Thread: Tokyo rig

Tokyo rig

Who has had success using this rig..i've tried but gain any confidence in this bait

It looks like a real short DS rig to me. I don't see the point, except another marketing deal to separate us from our $.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

3. Member
    It gives the bait way more freedom to move than a drop shot. They work and no reason to buy them. to easy to make

4. Member
    too much apparatus or BS around the bait for my liking, I'm sure you can catch some fish with it in weedy or stained water lakes, but there are better options
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

I've had luck flipping (pitching) milfoil with it. Seems like fish either want a traditional jig/Texas rig (punch rig) or the Tokyo rig. The times where it's really shined is when I've found a general area that has them, gone through and caught what I could with a jig or punch rig, then gone back with a Tokyo rig and picked off several more. Being stiff between the weight(s) and hook, it goes into the grass better than a power shot. Hook up ratio and landing percentage is very high as well, I think due to not having a big weight/jighead in the way to blow their mouth open when you set the hook, and due to the separation between the weight removing in-line leverage they can use to throw a hook. I'd still rather throw a punch rig as it just goes through a lot cleaner, but it definitely has its place. Two weights 1/2 the weight you want instead of 1 weight seems to come through better, for whatever that's worth. For me, that's usually two 3/8 instead of one 3/4 oz.

I've also had luck fishing it through rocks like a swing head (Biffle bug).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    I had pretty good luck on very clear (14+) to moderately clear lakes last year. I mostly fished it with about 1/2 or just under of weight on it with a larger craw or creature bait, using the VMC model with a larger EWG hook. Had good luck flipping to deep weedlines and rock points last summer. I didnt' throw it into too thick of stuff to be honest. I would say it was probably one of my top 3 combos I caught fish on last year. With a 1/2oz jig as the #1.
    I think of it as just a different look. Fish see drop shots, jigs etc every day of the week. I fished it very similar to a 1/2 oz jig. I really like how it keeps the bait up out of the muck and slime on the bottom.

As a side note I have been finding the VMC ones on clearance at Dicks up here in MN.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

7. Member
    Pretty handy in the lily pads. You can use lighter weights and still get thru thick cover. The weight goes thru and then pulls the rest with it. Very easy to build if you are into that sort of thing. We had good luck with them using the Zman stuff for smallmouth. It is weird that when they are biting the Tokyo rig they are biting it. Usually don't get the one here one there bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    It looks like a real short DS rig to me. I don't see the point, except another marketing deal to separate us from our $.
    agree, its a marketing ploy. same with the loolipop rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Chato View Post
    Who has had success using this rig..i've tried but gain any confidence in this bait
    The only advantage of the Tokyo Rig is in punching where you want the bait above the weight and a little off the bottom. No advantage in open water, with all the metal hardware, compared to the drop shot. You can punch with a drop shot with braid and get the Tokyo Rig set up with a little ingenuity.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS