Comfy life jacket ?

Looking for suggestions on the most comfortable life jacket to wear while in the boat. As I get a bit older I am starting to be more concerned how I would do if for whatever reason I did exit the boat unexpectedly while alone. I fish by myself a lot of the time, and the days of when if I could see bank I knew I could swim to it are over. I’m looking for a life jacket I can just put on when I get in the boat and leave it on all day, right now I have a life jacket that I thought I would put on while on plane but it’s not very comfortable so I just let it lay there in the storage department. Plus the more I read, I realize accidents can happen not only while on plane. I nearly flipped myself out of the boat just by turning on my trolling motor with unexpectedly wrong speed and direction - nearly went over. I don’t really trust the auto inflate jackets, I know they’re probably the most comfortable but are there any other suggestions, thanks in advance.

If possible go to a large sporting goods store and try a variety of vests. The vest i use most is a ski vest. It has fairly large arm openings, and fits snug. Will also give some impact protection if needed. Some of the vests designed for kayaks will provide much more arm movement. There are also vests that will provide high impact protection and feature face up flotation. A lot depends on your size and build. That's why I suggest to try on as many different types as you can and find what fits you and your requirements.

The auto-inflate jackets are hands down the most comfortable because they're the smallest. However, if you don't trust them, Mustang is now making a hybrid foam/CO2 jacket that gets great reviews for comfort:

https://mustangsurvival.com/collecti...ion-pfd-md7183

4. Member
    I have been wearing this style Mesh fishing life vest for about 8 years now, ever since my son and I started bass boat fishing and upgraded from row boat fishing. He wears a similar mesh life vest. They are the best for layering cloths under it when cold and just wearing the life vest over a t-shirt when it is hot out. We wear them as soon as we get in the boat until we get off the boat. I have fallen out of the boat trying to grab something I dropped in the water and was glad I had it on. Also clip the motor tether right to the life vest D-ring too.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...dltlmntnglrpas

Similar style
    https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Comfo...6510189&sr=8-1
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom

I can't stand wearing a vest fishing. However, in the colder months I will wear my inflatable if I'm out by myself. A good inflatable is going to be the most comfortable. Even if you revert back to a vest while moving at speed.

6. Member
    I use an A/M 33 vest. It does not bother me while fishing and I know that if something happens then it will deploy. I think Bass Pro has them on sale right now for $120. I also have a regular vest on the boat for myself and I keep an extra A/M just incase somebody decides to go fishing with me.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...vest-100180327

People feel that the inflatables won’t work. There are many examples of that. However there are many more examples of drownings with no PFD at all. I wear my Onyx the entire time as does my wife. 40* or 100*. Doesn’t bother me a bit. That $500 200MPH rated foam jacket laying in the driver’s seat is as helpful as an anchor if you’re by yourself. If you’re serious about it, go try on vests at a shop to get one that’s comfortable for driving. Then switch out when you step up on the deck. Takes less than 20 seconds.

8. Member
    My Mustang HIT is pretty comfortable, don't know about the most comfortable one.

9. Member
    Most any vest is more comfortable than being 20 yards from your boat in 40 degree water. I say it's easier to find the corpse in an inflatable.

The most comfortable full size conventional vest I have found is the BPS XPS Platinum. The reason is that they cut the foam into many different size pieces and sew each into a separate pocket so the vest has seams that can easily flex and bend between the individual foam pieces. These vests also have crotch straps that will keep it on and not pulled over your head in a high speed ejection. But you are not going to forget you have it on. No full size conventional vest are you going to put on and forget about in my opinion. So I bought a little manual Mustang M.I.T. 70 to wear while fishing. This you truly can forget you have it on and will wear it. Since it is manual, I feel if I find myself falling out it gives me the choice to pull the cord if I find I need some assistance. Yes there is the slight possibility of being unconscious but that should be rare just falling overboard. Also since it is so small and manual only, I leave it on and put the Platinum on over it when I run from location to location. I know that practice has not been studied but I feel for myself since I am using a manual only vest it is something that works for me. but switching vests could easily be done by anyone who didn't want to wear one over the other.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    The most comfortable full size conventional vest I have found is the BPS XPS Platinum. The reason is that they cut the foam into many different size pieces and sew each into a separate pocket so the vest has seams that can easily flex and bend between the individual foam pieces. These vests also have crotch straps that will keep it on and not pulled over your head in a high speed ejection.
    I own three of these, and love them! They are on sale right now for $49.97 ($20 off)

12. Banned
    I'm 75 and have the same concerns about stability as other here mentioned. I've tried but just couldn't get comfortable wearing a typical PFD inflatable or standard and therefore I wouldn't wear one. Just recently while in Florida I bought a "belt" type inflatable floatation device(at BPS) and I love it. I've gotten in the truck at the end of the day and found I still had it on. They don't do any good if we won't wear them. I think it was $69 on sale. Worth a look.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    In NY we have to be wearing one while fishing from November 1st to May 1st I wear the belt pack inflatable satisfies the law and I dont even know I have it on , when underway I have the inflatable mustang and or I have the Bass pro xps platinum reg vest. it is the most comfortable actual life jack I have ever worn. well worth every bit of the sale price.

14. Member
    I have the Onyx Inflatable and the BassPro XPS platinum. Use the Onyx while fishing by myself and use the XPS when running in rough water or for long runs. Both are comfortable as any I have ever owned.

15. Member
    The only decently comfortable life vest will be inflatable. I wear a Mustang Elite all day long. If you do not want an inflatable, then IMO, if safety is your biggest concern, then a SARS vest is the way to go. Mustang and Kent both make one. I don't think any standard vest is going to be much more comfortable than the next one.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S