Dependent Health Care

So I have a daughter who will turn 21 in September. She graduated cosmetology school last year, and passed her state boards just in time for COVID to shut everything down.

She did get a job, but it was only part time. Just enough to fail the earnings test to claim as a dependent. She’s starting a new job, where she will probably earn about 24k this year, and a living wage the following.

Very few cosmetology jobs offer health care benefits.

She’s currently covered by TRICARE, but will be off at 21. Right now, I’m looking at TRICARE Young Adult. Which is 250-350 a month depending on the plan.

I’m looking for information on other options. Like the affordable care act plans. I should know more, but I’ve never had to worry about it. 24 years Army and 14 years retired. Have no idea what people pay in the civilian world. Pretty sure it’s expensive and that I’m in for a rude awakening.

If she could get decent coverage through the marketplace that’s cheaper than TRICARE, I’d like to know about it.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

Have not helped anyone with the "market place," but several with Tricare Young Adult. Unless she's able to find a "group" plan, I suspect Tricare Young Adult will be the least expensive option at least for awhile. If anyone else has used the ACA I would love to hear your experiences as well.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    Getting booted off Tri-Care should be a reason to sign up for ACA.

https://www.healthcare.gov/apply-and...ator-overview/

You should be able to get an idea from this page. Rates can vary!!!! Looking at the "all in amount" on someone self employed can make your eyes pop out. The last one I ran was 25,000 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Have not helped anyone with the "market place," but several with Tricare Young Adult. Unless she's able to find a "group" plan, I suspect Tricare Young Adult will be the least expensive option at least for awhile. If anyone else has used the ACA I would love to hear your experiences as well.
    at 24k a year she will get a subsidy and likely not pay much of anything on an ACA plan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    at 24k a year she will get a subsidy and likely not pay much of anything on an ACA plan.
    What kind of coverage is that? I'm totally clueless on "market place" plans. Something along the lines of a 70/30 plan? Typical co-pays and caps?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin