Thread: Somerville Lake

Somerville Lake

So me and a few buddies are wanting to do a 3-4 day camp/fishing trip and we were rather not drag our boats up I35 at the moment to hit Fork or other lakes up there (we live in the Harker Heights / Fort Hood area) so we looking at map and thinking of camping at Somerville Lake (Rocky Creek Park).
    I looked at the lake on google maps as well as Navionics and it does not seem to bad, but wondering if anyone has been there lately and how the bite may be in April.
    Thanks in advance for any info!!

Mike

2. Member
    If just bass fishing, Id go camp at fayette, but if you are planning on going after crappie and white bass too then yeah somerville would be a better bet
    2002 BassCat Cougar

3. Member
    Thank you for the tip txdyna! I'll look Fayette up.
    We do like to multi species fish and if Somerville has a good stock of Crappie and Whites, that sounds like dinner for atleast 1 of the nights

4. Member
    Fayette is a slot lake, meaning you can keep anything between 12 and 24 inches, so there probably won’t be a dinner involving your daily catch. You can catch decent numbers though and they will all be little footballs. I believe Somerville may also have hybrids in addition to whites and crappie as well as decent bass fishing.

Somerville is loaded with white bass and you will have better chance at catching a 10lb + black bass.

I know camping gets crowded beginning in April
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Fayette has been producing a lot of fish below the slot. The last couple of years the quality of the bass has dropped. You can catch good numbers but a lot of 12 inch fish. So the slot is now 16 to 24. You will catch a lot of fish well below the 16 inch slot.

7. Member
    Fishing is good in April. The shad spawn is in full swing and things can get fun real quick. Tons of white bass and hybrids. Brush piles all around the lake for crappie. Largemouth fishing is good. You can launch at Rocky creek and drop the trolling motor. The rock along the bank usually has shad running down it early in the morning. The lake is a little low and there is some work being done at the dam. Fayette is not far away and you could spend time at both lakes.
    Brandon
    04 Ranger 520

8. Member
    Thank you all for taking your time to write great responses that are all great information. I will book a site or 2 now before they get all filled up.
    I will probably hit Fayette just to check it out one of the days as well since we will be down there.
    Since I bought my boat last April I have only been on Stillhouse and Belton Lake so I am really looking forward to seeing more of what Texas has to offer and hope to get up to the Lake Fork and surrounding areas as well this summer.
    Again, thank you all!!