Old Hickory Lake - need a little help

Ok first of all, my first time to fish old hickory was yesterday and I hit the struggle bus all day. Fished shallow most of the day. 3-8’. I targeted grass and rock. Nothing. Only 3 bites. Water temperature was anywhere from 51-58. Fished shakeyhead, chatterbait, jig, drop shot, traps. Nothing.

any advice on where to go and what to target? Lures of choice? Lake looks similar to guntersville but I wasn’t sure to fish the ledges or shallow ledge banks. I stayed in creeks and pockets all day.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated!

That sounds like Old Stickory

I haven't been out yet this year, unfortunately, but my go-to is usually either a Red-eye Shad or shallow crank and cover water until you find some fish. Don't be afraid to fish shallow either - some folks would call 3' deep on Old Hick. Stay in the creeks and larger pockets as the water will be warmer than the main channel. Cedar Creek, Cages Bend or Station Camp would probably be my starting point. Further up river there's Barton, Spring and Bledsoe, but I never get up that way much. Water will be warmer, but also busier this time of year to. I'd be targeting rock, wood and any grass/weed I could find.

Bass on the Hick seem to like smaller lures to. Fish will also move around a LOT. Productive spot today may not give you a single bite tomorrow. Many times this lake will make you question your skills as a bass fisherman

3. Member
    I have not been out this year. I do agree with the above. Also try spencer creek. It seems to clear a little better than some others and has more rock. Be very careful when leaving main channel heading into creeks. Some are very narrow going in but open nicely.
    May also try shad rap this time of year. Rumor from the weekend was Spinnerbaits. Good luck to you.

4. Member
    So we went out earlier in the week and struggled in station, spencer, and cages bend. We fished all day Tuesday and not one fish.

I appreciate the help and guidance. Switched up something’s yesterday. Downsized some lures and some methods. Had a spinnerbait bite early and caught a few more later before the gale force winds came in. 15-20 mph winds. We finished up at noon. My first trip up to old stingy, fished 1 day and a half, and caught 3 bass. Not sure what I could have done different but to me it felt like I was a little early on the shallow bite. Probably should have stayed on the channels, scanning for fish / structure and fishing a little deeper. Probably a DT 10 drop shot Carolina rig approach would have been better than beating the banks in the shallows.

my next trip will be the last weekend in April. Would appreciate any tips for that time of year. That may actually be better timing for the approach I had this week. Hit those creeks and add in main river pockets. Really appreciate all the help and advice.

5. Member
    I wish I could offer something to hang your hat on but that lake has my number. Late April there will definitely be a shallow water bite. May also be some out a bit deeper. As earlier noted downsizing seems to help. It's time for me to start fishing there but I struggle there also. Hard to not go into panic mode. A couple coves downstream from Flipper's on the other side can produce in the early spring. Be safe.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    The Cumberland below the dam has gotten significantly tougher in the last 3 years - the last 16 months, it has changed drastically. One might guess the same is happening on Old Hickory.

Along with Carp now covering the shallows everywhere you look, the pressure on the lakes the last 12 months has been outrageous. I think that combo has hit the cumberland/old hickory worse than lakes that don't have a carp problem.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

7. Member
    Does anyone know the current water conditions on Old Hickory? I’ve got drill this weekend in Nashville and headed to the lake Sunday afternoon.

8. Member
    Water is anywhere from 56 to 64 degrees. Some discoloration but the bite is getting better.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    I fished Old Stickory today, 55 degrees in the am and about 61 at noon. I was fishing coves above 109. Spinnerbaits is where it was today.

LOTS of stuff still floating in the channel. Be careful and have fun.

10. Member
    Good deal. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I’ll have good report to send back.

11. Member
    I was up that way Friday also. Too bad I didn't see you. Black /blue jig worked for me.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. Member
    Well we ended up fishing a few hours around the Drake’s Creek area and caught 5 or 6, with 3 that would keep. Caught all of our fish on a War Eagle finesse spinnerbait around docks and main lake riprap points. Extremely windy, blowing a sustained 17-20 mph with 30 mph gusts. Warmest water was on the south side of Drake’s Creek which was around 67-69 in some pockets. Main lake water temp was 59-61 degrees.

13. Member
    2nd place today with 13.2, it took 14.2 to win. We were culling from 9:30 to 2:30 when we put it in the trailer. All fish were on a jerk bait, spinner bait, or a small crank bait. All came out of coves where the water was a few degrees warmer than the channel.

14. robdy72
    Good report, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    2nd place today with 13.2, it took 14.2 to win. We were culling from 9:30 to 2:30 when we put it in the trailer. All fish were on a jerk bait, spinner bait, or a small crank bait. All came out of coves where the water was a few degrees warmer than the channel.

Took my son out crappie fishing yesterday - 1 nice keeper and 3 shorts. It was tough watching my Dad and brother pulling them off a tree, including several in the 14"-15" range

At least the boat ran and we didn't hit any big logs running down lake.

Is there still a bunch of trash in the main channel? I did not get to go last week but week before last it was awful in the main channel
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Imavol View Post
    Is there still a bunch of trash in the main channel? I did not get to go last week but week before last it was awful in the main channel
    Looked like a normal day on Sunday, mid-lake.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

19. Moderator
    Trash had cleaned up by Sunday for us as well. I launched at lock 4 and ran to Cairo and back with no issue. Fishing was tough for us though. Hopefully these warm days will warm the water up some more. I was getting 57-59 in coves but 54-55 in main channel still