Question Used Talon Questions

I'm new to Talons so hopefully some of you can help me out. I have an opportunity to buy a set of 12ft Talons with jackplate mounts and tilt brackets, they are NON bluetooth models, functioning properly. FYI: I currently run a couple helix units and an ultrex all networked on a hub.
    First of all, would you buy them since they are non bluetooth (older gen), or will they be fine w my system, are there known issues with these or not.

Second, will they be really heavy on my boat (Triton 186 - 150hp), how much weight will it add?

Third: What would you pay for 2 used non bluetooth 12 ft Talons with the jack mounts and tilt brackets? Wondering if his price is right or not.

My other option is to buy one, new 10ft Raptor.
    I use spotlock all the time on my ultrex, so i thought i would use a shallow h20 anchor quite a bit and save battery.

Suggestions please and thanks.

2. Member
    I would shy away from the Talons. Are they Gen 1 or 2. Motor is on top for Gen 1. If Gen 1 a lot of parts are obsolete. Main parts, board and motor. Gen 2 all parts are available.
    Pull the trigger on the Raptors.

3. Member
    i appreciate your input Bradrodfish.

4. Member
    A great boat but with a 150, you may notice a drop in holeshot etc with those bigger dual talons. I'd suggest the Raptor or smaller Talons.

I run dual 10's (Talons) on my 21 footer with 250 and there's next to no difference in holeshot but my rig carries the added weight differently. Regardless of brand or model, the wind drag at WOT can make a change there.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

I run 2 8 ft talons on my 21 footer and have no problems with them. They are the old obsolete, no value talons now, non bluetooth ones. I have some friends that have the bluetooth models and seem to have problems with dropping the bluetooth signal. I've heard this is sometimes caused if you're a running other things on bluetooth also. I ran power poles prior to these and liked them, had no problem with them. Can't say about the new power poles (raptors) as no experience with them. All have one purpose.....shallow water anchors. Just depends on what you're looking for. I think all are reliable. If you're looking for speed, go with the lightest, seems that's what most of the guys here look for.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJDESIGN View Post
    i appreciate your input Bradrodfish.

Also I need to correct myself. I should have been a little more direct. I would shy away from the Gen 1 Talons simply simply for the fact of parts availability for the Gen 1. Gen 2 and 3 are acceptable for Shallow water anchors. I just purchased a 8' Raptor. I will report when I get it mounted and set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post

Also I need to correct myself. I should have been a little more direct. I would shy away from the Gen 1 Talons simply simply for the fact of parts availability for the Gen 1. Gen 2 and 3 are acceptable for Shallow water anchors. I just purchased a 8' Raptor. I will report when I get it mounted and set up.
    Only one raptor? Maybe will change to raptors if one will hold pretty good. Maybe all you might need with spot lock. Let me know how it works.
    Thanks
    Last edited by tracer1; 03-21-2021 at 01:03 PM.

8. Member
    I have a boat of similar size (Champion 187 with a 175). I have 2 12' Bluetooth Talons. I wanted 10's but when I was ready to buy, it was actually cheaper to get 12s because Minn Kota was running a promotion on the 12 and 15'.
    First off, they didn't make a 12' Gen1 talon. Gen2 is when they brought out the 12' with the 3 stage deployment (the first gen were all 2 stage).
    So these will be Gen2s. Most of the horror stories you've heard about Talons are with the Gen1 2 stage models with the motor and control unit at the top.
    Being that they are gen2s, I'd say $1500-2000 would be a good price for the package.
    You won't have the controls over them like the gen3s, but they will still work.

As for your boat, you will absolutely know they are back there. Running the same prop, I lost about 5mph top end and a little holeshot when I added mine.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

My talons are the gen 1. I've heard of stories about them but can't say anything bad about mine. I flush mine out after each use & keep the rollers lubricated. They have been flawless since day 1, never a hiccup with them. Only thing that I would look at a raptor is because of the pricing. Power poles have proven themselves & have great customer service. Can't say that about the raptors & Minn Kota customer service yet. Hopefully they will be good also.

Talons are heavy. I lost 3 mph adding 1 8ft talon on my boat, and i have a smaller boat with a 150. Cant imagine adding 2 twelve footers.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Yeah, they are heavy but most guys don't think about the whole picture. Put 4 31 type batteries (roughly 67.5 lbs each), 4 bank charger (30 lbs), spare prop (use you own weight), 2 20 lbs anchors (1 will not hold a 21 foot boat), and if you have a 2 stroke motor (oil tank with 2.5 gals of oil), then 2 power pole pumps (just guessing - 2 to 3 lbs maybe). So when I installed my talons, I tried to lighten the load. I have 3 27 type batteries (63 lbs each)( one optima cranking 54 lbs), 4 bank charger (now 17 lbs), No anchors in compartments ( 40 lbs less), spare prop in front compartment, 4 stroke motor ( no oil tank), and no power pole pumps ( which aren't that much weight anyway). And you can also change to Lithium batteries. So I had dual power poles (2 8 footers) and the double brackets before the talons. These were the low grade ( can't say cheap, probably get yelled at) Sportsman II, which I liked. They were lighter than the blades but, OMG, about 3 seconds slower, didn't have the holes in the cover for aerodynamics at 100 mph but still liked them. Anyway the lengthy point I'm trying to make is everything is relative. Just depends on what you want, how much money you have, how fast you want to go. I don't and won't bash the poles, talons, or raptors, I think they are all good & serve their purpose. I hope the raptors do well and think it's great to have another choice. When my talons die, who knows, may get the poles or raptors (or talons again). Never say never. Sorry for the length.

12. Member
    I have 2 12' Talons on my 2006 TR-186 with a 150. As mentioned above the added weight did cause a drop of 2-3 MPH for me. I also had difficulty with holeshot due to the extra weight. I then added a hydrofoil (whake tail) to the motor and that addressed the holeshot issue. For me, having the Talons was worth it. Looking to order a new boat and will be switching to Power Poles only because they will network with my Lowrance electronics on the boat and I want to be able to network everything on the boat (Lives, Ghost and Powerpoles).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Only one raptor? Maybe will change to raptors if one will hold pretty good. Maybe all you might need with spot lock. Let me know how it works.
    Thanks
    Im hoping this works out, I'll post when it's been tested.

14. Member
    Thanks to everyone who replied, BBC is truly the best group of people.

15. Member
    Probably 12 to $1500 for the pair as described. I have 2 12's and they changed the wayI fish.

16. Member
    A little late to the party here but I love my dual 12 ft talons on the back of my 18' Ranger I have with a 150. They def slow me down on the top end (about 5mph guessing). I also did a hydrofoil for better hole shot and planing at lower speeds. Luckily I haven't had any of the talon issues with mine. I might go with power poles next time around but hope that these last me a long time. I just wonder why Minn Kota brought out the raptors. Are talons on there way out? Only time will tell.
    Last edited by rangerguy35; 04-04-2021 at 07:35 AM.

I'm sure they will discontinue them......I have a set. lol

Anybody know how to replace the 2nd and 3rd stage latch on a 12’ 2014 talon?
    96’ stratus 268
    Honda BF130
    Minn kota 36v 112lb thrust
    Dual ONIX 10si touch Ethernet together
    Dual Minn kota 12’ talons