to presume there activated by 12 volts.. Is it possible for the system to be going full on anytime the brakes are applied and its still WET ?? (a short)

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Just a thought--------
    Since there drum brakes I'm going to presume there activated by 12 volts.. Is it possible for the system to be going full on anytime the brakes are applied and its still WET ?? (a short)
    I’d be surprised if they are electric, but assuming they aren’t would be a mistake.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’d be surprised if they are electric, but assuming they aren’t would be a mistake.
    Unless there electric over hydraulic. How else would drum brakes on a trailer activate ? At least thats how the only ones I ever had worked. Were Ok on anything but a boat.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Unless there electric over hydraulic. How else would drum brakes on a trailer activate ? At least thats how the only ones I ever had worked. Were Ok on anything but a boat.
    Boat trailer drums are usually hydraulic surge brakes. Wheel cylinders just like on a car.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Boat trailer drums are usually hydraulic surge brakes. Wheel cylinders just like on a car.
    not the ones I had... they were a PIA-------- electricity and water didn't mix well in that application.. had to add the electric actuator on tow vehicle just to use them. luckily already had that for horse trailer.

13. Member
    I have had boat trailers with drum brakes that were surge. From what a buddy of mine just told me, he is buying a new trailer for his boat and it comes with electric brakes that ARE submersible! I had never heard of that before?

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    I have had boat trailers with drum brakes that were surge. From what a buddy of mine just told me, he is buying a new trailer for his boat and it comes with electric brakes that ARE submersible! I had never heard of that before?
    Electric brakes don’t really care if they get wet. Water, particularly fresh water, barely conducts electricity and at 12V there would be no issues with occasional short-term immersion.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    I have electric drum on my trailer and they never lock when wet that I know of. I do unplug them before launching because without the boat on the trailer the brakes will slide the tires if used. I also lay my foot on the brakes leaving the parking lot after loading to help dry the brakes quicker but they still don't lock up. You may need to check the settings on your brake controller it may be set a little high.
    Rocket

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bites View Post
    Yes they are drum brakes
    Are they surge Hydraulic drum brakes?
    How did you do the initial set up?
    The brakes would need to be full on before you set up your lock up point. I set my tight when full on and back them up 7 notches at the adjuster, and seem to work fine for me.
    BTW, make sure that you got all the air out of the system.
    Last edited by digthemup; 03-28-2021 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling