Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Many people equate Nitro's removable rear bins with less quality. I actually really like that feature. (for reference I had a Z7 for 10 years)
    1. you can store more stuff under the bins
    2. for security, I can remove the bins and carry all the gear/equipment/tackle in them indoors

Triton's 18ft with a 200 is a sweet combo though. that is what my Z7 was and would make it really hard to go with a 150 or 175 rigged boat
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    A friend has a 2020 189 TRX and his has the smooth finished rear storage interior just like my 18 TRX. I have no idea what other year models are this way.
    that’s great to know as well. It’s the one thing I’ve always disliked about my boat-the compartments are just so unfinished and seemed like an afterthought. It’s clear that’s where they saved money on my 2008 18x2 hull. That and the trailer. I did see where they are using much better trailers now-C channel and armor coated. They look solid. The ride is second to none. I have fished KY Lake, LSC, Chick, other big waters when the wind was howling and it did as good as any 18’ bass boat could do in those conditions. The Ranger, Caymus, Nitro 18’ hulls all look like they have less hull depth but that’s just to my eye. I haven’t actually seen measurements-would be interesting to see though.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

Cant beat the 200 on this hull size. I wouldnt want mine with a 175 on it. You would def be able to tell. If you sit and really look at them side by side there is a quality difference. Im not trying to hurt any feelings but bottom line there is. Sometimes things cost more but ive never minded paying for nice things. I have zero complaints with my boat zero. One thing people overlook with standard features is the trailer. On tritons you get brakes standard and nice aluminum wheels. Not optional brakes and a hokey stamped steel chrome wheel. If you get the tandem axle like i did you get BOTH axles with brakes standard equipment. Also a much higher quality trailer. I had a 2008 Tracker it was a great boat and the trailer was really nice on it. Tracker/Nitro trailers now are pretty light duty looking. At the end its your choice for me it was an easy choice.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchance View Post
    Looking into both these boats to be my next. I am looking at both having 4s. Triton with a 200 or Nitro with a 175.

Building a new one, both EQUALLY equipped, the Triton comes in at about $4500 more. (but has a 200 over a 175)

I am asking this same question on the Nitro board. I have owned Nitros with absolutely no issues and were great boats, never owned a Triton.
    Which are you buying and why?

I've owned both. Currently in a 18TRX w/200 Pro XS. For me, they are comparing apples to oranges. Triton build, features, standard equipment, trailer, wheels, overall ride, seat comfort, etc...Fishes much bigger than a 18'9 boat. I'm on KY Lake a lot, no issues at all. I would do it all over again. I did not have any quality issues or problems with my Nitro either. Nitro was nice but more entry level. Triton is a couple steps above.

5. Member
    Just purchased my Triton from Pros Choice. Sat in both Nitro Z20 and Triton 19 TRX Patriot. You sit higher in the Nitro, and down in the Triton. Didn't see a great deal of difference in finish quality, but have to say the Triton just felt a bit more solid.
    2021 19 TRX Patriot

6. Member
    If you are still looking I will throw my 2 cents in. I have been looking for a while now for my retirement boat. To purchase in my area my choices were Nitro, Triton, Ranger, Skeeter, Phoenix. I was looking at glass boats.
    1) Found a Nitro Z18 at BPS that was nice. Loaded up with ghost, 7 inch Lowrance linked console and bow, 150 4s pro xs, single axle trailer. Nice boat. The sticker said out the door said like $45,000 i believe.
    2) Ranger Z185 was nice. A little more expensive but it is a ranger. 150 4s pro xs, single axle trailer, ultrex, 7 inch helix console, but just seemed a little plain.
    3) Skeeter z150 was nice. I visited this boat twice. 150 Yamaha SHO, single axle trailer, 5 inch hummingbird on console, basic 70lb minn kota, but sticker was the cheapest of the bunch but would cost a good bit to bring up to level of the others.
    4) Couldn't sit in the phoenix and would have to order. Rigged like I would really want it was the most expensive and no telling how long it would take to get. Dealer couldn't tell me and might would have to take what they were sent and cost may go up on arrival. Just couldn't bring myself to do that with so many unknown variables.
    5) The one I ended up with was a 2021 Triton 189 TRX with a 175 4s pro xs. Dual axle trailer, Ultrex, Lowrance 7 inch HDS on console, Pro air livewells, plus. It just felt like a tournament rig already compared to others. Added 9 inch HDS on front. Ethernet already run to bow from console. Just had to plug it up. It appears the 189 TRX is no longer made. It is the exact same boat as the 18 TRX just labeled for a price point with 175 max hp. 2022 18 trx with 175 nearly $7000 more than mine. Add another almost $2000 for the 200hp but did come with other extras also. Both out of my budget.

I really wanted a Skeeter but just didn't like some of the features in it I couldn't correct. Small back deck with not much storage, small livewell, only 150 hp. I did like the Nitro too. Good looking boat. Rigged nicely. Some things I didn't like about it that couldn't be corrected was the way you sit in it. You sit so high that the top of your legs are higher than the sides of the boat. I felt like if you turn to sharp you would just slide right on out. I am sure you wouldn't but if felt very uncomfortable. It also made you lean forward to grab the steering wheel. A long ride and I think my back might start hurting in that position. Also the pumps were much smaller than the other boats. 500gph compared to 800 in the triton. The phoenix may have even been bigger but since I had to rule that one out due to the unknown factors it didn't come into play. With the nitro I wasn't really comfortable with having to take it back to BPS in my area for repairs either. Also the fact it had wood in it. I really haven't heard anyone having issues but all it takes is one little flaw that allows water in and you have problems. Nowadays those flaws seem to have to be taken into consideration. The triton was sold through a dealer I have done business with before. The ranger was also sold at this dealer. The Ranger was about the same price as the Triton but really didn't bring the addons like the triton had. For me the 2021 Triton 189 TRX with a 175 was the best fit. It was at the top of my budget but surpassed my expectations of what I could get for that budget so is sitting in my garage with10 hrs on it waiting to hit the water.
    Last edited by Rigit; 12-01-2021 at 09:46 AM.

7. Member
    Triton with the 200 hand's down, bigger motor and more deck space.

8. Member
    Rigit-thx for sharing your review. I had never thought about the gph rating of the pumps-that’s a definite difference! I would also add that the trailer you have is likely better than the Nitro’s trailer-pretty sure the Nitro has tubular steel whereas your Triton has c-channel. But both are covered in gator Hyde or something similar to it.

console comfort and fit is another thing that is more important than I thought I would think it was. Some boats you sit very “on top” of the hull and others with deeper hills you sit more in the hull. Like your 189 and my older 18x2

Only thing I’m not sure about is you mentioned the Nitro still has wood in the boat. I don’t think that’s still the case but could be wrong.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

9. Member
    Just curious guys…..since when does triton use fiberglass in its storage compartments? Never seen one like that…..and current TRX photos on the website show the same rotomolded gray abs plastic storage as used in my 2007.

Or, were you guys referring to the bilge?
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

10. Member
    The two rear compartments are molded plastic (not removable) in mine. The front rod lockers are carpeted and I believe the front center storage is fiberglass.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got2fish View Post
    The two rear compartments are molded plastic (not removable) in mine. The front rod lockers are carpeted and I believe the front center storage is fiberglass.
    This is also how mine is
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

12. Member
    Wood may have been taken out for 2021 but as far as 2020 boats were concerned I believe the z18 still had wood components in it. I have a buddy that was buying a 2020 z18 but backed out when it came up in conversation the boat still had wood encapsulated in fiberglass. I didn't ask what parts or anything. I don't know if it was just a salesman making the statement or what. I guess I should have said that. As far as first hand knowledge I don't positively know. it was enough for me to take it into consideration though. I do have another friend that has a Z19, not sure of the year, and it positively had wood. He had to replace some decking. He had an accident where something heavy that was on a shelve over his boat fell on the deck. He didn't really notice a problem until a while after that happened. He got a soft spot on his front deck that had to be replaced. Good new is it can be fixed. Cant even tell there was a problem with it except for a little different color carpet. There may never be a problem with it. I had older other brand boats that ended up having wood rotting problems and that has scared me away from anything that come close even mentioning wood and boat.
    Last edited by Rigit; 12-02-2021 at 12:43 PM.

13. Member
    That's how my 2005 was and my 2017 is.
    2017 18trx, 200 proxs serial 2B401503

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12