2021 X19 with 175 sho

Brought it home 2 weeks ago. Had the dealership swap the Power tech prop for a Yamaha Reliance. I assumed it was a 23 pitch. Never assume. Prop is a 19 pitch. After 4 trips totalling about 5 hours of run time, best I have seen is 58.5 mph at about 6400 rpm. Do I need a 21 or a 23 pitch to get mid 60s? I really like the way the boat fishes, compartments are really nice. But I'm unhappy with the speed.

2. Member
    I have the same hull/motor combo and use a Yamaha T2 SHO 23p most of the time. I also have a 22p Tempest Plus that works well with a heavy load and in the heat of the summer; anytime I want to get a few more RPM. You might get mid 60's with a good setup and very little weight. Realistically I'd aim for low 60's. The max speed my GPS has recorded is 64.9 but that was with practically nothing in the boat but fuel and with a good current to my back. I top out around 60-62 most of the time with all my stuff. A good size partner will push it down below 60. These are my experiences. Your mileage may vary.

19P is pretty far off for that boat. I'd probably recommend a 23 or 22 T2 or Tempest Plus. 6400 is a lot of RPM. I try to get mine around 6000 and not go over 6200. The dealer should've known that wasn't the right prop for you. I'd ask them to exchange it.
    Last edited by ajw18; 03-16-2021 at 05:38 PM.

3. Member
    https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...a_07-30-19_alm

Here's a performance bulletin from Yamaha with the 22p T2 Sho prop on your setup.

https://xpressboats.com/wp-content/u...-05-09_ALM.pdf

Here's one with the 23p T2 Sho.

4. Member
    Interesting how 1" pitch effects the most economical cruise speed.

5. Member
    How is the hole shot with the 22 and the 23?

6. Member
    Basically the same.

7. Member
    bankmc, what jack plate setup if any do you have? I don’t believe the Xpress performance bulletin and most dealers are clueless about props and setup for these boats
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

8. Member
    The motor is on a 10" manual Z Lock jack plate made by TH Marine. When I first looked at the boat the bolts were set on the 3rd set of holes from the top. Just checked them out and now they are on the top hole. You can see where they used to be on the 3rd hole before they were moved up. I measured from the pad to center prop and it looks like 5 1/2", which is probably too much in the water.

9. Member
    2” spacers and notice the jack plate is maxed out up. Got to have a prop that likes to run high.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    At 3” prop to pad I have 20 lbs of water pressure. I’m thinking a gauge is a must btw

11. Member
    Posted this a while back, thought I would paste it again here

Let me share some stats that might help you and others get more comfortable with the top end performance of this boat/motor combo... which I mean this with hopes to help others be content and not to take anything away from the fun of tinkering with your boat.

I kept playing around with mine, I had a tro 4 22, then a tro 4 23.... they both ran within 1-2mph of each other.

I was always perplexed by the performance sheet out there on this boat with this motor on the yamaha site... which had the best "speed" with two people at 6000 rpm and 64mph I had seen posted anywhere, including all the forums here. So I found a 23p Sho prop just like in the performance sheet and tried to copy every spec there setup wise. Basically, I bit the bullet once and for all and tried and get that result!

I did an exact copy of the performance sheet that's out there for a 175 with the x19, same motor, same jackplate, same hole position, same prop... same everything even PTP. based on the sheet, they have what calculates out to a 2.25 PTP. I can tell you this, the most you can do PTP is 2.75 based on their hole setting and maxing out the jackplate. So I maxed it out there and took it for a spin... boat actually performed better than expected, but didn't have much gain from 5800 rpm to 6000rpm... at 6000 the boat actually slowed down a bit and was shooting a roaster tail/sucking air. Good water pressure though, just had to trim too high to hit that rpm etc. I'd hit the 61 mark at around 5850 rpm... that's as fast as I could get it to go and it was just me in the boat, tackle, and 30 gallons of fuel. I thought... no way am I getting 64 at 6000 rpm adding a partner in the boat too. So I'm going to call BS on the fact sheet, I don't believe you.

So I lowered it a bit, I've got the motor jacked up almost all the way on the 10" jackplate now but not maxed (its about 3" ptp)... I can push the 5800 rpm mark in this crazy hot water now and get about 60-62 depending on conditions and load without any chine walk. I'm think when the water cools in the fall I might see 1 mph more... But here is the real kicker I've noticed with my partner in the boat and 20 gallons of gas, the top performance goes back to like 56-57mph (and he is a small guy and so am I). Maybe I'll get a little better in cooler water, but not sure.

Final conclusion
    Yes... the Tro4 22/23p and Sho 23p are way better than the stock PT prop that comes on the boat, much better!
    No... the performance sheet with two people getting a consistant 63-64 with the 23p Sho (unless they had the prop worked) can't be true. I did notice my speeds at 5500 were almost exact so I wonder if they just "calculated out" what they thought the speed at 6000 rpm would be.
    Yes... you can try the FXP, Trophy, Fury, Yamaha pro etc etc... tweak your setup all day long until you end up with a sweet spot, but I'm am convinced that sweet spot is going to always land you in that 60-62 range based on reading everything most everyone has posted. If you want to do more than that and have a good handling boat, buy a 200hp!

I run the 23p Sho most always now and have the trop 4 for backup... but they run almost identical, handle is amazing and wouldn't trade that for 2 more mph

Finally 60mph vs. 64mph ain't that much of a difference, I'm just going fishing :)

12. Member
    Curious............why don't the guys that build the boat figure out ahead of time what makes it run right? Why do they leave it up to some shmuck and the dealer that has no clue?

13. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    Curious............why don't the guys that build the boat figure out ahead of time what makes it run right? Why do they leave it up to some shmuck and the dealer that has no clue?
    My guess is they(factory) set it up as safe (as in a novice can't mess it up to bad) as they can and the dealer can change it according to customer. Just a guess.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

14. Member
    Very much appreciate the information. Now to get the dealer to swap props at no charge...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bankmc View Post
    Brought it home 2 weeks ago. Had the dealership swap the Power tech prop for a Yamaha Reliance. I assumed it was a 23 pitch. Never assume. Prop is a 19 pitch. After 4 trips totalling about 5 hours of run time, best I have seen is 58.5 mph at about 6400 rpm. Do I need a 21 or a 23 pitch to get mid 60s? I really like the way the boat fishes, compartments are really nice. But I'm unhappy with the speed.
    Doesn't the limiter kick in at 6200?

16. Member
    Also consider this, you only have 5 hours on the motor. It is still not broken in. I recently passed 20 hours on my 200 Sho (on an X21) and I noticed it does run a little bit faster than I could get out of it early on. I have some tinkering to do as well to find my happy place of a hole shot and top end. More than likely will flash my motor to a 300hp.