Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2008 Optimax 115 just died

<1B507828 2007 Optimax 115>

Last night my wife and I were fishing. We were in a no wake zone at an idle and the motor just died. It wouldn't immediately restart. We fished some then the motor started, sputtered and died again. Sounded like a fuel issue. I checked the fuel bulb and it wasn't firm like it has always been in the past. We trolled to the ramp, but thank God it started and loaded with no problems. Now I'm worried and hesitant to take it to anywhere bigger than our local lake.

Any ideas? Because it started and loaded Im thinking its got junk in the fuel. Maybe a new filter.

Its a 2008 Nitro 189 Sport with the Mercury Optimax 115. We just bought it in December 2020. We have had it on the lake at least 6 times a month since we bought it and it always runs great.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 04-01-2021 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Serial Number provided

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How many times did you have to squeeze the bulb to get it firm? If it was more than 2 times, and you're sure you had adequate fuel in the fuel tank:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Had to pump it several times. I read the entire multiple post you linked. Thanks for the info but there was nothing in there that helped. I found the info on the deteriorating fuel lines and checked right after I made this post.

My fuel line is black from the tank to the bulb and gray with blue writing and a 2019 date from the bulb to the engine.

Any other ideas? I have a fuel filter and tool coming Friday and plan to drain the bowl. The boat had been at idle going forward for maybe 10in when this happened. We had it on the main lake running fine before that.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not 100% certain how to interpret what you did to get it restarted, and loaded on the trailer. If the VST had run dry, and you pumped the bulb enough to refill it, that would of course permit you to restart the engine (though the pump might need to operate for a few seconds to purge the air).

There are other possibilities- though "most" of those would not resolve on their own.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    We had been at a slow forward idle in a long no wake zone for 10 to 15 minutes. Just prior to this it had been wide open on the main lake with no issues. Then the motor simply quit. No warning, pop, surging... nothing. Immediately tried to restart and it turned over easily but wouldn't start. We let it sit for a while then tried again. Still nothing. After letting it sit again, I began to check things. Fuel level was above half a tank. Its fresh and I always use a bit of Quicksilver fuel treatment to help combat the ethanol. DFI oil over half full. Again Quicksilver DFI oil. I checked the primer bulb and it was soft for the first time since I've had the boat. I pumped it several times and it never got firm. The motor started, sputtered, and then died. Seemed like it wasn't getting fuel. I used the trolling motor to get us to the ramp, tied my long anchor rope to the eye, and backed the trailer in the water, thinking I would have to load it manually. Funny thing is that at this point, my wife easily started the motor and loaded it under its own power, including throttling up to push it completely up on the trailer with no issues.

Getting it home, i ordered a fuel filter and filter tool. I researched the problems and have checked the fuel line... its black from the tank to the bulb and gray with blue writing and a 2019 date from the bulb to the fuel bowl. I checked the primer bulb again this morning and after pumping it several times it wont get firm.

Again, we bought it in Dec 2020 from a dealer. The dealer claimed to have serviced it completely before we picked it up... impeller, gear oil, fuel filter, etc... it was super clean and always started easily.

What is VST?

Maybe this will help pinpoint the issue. Thanks again for your input.

6. Member
    recomend you replace bulb line to engine complete to pulse pump no splices and replace fuel pump diaphram kit and gaskets
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Read through this post- recommend that ALL items be done, exactly as described, ALL at the same time.

Don't substitute... don't piece-meal, knock it all out so you aren't chasing debris around the system.

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

8. Member
    Any recommendations on what exactly I need and where to get OEM parts quickly?

9. Member
    European Marine can provide the parts you need. Just give them a call and have your engine serial number ready.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can also order on our website- OR email the Parts Department directly from the website.

11. Member
    I read the post you sent me in the link. My fuel line has is gray with blue letters with 2019 stamped on it. The line looks new and is what is recommended the old stuff be replaced with. The fuel line is one piece black from the tank to the bulb... no splices. The gray line is one piece from the other side of the bulb to the VST. I can see replacing the bub as I guess it could be worn out, and even the diaphragm on the VST. I don't see why the fuel line should be replaced since apparently it was done since 2019 with the recommended hose. Does this hose deteriorate with ethanol as well? Not trying to be difficult so perhaps you can educate me. I only want to do this once, but I can't break the bank in the process. Pics included.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    And now to make things even weirder.... I started working on it this morning. For grins I squeezed the primer bulb and it got firm in 5 squeezes. I could hear it sucking fuel from the tank. I wonder ....

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would at least do from the bulb to the engine, AND the pulse pump kit, AND the fuel filter.

The gray line can potentially be damaged during installation if it is not done correctly (ie: Piping hot cup of water, put end in water for at least 20 seconds, shake water off line and then install on nipple).

If the above is not done, it is possible to fold the inner liner over which begins the process of liner separation/deterioration. And of course- if fuel with excessive ethanol content is left "sitting" in the line, that can also deteriorate it.

14. Member
    I have been checking things while waiting for parts to arrive. I noticed that when I pump the primer bulb, I hear a sucking noise from the fuel tank with each pump. Is this normal?

The primer bulb had bled down since I checked it two days ago. I had pumped it several times until it was firm . It was always firm in the past every time I checked it.

How is this set up inside the tank? Is it possible to bleed off pressure back into the tank?

15. Member
    If your tank doesn't have an anti-siphon valve or it's stuck open fuel can indeed bleed back to tank. Then again, you may just have a defective bulb, is it a Mercury bulb and how old?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Previous owner replaced 2019. It has the Quicksilver logo and the proper part number stamped on it. How do I know if there is an anti siphon valve? Remove the fitting the fuel line is on?

17. Member
    Also looking at it there is a small fitting on the top ofbthe tank. There is no room unless it's on the bottom of that fitting, which in my mind is doubtful.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You are very likely hearing the function of the anti-siphon valve as fuel is being drawn through the bulb.

With today's fuels, the bulb is not likely going to stay "hard" for days. Today's fuels tend to evaporate in the fuel line (even with temps as low as 60 degrees F). This is why it is necessary to pump the bulb firm before EVERY SINGLE engine start.

19. Member
    also a weak pulse pump may be having trouble pulling fuel through anti sy valve will cause your problem, and sticky anti sy valve deff will cause it , the easier it is for fuel to get to vst the better it will run
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

20. Member
    +1 to Don and Joe's replies above!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast