Thread: Destin Florida

Destin Florida

Anyone on here live there or close by? I need some fishing and boat ramp info if possible.

2. Member
    Lived there for 5 years. I can help

3. Member
    I'll be down there may 7 thru 14, staying at the jetty east condo's. Hopefully will be able to fish the beach in the mornings before it gets to crowded. I will also have a jon boat to fish the edges of the bay and flats. I'll have to take the batteries inside to charge. What boat ramp would be best to use to get to the flats? Keep in mind I'm not gonna take the jon across the bay, I'll put in and stay close to the edges.

4. Member
    I’d recommend heading to Fort Walton (Shalimar actually). There is a launch at the hwy 85 bridge in shalimar. Launch there and head north around the point. Look on a map and find Ben’s Lake and Lower Memorial Lake on Eglin AFB. Fish the grass flats between them, especially targeting sand potholes. All you need is a chrome/green back Mirrolure She Dog. Once they stop biting that, use a clear/ red flake DOA shrimp in the pot holes. If you have military base access, you can launch right there on eglin or just wade fish and don’t worry about the boat.

5. Member
    I'm in the National Guard, will that get me access to the base?

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I used to stay at Jetty east every year. It's a short hike to the jetty itself to fish and will be better fishing than the beach. I have caught a bunch of reds there. The is a city ramp not far away. That I used when I carried my boat there.
    This was near the bridge. Caught about 20 this size that day.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I'm in the National Guard, will that get me access to the base?
    Yes. I wouldn’t even haul the boat personally. I’d go on eglin and wade fish the grass flats between Ben’s lake and lower memorial. Mostly trout, few reds, and occasional flounder

8. Member
    Thank's for the tips guy's,

9. Member
    I've fished the Choctawhatchee Bay for 11 years. Though I have zero May experience I would suggest the Bay. I'd suggest Hog Town Bayou launch at Cessna Landing. Large enough area protected from the wind and plenty of pretty spots. My confidence bait is a 3/16 gold jig head w a tiny fluke. X2 on the clear / red flake DOA I like the 1/4 oz. I'd bring some w you I couldn't find that color last I was there. DOA fishing is real slow finesse and color makes a big difference. I also like the N side of the Bay around Alaqua Bayou try Nick's Seafood there for some old school lunch dinners.

10. Member
    Well I've got to take the boat out twice. First time was to Joes Bayou, caught about 5 catfish and a ladyfish. This morning it came a thunder storm before we put in at Bens Lake. Fished about 5 hours and caught 2 catfish and a mullet. I threw the she dog until my arm hurt. I'm going to the beach this evenings to fish a while. I haven't decided if I'll take the boat out tomorrow or fish the beach. I saw a youtube video of someone putting in at Legion Park and fishing around there, I might do that, if I have the energy.....

If you crave bass fishin', go east to Ariel Dunes Resort and fish Stewart Lake. It's full of big bass, groundskeepers told me they've seen several bass over 10 lbs. that were caught and released. I caught most of mine on a pink/shrimp spinnerbait and a TN. Shad Bandit.

(606)305-1956

12. Member
    Redfish and pompano are what I'm after but I would probably have better luck chasing ole bucket mouth.

13. Member
    If you decide to bass fish let me know. I know some good spots
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

14. Member
    Well I went out one more time before heading home. Went to legion park. Wind was blowing hard water was only about 18" at best, had to hold the trolling motor up to be able to move the boat. Anchored at the edge of a big grass flat, in the middle of the flat and the other edge. No hits on anything not even live shrimp. Only thong I can figure for the lack of action this week is it rained a few days, one day was a monsoon, and the wind has blown hard all week and with the exception of a few times it has been quite cool. Hopefully I'll do better this fall.