XB 2002 set up questions?

I’ve owned a couple Bullets and a XB21 but just bought my 1st XB 2002 So I’m going to have ALOT of questions so feel free to offer any advice you feel will help shorten the learning curve. I did not buy it to be a all out race boat. I want it to be quick and run decent on the big end but I think the 2002 will take care of both of those pretty easy. My main goal is to be able to fish out of it with no big issues. I’m probably going to try to find me a cheap 225 Promax to start with if that’s possible.
    But I have a few questions and yes I know every setup is different!
    1) I have had a 250xs and a couple 300xs but I have heard the 2002 has may few issues with the weight of the 3L Mercs? So should I stay with the 2.5 or could I go with the 3.2 for reliable and fuel consumption?
    2) What setback do most 2002 run with the 225 Promax? The boat came with a 6” manual?
    3) if I stick with the 225 what prop are most running? 3 or 4 blades? I ran 4 blades on my other Allison and Bullets.
    4)The boat is a 1993 but is super clean and doesn’t look like it’s had a ruff life. So my question is if I decide to go with a 3.2 would the transom handle that kind of weight if I kept it close to the boat on the 6” jackplate?
    5) Can I install a recessed foot peddle holder on the deck of the 2002 or will it make it weaker and cause me problems. I’m a pretty big guy at 240lbs.

Im sorry for all the questions but I’m sure I will have a lot more as yall help me with my new project. Thanks in advance Hubert
    Last edited by hubert davis; 03-20-2021 at 04:18 PM.

2. Member
    A 225 Pro Max 2.5 is the perfect engine for this boat and the steel reinforced transom can handle the weight. I would use a 10" Rapid Jack plate. You will get good results with Tempest Plus, Trophy, Bravo XS, or several other props in the 28-29
    pitch range.

My first Allison was an XB2002 with a 2.5L 200 Mercury and I ran a 28" Chopper on it. Lots of rpms on the holeshot but top end was great. My other Allison was an XB2003 with 2.5L 225 Pro Max and it would run 88 mph with a tournament load 27" Tempest 14" Allison jackplate. I liked it much better than the 2002 due to being more stable while fishing. Both will be more tippy tnan a wider, heavier boat but you know that based on your previous boats.

Had a Bullet 20 XD and a 21 XD. Both were better fishing platforms but the Ally's were faster. Both Bullets had 2.5 EFI Merc on them and all 4 had low water pickup lower units. My favorite was the Sportmaster on the Pro Max.

I hope you enjoy your XB 2002. I was tempted to get another Allison before buying my current boat but old age made me want a wider boat. I still miss the exhilaration of hanging out a Bullet or Allison though..
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Do not try to put heavy engine on her. 2.5 Merc for sure. Three blade props, 28 pitch ok, for me I would like a 26 a little better just for acceleration, but to each his own. 10-12” set back. Sportsmaster LU. Start out 1/4” below pad for engine height. Make sure you know how to measure engine height. Do you have power steering? You are most likely going to need it! Try without cutting trolling motor recessed petal. You might be ok with it. Had em for over 20 years. Drag raced for many years. Running one now for fun and fishin with my 280. You are going to have to learn how to drive her. All new. Take your time. Run with just a little trim up to 70. Bump the trim and feel her pop up on pad. Now a little more gas and a little more trim. Enjoy man. NOTHING LIKE IT

4. Member
    Thanks for the information guys.
    yes it has hydraulic steering. I have a 26p turned up to a 27p 3 blade chopper supposed to be Allison cut I can try. It has a CLE lower

How do u like fishing out of the 280? Do u have any issues idling around looking for fish on your electronics ? Fowling plugs? Over heating?

5. Member
    One of my Mercury 200 EFI 2.5 engines had a CLE lower unit. It was slower than a Bob's or Sportmaster. Sportmaster is the way to go.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    The 280 doesn’t work well idling around that’s for sure. I don’t do much of that. I don’t like the cle lower unit at all to say the least. They have way to much rear end lift. Even coned they would cause my 03 and 02s to lift the back of the boat so high it would blow the prop out!! One thing to remember is Allison’s run flat, not nose high like other boats. You don’t need a lot of trim once on plane.

have fun be safe

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCHER View Post
    The 280 doesn’t work well idling around that’s for sure. I don’t do much of that. I don’t like the cle lower unit at all to say the least. They have way to much rear end lift. Even coned they would cause my 03 and 02s to lift the back of the boat so high it would blow the prop out!! One thing to remember is Allison’s run flat, not nose high like other boats. You don’t need a lot of trim once on plane.

have fun be safe
    Interesting............I had a 280 for quite a few years and always idled perfectly and for long distance as well.

8. Member
    Stay with the 2.5. The 02's i have owned really liked 12" back. I put the nose cone just a little above the pad. Not problem with the fishing either. Hammer On It :)

9. Member
    Thanks guy for the help. I ended up going with a 225X W/sport master I e only had it out 2 times but loved it. Lower unit is in the shop right now. Can’t wait to get it back and start playing with different props.